U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:33 PM

155 posts, read 580,669 times

Advertisements

We are hopefully VERY soon relocating to Boise area - Burb or city - can anyone tell me (so I may relay it to my 12 yr old son) what is the local habitat there???
His questions have been - what kind of bugs? mosquitoes? lots of Flys? Wasps? etc.
Are the skunks, squirrels, snakes,? Deer, Bear, Wolves,?
and he means in the suburbs or in the city itself - in the living conditions of every day life
ANy help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 03:18 AM
HDL
Status: "Merry CHRISTmas and a Happy 2015 to all :-)!" (set 5 days ago)

2,821 posts, read 3,940,653 times
Smile Yes, we have all of the bugs and animals you mention

I believe this issue has been addressed before and you can do a search, but I will try to help you also .

Last summer I had a boatload of wasps and I even got stung (first time in a very long time so I now keep credit cards handy to scrape the stinger off !). We have mosquitos, but they have not been a problem for me or my dogs so far. There is spraying for mosquitos in Ada County and I guess the local officials are noticing an increase in West Nile Virus. I don't worry about it myself, as we don't have the kind of east coast humidity which makes the mosquito problem even worse !

We do have regular flies (I hear there are all kinds, but I've only only noticed one kind here ). They are just starting to come out again as most 'bugs' disappear during the cold winter months and can be seen again as the warm weather makes its' appearance.

I personally don't like bugs or wild animals in my home and/or yard and so far I've been happy with Boise and not had any real issues. Last year I did have to whack at quite a few wasp nests and spray all over, but that was my worst problem and for me just a minor inconvenience .

Best wishes for your upcoming move!

I've seen a snake (probably garden, but I'm not good at ID'g them), smelled a skunk, drove by a deer that had been hit and read about wolves in the newspaper. One creature I am fond of and gets lots of in my yard are quails . They are a beautiful bird and normally can be seen in large groups running from yard to yard looking for food .

Quote:
Originally Posted by deem View Post
We are hopefully VERY soon relocating to Boise area - Burb or city - can anyone tell me (so I may relay it to my 12 yr old son) what is the local habitat there???
His questions have been - what kind of bugs? mosquitoes? lots of Flys? Wasps? etc.
Are the skunks, squirrels, snakes,? Deer, Bear, Wolves,?
and he means in the suburbs or in the city itself - in the living conditions of every day life
ANy help would be appreciated

Old 04-11-2007, 09:59 AM

36 posts, read 147,833 times
Is there a tick problem? (I HATE ticks)!!

Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 AM

630 posts, read 1,669,399 times
Default yes and no

Yes there are ticks, and no it's not a problem.
Just depends on where you are.
Just make sure that if you go off fishing somewhere to check your clothes when you come home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevenhounds View Post
Is there a tick problem? (I HATE ticks)!!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:29 PM

36 posts, read 147,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoReturn View Post
Yes there are ticks, and no it's not a problem.
Just depends on where you are.
Just make sure that if you go off fishing somewhere to check your clothes when you come home.

Well, THAT I can handle. I talked to a woman once in MO who said that ticks would fall out of the trees into her hair! Gah! Glad to know that ID isn't like that!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 03:32 PM

155 posts, read 580,669 times
thanks for all the information - just wanted to make sure a coyote or a deer or a bear wasn't going to show up on our back porch
we have a dog we love very much - so we don't want ticks, mosquitoes
bees and wasps are nasty - blowing through the open windows
flys - well, a fly is a fly -

Old 04-11-2007, 03:35 PM

171 posts, read 730,325 times
In Boise area there are tons of deer, racoons, fox, coyote, and even the occassional mountain lion in the foothills areas. There are wolves in the Sawtooth National recreation area in Stanley Idaho which is about 2 1/2 hours from Boise. I know that is a not a comprehensive list but some of the larger ones. Aside from the wolves, the other animals are common visitors in the foothil neighborhoods.

Last edited by idahomama; 04-11-2007 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-11-2007, 07:26 PM

At my moms house, she had deer coming down every year eating her bushes.
She got so tired of it, that she started leaving out feeder boxes.
I think the neighbors complained so she stopped feeding them, and they started eating everyones bushes again.
She lived off of highway 21, right before Lucky Peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomama View Post
In Boise area there are tons of deer, racoons, fox, coyote, and even the occassional mountain lion in the foothills areas. There are wolves in the Sawtooth National recreation area in Stanley Idaho which is about 2 1/2 hours from Boise. I know that is a not a comprehensive list but some of the larger ones. Aside from the wolves, the other animals are common visitors in the foothil neighborhoods.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 AM

39 posts, read 177,582 times
Default Bugz N' Critters

I love this rain brings out the EarWigs!!!!

It's going to be very buggy this year, I can just tell.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 AM

Funny,
You know, I forgot about the earwigs.

I remember seeing a scary show once where an earwig crawled into this guys ear and ate it's way all the way through his head and came out the other side. EWWWWWWWWWWWWww....
The scary part was that it laid eggs.

I think the show was Night Gallery...
Anyone remember that show?

I don't like earwigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGUN View Post
I love this rain brings out the EarWigs!!!!

It's going to be very buggy this year, I can just tell.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area