U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-27-2009, 09:59 PM

61 posts, read 141,395 times
Default What is the "north end"?...and other questions

There is a thread titled "North End" vs. Meridian, but I couldn't get a good feel geographically of what the north end is comprised of. We have an offer on a short sale in Eagle that is taking forever, so we are expanding our house buying horizons to Boise. We looked at some houses in Quail Hollow (a little bit east of Pierce Park, Collister) and I thought that was the "North End", but I think I'm wrong. What is it, really?

I have driven through areas south of Hill Road to get to downtown, which seemed to be older tree lined streets with classy older houses. Is this what most north end homes are like? While I definitely see value in that, we are more contemporary people, and prefer land over urbanness (although I would live in a Manhattan high rise over either any time...haha).

Thanks for any input! We are first time homebuyers in the area and may have to scramble in the next month to find something if the short sale continues to drag (4 months and counting...).

Additionally - my husband is a dentist and works primarily in Meridian, although there are offices in Boise and Nampa he is working in now, though temporarily. What would the opposite of rush hour drive be like, from the north end to Meridian? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,715 times
Wow you have some good question. The North end is Harrison Blvd is The north end is state st that runs east and west anything north of state street is north and so on......The drive would not be fun, it would take probably close to a hour to get home. State st and Eagle are the worse st and fairview, then the freeway backs up for quite some time. I recently just moved away from Boise but I lived there for 5 years or so. So if you you need more answers just let me know.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,818,155 times
What comprises the North End is debateable, but people generally consider it to be all the older development North of State, West of where Warm Springs breaks into Downtown, and East of Collister. The East End areas such as Table Rock and Warm Springs happily distinguish themselves, so most of the debate falls to the West side. Some say it goes as far as Pierce Park or even ID-55. Others say it ends closer to 36th. Since there is no technically declared boundary, there's no definitive answer to offer that inquiry, but you'll get the idea and probably develop your own opinion as you get to know the vicinity.

And MasterShake is right. A commute to Meridian from the North End and back would be punishing in rush hour. For working in Meridian but enjoying the land prospects in the foothills, Eagle would unfortunately be your best bet. State, Fairview, and Chinden are infamous for traffic, and Hill Rd is windier and slower than maps make it appear.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:35 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,095,952 times
I would have to scale-down Stringray's definition of what comprises Boise's true North End. Yeah, it pretty much does run north of State street, and is bounded by Warm SPrings Ave. to the East and Hill Rd. to the north. But to me, the western border should be more like 27th Street. This is the true historic district, with Harrison Blvd. being the "heart" of the area.
Now, that being said, many realtors will try to pass of homes north of State, and betweenCollister and 36th as "North End" so as to command higher prices--the North End is seen as a very desirable and trendy place to live--but in my opinion there is nothing historic or special about those homes out that far west, and indeed that neighborhood is even a bit sketchy.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:41 PM

417 posts, read 754,683 times
Yeah, I'm with you there. Although IMHO the true north end does extend to about 36th (as far as going west is concerned). I agree on all other boundaries though.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:12 PM

1,362 posts, read 2,318,564 times
What some of you are forgetting is there is the "North End Historic District" with its boundaries and then there is the more general North End which extends beyond the historic district boundaries. The historic homes stretch from the Federal Building/Fort Boise all of the way to 27th. The area around Warm Springs Ave is not the North End but considered the East End but there isn't an East End Historic District, it is referred to as the Warm Springs Historic District. I don't think that realtors can inflate prices of homes between 36th and Collister by simply calling it the North End, the prices are determined by different measures than merely being labeled the North End.
That area, 36th to Collister is still inner city, near downtown, which influences the higher prices. If someone wants to buy a historic home near downtown and does not want to pay Northend prices then look South of State to Idaho Street and between 27th and 16th. The homes are historic, smaller than north of State, but on smaller lots and prices are lower mainly because there are more homes that need rehab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area