U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2009, 07:48 AM

12 posts, read 25,812 times
Default A liberal transplants perspective after 6 years...

I moved to boise from Dallas 6 years ago, I have lived in LA, san francisco, portland, scottsdale, colorado mountains, destin, florida and germany so I have many places to compare.

The weather is lovely, McCall just two hours away which is a fabulous weekend get away in winter or summer. The skiing is great and there are many mountains close by to choose from. There are a ton of skate parks which is great for the boys and the river is fun place to get some outdoor exercise. Downtown is nice in the day and the night, it is safe to walk pretty much anywhere. The camping is wonderful and if you like fishing you'll love it here.

I live in Bridgetower subdivision and the property is nice but I am not happy with the neighborhood. I am a liberal non demoninational christian who likes to meditate and do yoga and I have felt very stifled here. I have far too many lds neighbors who don't like noisy parties, not that I have one every weekend but three times a year is not so much, I invite them but they never come and I get the impression that they disapprove. They probably do, se la vie... I can't wait to move to the other side of town where the "normal" people live, but alas property values prohibit a sale right now.

If you are okay with the very critical right wing you would love it here in Bridgetower. Please don't get me wrong, people are nice, just not inclusive. The lds are a cliquie group and don't generally let outsiders in.

My husband is a director at a large corporation and he says it is the same at his office. In fact he mentioned that almost all of the new hires that the lds people on his team made were of other lds people. That being said if you need a job, join the church.

There is very little crime here of note however because of that the teenagers are scrutinized very closely. Coming from big cities that is almost never the case as the police have bigger fish to fry but here there is a midnight curfew and they are watching. That does not prevent the teens from having access to almost any drug they can think of.

Things I miss...
Sunday brunches at fancy hotels, not a one here, most people here have never even been to one.
Being in a flight hub, you have to puddle jump to get most anywhere except Vegas and Seattle (I don't count SLC).
Buried power lines, the skys are scarred by ugliness, there is not one area of town without them. I cried when I was in the car with the real estate agent looking at homes, no lie.
The truly upscale, if you've seen it you know it, if you haven't, you don't.
Thunder storms, always wimpy and maybe two a year if I'm lucky.
Toni & Guy hair salons, so far it is a crap shoot, no matter how much I pay.

I am a stay at home mom and I thought for a time that all of Boise was like my neighborhood but I just needed to get out a little. I found a nice church that I like but it is small and not as close as I would like but I had to drive when I lived in all of the other cities I mentioned. There are some really great publications that connect the like minded here locally which was a great find for me. I wanted to leave idaho as soon as my youngest graduated but now I feel like I don't need to leave town but just find the right neighborhood.

I highly recommend the catholic schools in town. I only have experience with Bishop Kelly but I absolutely LOVE them. They have very high academic standards, and they are kind and supportive. I did not find that to be the case for the most part in the public schools in the Meridian ISD. Private schools won't eliminate all problems but I know it seriously improved the attendance in my children's peer group as well as attentiveness of the parents of my children's peers. The transition was a bit difficult as many of the children had been attending school together since elementary.

If I could move tomorrow to a new home in town I would choose a home in a neighborhood on the river where you can ride your bike out onto the greenbelt or downtown for lunch, dinner or drinks. The best one I've seen is near the end of parkcenter blvd. The homes are older but nice and there is a park for smaller children. The trees are big and I could imagine raising children and retiring in the same home.

All in all I am glad that I live here but I wish I knew what I know now when I flew in to buy a house.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:05 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,671,195 times
Many of us LDS folk don't really like liberals :-). I am glad you enjoy Idaho!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 AM

What is kind of ironic is that my grandparents on both sides are lds. I never noticed any kind of separatism within the family or my lds friends until I moved here. Perhaps because I had one foot in so to speak, my grandmother is still very active in the church. My family is from a very small town in Colorado where the population is under 5K, even now when I go to church with my grandmother everyone is so nice. I appreciate the welcome and really mean no disrespect.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:45 AM

