Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,317,124 times

Advertisements

For the most part Boise seems to be pretty accepting (or at least tolerant) towards same sex couples. As mentioned of course there are plenty of people who are intolerant of this. But I can say for sure that Canyon County (Nampa-Caldwell) is still pretty stuck in the super religious/conservative state of mind and this area will less tolerant. Boise seems to even have a sort of Gay community, as where Canyon County usually expects you to keep it quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 03:35 PM

365 posts, read 1,216,874 times
You're really going to miss Hillcrest! Boise isn't very tolerant on serious same sex relationships, the older people look down on it (it is a repub state) and the younger people don't really care usually. I'd say you'd feel more comfortable in the downtown area if you live there...don't do the suburbs, especially Eagle or Nampa. Meridian is as far as I would stray...

Good luck with your interview!! Boise is a lovely place overall...gay rights just isn't one of the areas of progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethzski View Post
Hi All,

I am considering relocating to Boise and would like to know a little more about how gay/lesbian friendly the area is.

I live in S.D. and will be going to Boise next month for a job interview in my field. If it goes well, I would seriously like to consider relocating. I am concerned however about how accepting the area and residents are to the lesbian, gay, bi and trans community/individuals who live there. Honestly speaking, I do not want to have my partner come to visit (we will be doing the long-distance thing for a while) and feel like we can't leave the house for fear of being discriminated against. I live in a pretty balanced area of San Diego where there are many college students and the climate seems middle of the road to very liberal.

On another note, how vegetarian-friendly is are the grocery stores in Boise and the area surrounding it? I am a 12+year vegetarian and only eat some fish 1-2 times a month. Is there a Wild Oats, Trader Joes, and/or a Whole Foods in the Boise area?

Also, where is the best place to live if I want a somewhat liberal area of town that is within commuting distance to Emmett? I would like to have neighbors and a community in which I can feel at home.

Thank you for your effort and time in responding to my request. I really appreciate it!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:33 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,902,476 times
my partner and I live downtown.. I'm from seattle.. moved here in 2004..
boise is a lovely place.. and I haven't had ANY issues with being gay here.. in fact the gay clubs and bars are downtown amongst straight bars.. there isn't a "gay neighborhood" like most larger cities have..
it's very live and let live...
Granted, I never go out to canyon county or meridian for that matter really...
I'm well aware that there's probably people I come in contact with that disapprove or harbor ill feelings.. but they haven't said anything or made it known in any way to me or my partner...
I think it's a matter of.. if you're looking for it.. I'm sure you could find it.. but if you just do your thing.. you shouldn't see much of a difference between boise and san diego...

Old 05-30-2009, 03:27 AM

215 posts, read 786,246 times
thanks boiseguy for getting a personal perspective in here...I think you're right about the "live and let live" attitude here about same-sexed couples....and again I say yes you're going to get those people out there with negative views about it, but I believe there are more people out there who are just living their own lives with more important things to do other than try to control other peoples' lives. I live in Meridian and yes it's more of a suburbian feel than downtown and the northend, but that's ok...we don't bite! : )

Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,902,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinl5 View Post
thanks boiseguy for getting a personal perspective in here...I think you're right about the "live and let live" attitude here about same-sexed couples....and again I say yes you're going to get those people out there with negative views about it, but I believe there are more people out there who are just living their own lives with more important things to do other than try to control other peoples' lives. I live in Meridian and yes it's more of a suburbian feel than downtown and the northend, but that's ok...we don't bite! : )
agreed
many of my coworkers live in meridian..
I think the only real difference is.. boise is mostly 2 person households.. while meridian and canyon county is more suburban with families...
That fact is reflected in our schools.. Boise school district has fewer high schools than meridian school district (which is the largest in the state mind you) and boise has triple the population meridian/eagle does...
I know of gay couples with kids that live in meridian.. so it's more a lifestyle difference..
Certainly there is political difference though.. meridian/westboise is pretty republican leaning.. where as boise is democratic...
but just because you're republican doesn't mean you harbor ill feelings towards gays and gay relationships...
Its hard to explain.. but you'll have to see for yourself.. also there is a large LDS population out in meridian/westboise and canyon county... so that reflects it a lot.. Most LDS people are harmless, and mean well even though they have their beliefs... it is what it is... but certainly nobody is going to throw around hate towards you by any means...

Old 05-30-2009, 10:15 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,692,977 times
I haven't seen it as an issue in Boise, however; as other posters have stated, it may be more of an issue as you get into the burbs'. People here seem to be pretty accepting for the most part. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area