Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:27 PM

114 posts, read 288,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise-terous View Post
I am finding it hard to locate any online forum, purely or largely political, centred on Boise.

Anyway I welcome the opportunity to say the following:

Ada County property tax is outrageous.

Sales tax on food is ourtageous.
Property taxes look to be just a touch over 1% on average???? how is that outrageous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 12:02 AM

73 posts, read 194,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMANFZ1 View Post
Could you elaborate on this. I am looking to move to get away from the filth here and tired of constant robbing of our dollars for fees and taxes. I wouldn't think that your tax would be worse than ours. Our sales tax alone is 8.975% not to mention that we pay $.54 per gallon of gas for state and federal taxes.

Sales tax is 6%, people that say it's outrageous need to go spend a week in California where the lowest is probably like 8.75% and go to LA and its in the 10% range.

I just moved out here and the taxes are NOT high.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:23 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKC View Post
Hey, I'm new to this site. My wife and I are thinking about moving to Boise...I was wanting some information regarding the tone of political and religious views around Boise. Also if there is anything else you could add about the area that would also be nice (i.e. outdoor activities, tax information, good place for dogs?...things like that). Thank you for any helpful information you can give me.

regds, Matt
I don't know much about Boise Idaho but this should do it some justice:

Idaho Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial

It's an interactive memorial for human rights. As you begin in the first exhibit you wind up a little box that plays information for you and then you just keep going from spot to spot in numbered order. It's the most amazing thing I've ever seen as far as learning about a city goes. When you get to the very end you'll probably be pretty shocked. It really is amazing. Also a highschool friend of Anne Frank planted a tree there right at the end.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djallude View Post
Sales tax is 6%, people that say it's outrageous need to go spend a week in California where the lowest is probably like 8.75% and go to LA and its in the 10% range.

I just moved out here and the taxes are NOT high.

I think Idaho ranks around 15th(give or take) for the tax burden. While it may not be high compared to CA, it's high compared to several other states.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingfan View Post
Property taxes look to be just a touch over 1% on average???? how is that outrageous?
It depends on what neighborhood you are looking as the taxes are different.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
[quote=Syringaloid;11847421]As Sage of Sagle said most of these questions have been answered in this forum but here is a quick answer to your questions.

Political and Religious---Boise is a mix of conservative and liberal, there have been many transplants move here from CA, WA, OR to name a few and the ones I have met are liberal and laid back. Boise is pretty low key but there are areas of town that are just as liberal as you would find in Seattle and some areas are pretty conservative too,
I truly do not believe there are areas as Liberal as Seattle in Boise! Sun Valley area but not Boise. Idaho is a Conservative state it is really RED and if there is a Dem elected they are a Blue Dog Dem and slant conservative.

mainly towards the Western edge of the city into Meridian because that is where most of the LDS/Mormons live. The LDS religion is not the dominant religion in Boise, I think it competes with the Roman Catholic faith. The further West into Meridian,Nampa,Caldwell you travel you will notice more LDS churches, but there are also just as many church buildings for other faiths.
LDS is the dominant religion and they do NOT MOSTLY live in the Meridian/Nampa/Caldwell areas! They are everywhere and there is a Seminary across from every High school too!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM

12 posts, read 26,641 times
Thinking of spending a few days with my family in the general Boise and nearby towns and cities, and checking them out for possible relocation. Would like to be able to access jobs in newspapers, high tech, (different people in our family do different things) ..., but to live where there is room to breath, some trees, properties with some acreage, safety, nice established neighborhoods, perhaps rural, perhaps a river or creek nearby, Christian or Catholic churches to choose from. We do quite well in a conservative atmosphere, get along just fine with LDS, but would prefer not to be minorities. Oh, we have kids in their 20s of marriageable age....
We're all tired of the rain in Oregon, and the job killing political climate.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
This debate is confusing for me--someone soon to be moving to Boise. I do not want to trade dumbass political-correct labels about whether people's preferences for lower-crime and lower-population density might be "racist." I am checking American Lung association website to see how much ozone pollution might impact my lifespan and health. And I am trying to find out more about the Boise water supplies. If having a brain and using it makes me a racist, then just label me a racist. Great! and after having established that, would someone then move on toward some more informative email exchanges?

What kind of efforts are being made in Boise to care for water and air quality? Thanks.--sign me, no patience for fools and PC-dumbasses

Old 04-06-2011, 01:44 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
[MOD CUT]

It's germane to the conversation. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not real or we can't discuss it.

Frankly, Boise needs a few less closed minded people here. Just saying.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 04-06-2011 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: No need to go there.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
This debate is confusing for me--someone soon to be moving to Boise. I do not want to trade dumbass political-correct labels about whether people's preferences for lower-crime and lower-population density might be "racist." I am checking American Lung association website to see how much ozone pollution might impact my lifespan and health. And I am trying to find out more about the Boise water supplies. If having a brain and using it makes me a racist, then just label me a racist. Great! and after having established that, would someone then move on toward some more informative email exchanges?

What kind of efforts are being made in Boise to care for water and air quality? Thanks.--sign me, no patience for fools and PC-dumbasses

This post is ridiculous.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area