Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:15 PM

146 posts, read 386,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbd6805 View Post
i read it was a blend of stepford and pleasanville. and we visited and saw the store was really tiny and supposedly never has anything in stock anyway and its overpriced.
well, it sells stuff, but it's not a "store" per se, just like the queen is a figurehead, so is the "store" at hidden springs...

the place is more a blend of comatose and arrogance if you ask locals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 AM

23 posts, read 65,048 times
Default Information on Hidden Springs...

Having just moved to Rolling Hills (just above HS) I think I can help with information.

First, no question that visiting in person is best. Having said that here are some misconceptions:

1. Housing is all the same, too close together. The only thing uniform about the housing is that it is all relatively new (1999 and later) and high quality custom homes. Most are energy star and constructed by various high quality firms like Boise Hunter). Near the town center you have homes on no-maintenance lots, similar to what Boise Hunter is building at Warm Springs. Outlying parts of HS like Schicks Ridge/Rolling Hills, you have large luxury homes on 1/3 acre lots adjacent to open space. Styles are very diverse with very little if any duplication.

2. Strict HOA controlling what you can do. This is mostly true. You'll notice that there are very few if any unkept homes or yards, strange colors, trailers parked outside, cars up on blocks etc. Having lived in neighborhoods without HOA's or that didnt enforce standards I much prefer this approach, some folks however may not.

3. Too far from shopping, work, river, etc. Of course where you actually work or want to go will determine if this is a good location for you. But there are 3 routes in and out of HS. In 2 to 7 miles of mostly empty road with no traffic lights you can get to downtown Boise (8 miles?), Hwy 55 North for a Subway & gas station(2 miles), convenience stores Albertsons, Super Walmart, Home Depot, Winco etc are on State (6miles) The little Merc in HS is alive and well, like an old time convenience store (beer, wine, pop, snacks & sundries) and fountain with burgers, pizza sandwiches, breakfast etc.

4. Stepford like atmosphere. I think this mostly comes from the fact that the entire development is new, uniformly well kept up, and intended to look like a small country village set in a relatively unspoiled rural area. Social class, religion, politics etc appear to be diverse (we just moved there this spring)

5. Hard to get in and out of in winter. I havent gone through a winter, but HS is maybe 300 feet in elevation higher than most parts of Boise, I dont expect that's enough to make a significance difference in terms of snowfall or temps. Like I note above there are 3 routes in and out of the HS, so I doubt there is a difference in winter time access.

6. Contributes to Sprawl. Not in the typical sense anyway. Sprawl is Eagle, Meridian, Nampa or even Boise south of 84. This is an isolated, green and well planned little community, they even run their own sewage system and reclaim the water for irrigation. Have a community farm, lots of open space. For more information and a better sense of what HS is about check out its website, just type in Hidden Springs in your search engine.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 AM

6 posts, read 25,651 times
It's kind of like Wisteria Lane on Desparate Housewives, or the Stepford Wives....too perfect and unrealistic. Teens struggle as it's boring with not enough to do...too far from Boise and civilization. It is close to one thing...the huge landfill. Not for me! So many nice places in Boise and Eagle....you might want to explore a little more.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuchta View Post
Having just moved to Rolling Hills (just above HS) I think I can help with information.

First, no question that visiting in person is best. Having said that here are some misconceptions:

1. Housing is all the same, too close together. The only thing uniform about the housing is that it is all relatively new (1999 and later) and high quality custom homes. Most are energy star and constructed by various high quality firms like Boise Hunter). Near the town center you have homes on no-maintenance lots, similar to what Boise Hunter is building at Warm Springs. Outlying parts of HS like Schicks Ridge/Rolling Hills, you have large luxury homes on 1/3 acre lots adjacent to open space. Styles are very diverse with very little if any duplication.

2. Strict HOA controlling what you can do. This is mostly true. You'll notice that there are very few if any unkept homes or yards, strange colors, trailers parked outside, cars up on blocks etc. Having lived in neighborhoods without HOA's or that didnt enforce standards I much prefer this approach, some folks however may not.

3. Too far from shopping, work, river, etc. Of course where you actually work or want to go will determine if this is a good location for you. But there are 3 routes in and out of HS. In 2 to 7 miles of mostly empty road with no traffic lights you can get to downtown Boise (8 miles?), Hwy 55 North for a Subway & gas station(2 miles), convenience stores Albertsons, Super Walmart, Home Depot, Winco etc are on State (6miles) The little Merc in HS is alive and well, like an old time convenience store (beer, wine, pop, snacks & sundries) and fountain with burgers, pizza sandwiches, breakfast etc.

4. Stepford like atmosphere. I think this mostly comes from the fact that the entire development is new, uniformly well kept up, and intended to look like a small country village set in a relatively unspoiled rural area. Social class, religion, politics etc appear to be diverse (we just moved there this spring)

5. Hard to get in and out of in winter. I havent gone through a winter, but HS is maybe 300 feet in elevation higher than most parts of Boise, I dont expect that's enough to make a significance difference in terms of snowfall or temps. Like I note above there are 3 routes in and out of the HS, so I doubt there is a difference in winter time access.

6. Contributes to Sprawl. Not in the typical sense anyway. Sprawl is Eagle, Meridian, Nampa or even Boise south of 84. This is an isolated, green and well planned little community, they even run their own sewage system and reclaim the water for irrigation. Have a community farm, lots of open space. For more information and a better sense of what HS is about check out its website, just type in Hidden Springs in your search engine.
Misconceptions or facts?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,692,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfredrick View Post
It's kind of like Wisteria Lane on Desparate Housewives, or the Stepford Wives....too perfect and unrealistic. Teens struggle as it's boring with not enough to do...too far from Boise and civilization. It is close to one thing...the huge landfill. Not for me! So many nice places in Boise and Eagle....you might want to explore a little more.
...there's also thsose pesky swinger rumors about Hidden Springs

Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 AM

I've heard the swinger rumor too. Actually, I know someone who knows first hand of one couple out there that is definitely into that. She and her husband were invited out to the HS couple's house for dinner. They showed up and weird things started to happen. They left early.

Hidden Springs has a weird perfect movie set auro. Not for me. Yuk.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:56 PM

23 posts, read 65,048 times
Thanks for mentioning the landfill, its the only thing I didnt address. You pass by it on 1 of the 3 routes into HS. Its handy to have it so close, but downwind, downslope and out of sight of HS, (which is more than you can say for Eagle, Meridian and the rest of the valley)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area