2,808 posts, read 3,715,376 times
I found your post very interesting. I just got back from seeing Boise for the first time. I'm not sure where your neighborhood is. I saw couple of neighborhoods on the west side in 83713 (Bristol Hgts and Combes Park). I was wondering if those neighborhoods were predominantly LDS. I absolutely loved Hyde Park Historic District and some of the streets around Warm Springs, but you don't get much house or yard for the money. Can you tell me if West Boise is similar to Meridian? Like most places, I find that the areas with the best schools are the priciest. I also liked Island Woods in Eagle, but it's pricey. We tend to like the more established neighborhoods, but some of the 1990's neighborhoods were surprisingly tree-lined and un-cookiecutterish.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:53 AM

1,043 posts, read 2,077,368 times
A stay at home Mom AND Liberal? You better keep that quiet or you may get your card pulled..HAHA I keeid I keeid...

Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,837,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borgia View Post
I have far too many lds neighbors who don't like noisy parties
I'm an irreligious leftist (for the most part) and I would love to have neighbors who don't like noisy parties (and don't blast their stereos, and don't shake my building with the boomin' systems in their cars, etc.).

If I move to Boise (a possibility as I am including that city in my job hunt) I hope I move to a part of the city with weird people who don't like noise. I care more about peace and quiet than making friends with my neighbors.

(Incidentally, this is not to bash where I currently live, which is not too bad for noise.)

Quote:
Thunder storms, always wimpy and maybe two a year if I'm lucky.
Maybe the LDS don't like thunder storms either.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:41 PM

88 posts, read 200,558 times
Borgia - are you talking about Spring Meadow? I loved that neighborhood too when I came to visit but they only have smaller homes (3 beds) unless you don't mind the house backing up to the new parkcenter blvd (there are 2 4 bed homes available on the busy side). We went there right after we got off the plane b/c I was so excited to see it but I don't want to live backing up to a busy road so we didn't buy there.

I also was sad to see so many gigantic overhead power lines. I ruled out entire areas b/c of that as I really didn't want that eye sore and felt nervous about the risks of living so close to them.

I found your post interesting too and it also confirmed what I had heard about living in West Boise/Meridian. I am not lds but protestant (and a stay at home liberal mom!!) and I have never in any of the places i have ever lived (which include the UK, Netherlands, Germany, and, in the USA, NYC and El Paso) considered religion when looking for a home but felt I had to consider it this time b/c I have little kids and want them to feel included in their home and school environment.

Hope you get to move to your preferred neighborhood soon! I am glad to know that otherwise you do still like the area.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbd6805 View Post
Borgia - are you talking about Spring Meadow? I loved that neighborhood too when I came to visit but they only have smaller homes (3 beds) unless you don't mind the house backing up to the new parkcenter blvd (there are 2 4 bed homes available on the busy side). We went there right after we got off the plane b/c I was so excited to see it but I don't want to live backing up to a busy road so we didn't buy there.

I also was sad to see so many gigantic overhead power lines. I ruled out entire areas b/c of that as I really didn't want that eye sore and felt nervous about the risks of living so close to them.

I found your post interesting too and it also confirmed what I had heard about living in West Boise/Meridian. I am not lds but protestant (and a stay at home liberal mom!!) and I have never in any of the places i have ever lived (which include the UK, Netherlands, Germany, and, in the USA, NYC and El Paso) considered religion when looking for a home but felt I had to consider it this time b/c I have little kids and want them to feel included in their home and school environment.

Hope you get to move to your preferred neighborhood soon! I am glad to know that otherwise you do still like the area.

I am not sure what the name of the subdivision is, frankly I can't recall a sign at the entrance. I think that spring meadow may be a bit further down as I don't recall any construction right near where I was looking. The houses that back up to parkcenter would not work for me because of the traffic either however there are some portions of the neighborhood that are a bit removed from the busy street. Due to the market we can afford to take our time looking which is a great thing. Keep me posted on your hunt, I am interested to see where you find your new home.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 PM

2,808 posts, read 3,715,376 times
Borgia, are you familiar with Combes Park and Bristol Heights? Are those neighborhoods very conservative?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:42 PM

I am sorry I am not familiar with those neighborhoods. If you can give major cross streets I may have a friend in that direction I can ask for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area