Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 03:14 PM

15 posts, read 39,403 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in both places and has their take on weather, life, outdoor recreation or whatever on comparisons on each other? I'm talking about Boise area and CDA. We've been in north Idaho for about 5 years now and the winters seem never ending and by the time summer gets here shortly after were already on our way headin for winter again. The lakes up here are unbeatable, warm and clear but got to get more sun and dry heat. Also most of the housing sub divisions consist of tiny lots, cheesy vinyl siding and fake wood trim. Go on realtor.com and compare Boise area houses to CDA for yourself. Any thoughts if a move to southern Idaho would be really worth the move?
Thanks for your thoughts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
I'd say you will find a lot of the same houses in the Boise area, just a lot more houses period so you get more of the larger lots and better built mixed in there. I can't stand the tiny lots and that is why we won't buy in a subdivision like that.
I can't say to much because we have not live in Boise but we have family there and are in constant communications with them and lots of visits. The winters there are no run in the park either if you don't like cold and snow. Personally i think CDA is a lot better than the Boise area but that is just my opinion. That being said I would not move to S. Idaho just for the reasons you stated. If you want the larger city type life then yes it may be a good move but if you are used to having lake CDA and Pend Oreille and all the smaller ones around you will miss them soon I bet. Sorry I am not much help, but good luck.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
I'd say you will find a lot of the same houses in the Boise area, just a lot more houses period so you get more of the larger lots and better built mixed in there. I can't stand the tiny lots and that is why we won't buy in a subdivision like that.
I can't say to much because we have not live in Boise but we have family there and are in constant communications with them and lots of visits. The winters there are no run in the park either if you don't like cold and snow. Personally i think CDA is a lot better than the Boise area but that is just my opinion. That being said I would not move to S. Idaho just for the reasons you stated. If you want the larger city type life then yes it may be a good move but if you are used to having lake CDA and Pend Oreille and all the smaller ones around you will miss them soon I bet. Sorry I am not much help, but good luck.
The winters in Boise are a walk in the park compared to Coeur d'Alene and much of Northern Idaho. Boise can get cold and snow but not nearly as cold, cloudy, or snowy as Northern Idaho but as a native of the State I appreciate the weather extremes in all areas of Idaho.

The lakes in Northern Idaho are spectacular, but don't assume Southern Idaho has no lakes because in my opinion some of the most beautiful natural alpine lakes in Idaho are within an easy couple of hours drive outside of Boise and that is because you have to drive along slow driving, winding highways that follow whitewater rivers in the mountains, forests, and canyons outside of the states capitol city. The vast, and I mean vast forested, mountainess areas north, and east and west of Boise are among Idaho's most spectacular and rugged. From Boise you can hop in your car or SUV and drive into the mountains within some of Idaho's most scenic areas, and be in your own world and water is not hard to find either.
The outdoor recreation in both Northern and Southern Idaho is unequaled and top notch, but Southern Idaho offers a little more diversity because along with some of the states tallest mountains you also have huge acres of lush forests, miles and miles of rivers, a lot of lakes to choose from, and deserts that hide deep canyonlands.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 12-20-2009 at 10:42 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,951 times
I prefer Eastern Washington and the panhandle of Idaho over the Boise area. I think the outdoors are more beautiful, there are many more lakes and pine trees in such closer proximity, and I love all Spokane and the Coeur d'Alene area have to offer for families and shopping and festivals and, and, and... I just love it up there and hope to get back there soon (hubby and I grew up there). We currently reside in the Boise area and have for over 2 years now. It's quite deserty here, and allergies are terrible...I never had them before coming here, and my hubby's are worse than ever. As far as seasons, yes I do believe it is more "gloomy" up there in the winters than here, and they generally get more snow and it's a little more cold, but we definitely have winter here, too. I actually wish we had more snow here...like up there. And the summers are more delightful up there...they are just too hot here. I'm not trying to sound like a whiner, but this is how I feel about the two areas.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 PM

Thanks for all the feed back!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:31 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessysunshine View Post
I prefer Eastern Washington and the panhandle of Idaho over the Boise area. I think the outdoors are more beautiful, there are many more lakes and pine trees in such closer proximity, and I love all Spokane and the Coeur d'Alene area have to offer for families and shopping and festivals and, and, and... I just love it up there and hope to get back there soon (hubby and I grew up there). We currently reside in the Boise area and have for over 2 years now. It's quite deserty here, and allergies are terrible...I never had them before coming here, and my hubby's are worse than ever. As far as seasons, yes I do believe it is more "gloomy" up there in the winters than here, and they generally get more snow and it's a little more cold, but we definitely have winter here, too. I actually wish we had more snow here...like up there. And the summers are more delightful up there...they are just too hot here. I'm not trying to sound like a whiner, but this is how I feel about the two areas.
Wow, we pretty much have the same thoughts and experience.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:31 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren5 View Post
Also most of the housing sub divisions consist of tiny lots, cheesy vinyl siding and fake wood trim. Go on realtor.com and compare Boise area houses to CDA for yourself. Any thoughts if a move to southern Idaho would be really worth the move?
Thanks for your thoughts!!
That sounds like most newer housing in the Northwest--postage stamp lots, vinyl siding, everything cheap and nasty...etc. I've said it before: give me an older home anyday! Unless you can afford something that is a custom, quality build most newer construction looks awful if you start looking too close.
There are tons of short sales/bank owned in Boise. So, if you've got time to shop you could really pick up a bargain, but watch out for the property taxes--they didn't go down. We saw many very nice homes when we were there in October. IMO you could get a nicer, newer home in Boise for about $30K less then a comparably sized one in Spokane.
Properties in Spokane(forgive my making a substitution here for CDA) have seemed to level off a little, but I'll be interested in seeing what they do this spring when the market traditionally picks up. Not very many repos there--they didn't have nearly the bubble Boise did. Spokane taxes seem high--they are comparable to the same size house here in Everett, but the price of the Everett house would be $70-100K more. Go figure!
Please, correct me if you can. Mine are just observations from keeping an eye on the market for the last couple of years while waiting for a transfer. :~) D

Old 12-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Deena your first sentence hit it right on the nail! We found homes in Boise for around 200k with 3 car garage, granite, nice trim, and about 2500 sq. ft. In Coeur d'alene the same place would be 250k to 275k. Were tired of dealing with the wet stuff in the north and wouldn't mind having a (sun) tan for more than a week. Thanks for the post!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:03 PM

156 posts, read 403,609 times
Consider Lewiston, ID. It is in the pahandle, but because it is at sealevel (where the columbia, snake & clearwater rivers converge), it stays warmer than the surrounding areas (they call it the banana belt). You may get a little snow in the winter. but less than Boise even

Last edited by palepeople; 02-12-2010 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area