U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2009, 01:30 PM

81 posts, read 158,143 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm hoping that I'll get a few responses from students at CWI and/or TVCC. I'm looking into these schools to fulfill some requirements before applying to the College of Idaho.

I hope to save money, but I also want to be engaged and challenged by my classes. I was in honors classes throughout high school and the quality of education I receive is important to me.

What's your opinion? Which school would you go with based on academics?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 04:40 AM

4,420 posts, read 3,552,000 times
depends on what you want to do...
nursing.. I've heard tv has a superb program..
if you're looking to just do generals to transfer.. I'd do CWI..

Old 05-29-2009, 12:06 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,019,901 times
TVCC runs on the quarter system, as where COI, and BSU both do semesters. Actually to the best of my knowledge, TVCC is the only school in this area that does quarters. This makes it a little tricky to transfer from TVCC to many of the schools in Idaho. I don't know what CWI runs on, although I am pretty sure they do semesters as well. TVCC is a pretty good school, but I have heard that is it a nightmare to transfer from there Unless you have a degree in hand (like an associates). One can get an associated from TVCC and transfer it relatively easily to other schools, but you would have to have your ducks in a row as far as what other schools can add to your degree. This is because some associates degrees in certian fields are just another piece of paper to the other schools around here.

The education at TVCC doesn't seem to be very challenging, at least nowhere near what is expected of you at CoI. I don't know much about CWI because it is relatively new. I think they have some agreements made with BSU, as the CWI campus used to be Boise State West just a while back. And from the best of my knowledge CWI credits and BSU credits are very friendly and easily transferable. And I know for a fact that BSU credits transfer right to College of Idaho. When I transfered from BSU to CoI, every class transfered flawlessly.

I would ask the folks at CoI what they think would be easiest.

Also, if you are going to be living near College of Idaho, TVCC would be the most convenient because it's right down the road, as where CWI is about 12 miles away.

PS: If you're looking to save money, College of Idaho is not the place to do that. they are very spendy. Each semester at College of Idaho costs as much as a whole year at BSU!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM

81 posts, read 158,143 times
Thanks so much for the feedback! This is really helpful. I'm closer to TVCC but I think I'm headed to CWI based on quality of education.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 PM

926 posts, read 1,315,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
TVCC runs on the quarter system, as where COI, and BSU both do semesters. Actually to the best of my knowledge, TVCC is the only school in this area that does quarters. This makes it a little tricky to transfer from TVCC to many of the schools in Idaho. I don't know what CWI runs on, although I am pretty sure they do semesters as well. TVCC is a pretty good school, but I have heard that is it a nightmare to transfer from there Unless you have a degree in hand (like an associates). One can get an associated from TVCC and transfer it relatively easily to other schools, but you would have to have your ducks in a row as far as what other schools can add to your degree. This is because some associates degrees in certian fields are just another piece of paper to the other schools around here.
This is because TVCC is in Oregon, and most (all?) Oregon schools are indeed on the quarter system. It does make transferring more of a problem, though there might be established transfer courses and programs to ensure efficiency. OP should look into it for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
The education at TVCC doesn't seem to be very challenging, at least nowhere near what is expected of you at CoI. I don't know much about CWI because it is relatively new. I think they have some agreements made with BSU, as the CWI campus used to be Boise State West just a while back. And from the best of my knowledge CWI credits and BSU credits are very friendly and easily transferable. And I know for a fact that BSU credits transfer right to College of Idaho. When I transfered from BSU to CoI, every class transfered flawlessly.

I would ask the folks at CoI what they think would be easiest.

Also, if you are going to be living near College of Idaho, TVCC would be the most convenient because it's right down the road, as where CWI is about 12 miles away.
If I'm not mistaken, TVCC is in Ontario, whereas CWI is in Nampa and COI is in Caldwell. Nampa is much closer to Caldwell than Ontario is to Caldwell. So CWI is much closer to both COI (Caldwell) and BSU (Boise) than TVCC.

In fact, I think Ontario is 31 miles from Caldwell, where Nampa is just right there (8 to 9 miles).

Old 06-02-2009, 02:20 AM

657 posts, read 1,493,728 times
TVCC has a Caldwell campus. Not sure how one state can operate a school in another...but they do...and it is still cheaper than Idaho in-state tuition from what I've reviewed (and if I'm understanding it correctly). lol

Old 06-02-2009, 08:43 AM

926 posts, read 1,315,046 times
Oh, I see.

I stand corrected!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,019,901 times
TVCC is quite a bit cheaper, but one can tell in many ways. They are pretty bare bones. They don't have much in the name of a computer lab - or anything for that matter - they share a complex with a staffing agency, an insurance place and a Mexican resturant.

One thing that I noticed also about TVCC is that once you start going there, you are somewhat forced to start going to Ontario because Caldwell can't offer enough classes to do anything with. I think they realized that not many people wanted to drive all the way to Ontario from Canyon and especially Ada counties; so they set up a Caldwell campus to get people started without them really understanding that they WILL have to go to Ontario at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area