Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 02:14 AM

18 posts, read 65,166 times

Advertisements

I've seen a lot on the subject of jobs but I'm wondering about the finances of the state and cities of boise and the surounding areas themselves. If you see any news from CA you know that the state has serious problems. Has Idaho been any wiser with their money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:27 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
Our leaders have done a decent job at keeping our state out of debt, but it's been a real struggle and it's been at the expense of our education system (at all levels), among other things.

Nothing compared to Cali, though. .

Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Idaho ends fiscal year with balanced budget | Idaho Politics | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/idahopolitics/story/821040.html - broken link)

Idaho ends fiscal year with balanced budget
- Idaho Statesman
Published: 07/01/09

Idaho Gov. Butch Otter said Wednesday that the State of Idaho ended the fiscal year through June 30 with a balanced budget and "with its financial house in order. "

Old 07-03-2009, 10:03 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times
The reaction to the budget in Idaho is very different than in California. In California, if there is even the talk of a cut, those who stand to be impacted start complaining and screaming like the world is ending. In Idaho you hear very little complaining. That's not to say that people are happy about the cuts or that there are no concerns or complaints heard. But there seems to be more of an acceptance that the state needs to live within its means. I know the attitude of the citizens is different, in general, but there might also be a difference in how the media covers the budget too.

The only talk I heard about tax increases was about raising the gas tax to pay for more road maintenance.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:15 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,843 times
Just the fact that Idaho has the willingness and the ability to balance their budget is one of the reasons why the state is so attractive to us in California.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:57 AM

314 posts, read 1,218,099 times
After having lived in California for half of my life and Boise for 1 year--California has a revenue problem, not an expenditure problem. California was in the hole $14bil before Arnie took office. That hole has grown to $24bil. This gap is the result of 30 years of Prop 13. If California ever wants to return to Golden status, it will repeal Prop 13. I don't think Californians will ever repeal Prop 13, hence I gave up on the state.

Idaho has no such problems, but only a quick-trigger when it comes to the appreciation for education. This will hurt down the road, when bigger companies want to relocate here but only discover an uneducated worker pool....

Old 07-06-2009, 12:44 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Cool Here's what the Idaho Statesman had to say today

Idaho ends fiscal year with balanced budget | Idaho Politics | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/idahopolitics/story/821040.html - broken link)

Idaho Gov. Butch Otter said Wednesday that the State of Idaho ended the fiscal year through June 30 with a balanced budget and "with its financial house in order. "

"Our system of safeguards, checks and balances works," Otter said in a Wednesday statement. "But it only works as well as the people who operate it. And that, in turn, is a direct reflection on the citizens whose values and civic virtue are carried forward by their public servants." Otter said he is planning for another likely difficult budget year and keeping the state in good financial shape means "making tough decisions about things like holdbacks, program cuts, furloughs and even layoffs."

Old 07-06-2009, 12:55 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
After having lived in California for half of my life and Boise for 1 year--California has a revenue problem, not an expenditure problem. California was in the hole $14bil before Arnie took office. That hole has grown to $24bil. This gap is the result of 30 years of Prop 13. If California ever wants to return to Golden status, it will repeal Prop 13. I don't think Californians will ever repeal Prop 13, hence I gave up on the state.

Idaho has no such problems, but only a quick-trigger when it comes to the appreciation for education. This will hurt down the road, when bigger companies want to relocate here but only discover an uneducated worker pool....
I'm not going to engage in a California political argument with you in the Idaho forum so I will just say there is another side your assertion. Prop 13 is not the problem in California. I always laugh and shake my head when I hear that claim. The property taxes are low but every other tax is among the highest in the nation. Under Schwarzenegger spending has grown faster than it did under Davis who was recalled for his reckless spending.

States raise money through three main forms of taxes - property, sales and income (and then also through various fees). One of the things I like about Idaho is that the revenue collection for the state is fairly balanced. All three tax rates are average.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:54 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
Yes, let's stay away from arguing fiscal policy. We need to limit ourselves to sharing facts about Idaho...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area