Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 24,301 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have just moved to Boise and am trying to figure things out. I have seen the what cable company to use thread, however, I only need internet and not tv. Do you have any recommendations in this respect? Any preferences on the company to use for internet connection?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,011,966 times
I have Digis at home and have been pretty happy with them. However, the one time I tried to stream a TV show it didn't work so well. I haven't tried it a while though.

I also have Digis at work at the service has been very spotty. Sometimes it gets slow for a few minutes at a time.

I guess it depends on how you intend to use it.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:28 PM

993 posts, read 3,240,123 times
Over the hill in Emmett Valley I am told that Quest has DSL or wireless through a local guy.

Anything I should know about the 2 options ???

Old 08-22-2009, 05:49 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,011,966 times
Just like Digis, my Qwest at our house was fine. At work it was spotty.

If you have the option to get Qwest DSL without dealing with Qwest then I would probably go that route. I really can't think of many other companies that are as difficult to deal with and just plain incompetent. The workers are nice but something always gets messed up.

Check out the download speeds. The nice thing about Digis is the upload speed is about 2 mb.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:04 AM

424 posts, read 1,373,849 times
The Qwest standalone internet is the best option for the money. I don't recommend Cable One as their bandwidth caps (their listed speed is peak speed and if you download/stream more than 1.5-2GB then they cut your peak speed by 40%). Not to mention they like to watch your i-net activities like a hawk. A lot of it though depends on what you plan on using your connection for as that will help us determine what the best connection/service is. I would avoid wireless i-net unless you really need it.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 PM

8 posts, read 24,301 times
I use internet for work/doing research, for email, and for watching movies/television. I actually like having wireless, as I move around a lot in the house. What about clearwire? Anyone use them?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,615,234 times
Clearwire is a lot slower than either cable or DSL. You can use it in a lot of areas outdoors, though.

I've used both CableOne and Qwest. Currently I have Qwest, since they don't have a hard cap on your speed, and the cost of their 7MB service is about the same as CableOne's 3MB service.

If you want wireless in your house, just get a wireless router.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:34 PM

133 posts, read 287,835 times
Before this month, I could not recommend my service Clearwire because of the limited bandwidth. However, they just upgraded all their customers to WiMax, and it is much better now.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:58 AM

424 posts, read 1,373,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Clearwire is a lot slower than either cable or DSL. You can use it in a lot of areas outdoors, though.

I've used both CableOne and Qwest. Currently I have Qwest, since they don't have a hard cap on your speed, and the cost of their 7MB service is about the same as CableOne's 3MB service.

If you want wireless in your house, just get a wireless router.
I concur. Clearwire is significantly slower than the speeds offered by Qwest and for what you are looking at doing, you are definitely going to want at least 7-12Mbps.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:11 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,413,129 times
I've had 3 with Qwest for years, and they just upgraded me to 7 for free for a year. I don't notice even the slightest difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area