Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:04 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbercutes824 View Post
Portland is much bigger has more people because of this Portand is dirtier and has more crime. Boise is growing and has barely any crime in my opinion.

My husband went to a concert downtown Portland and he said that they were walking to the venue and there was a bum sleeping in the doorway of a store.
I am from Chicago and believe me I have seen plenty of bums, I said to my husband if you go downtown Chicago you would never see a bum in the door way of Marshall Fields. To me it sounded like they don't have a handle on their homeless.
While there aren't as many homeless in Boise as there are in Portland, we certainly have our fair share, especially in and around downtown, the greenbelt, and Ann Morrison Park.

They tend to congregate around the skatepark and shelter on 16th/Americana during the winter months, but definitely spread out through the city during the summer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 AM

21 posts, read 131,249 times
Default Portland v. Boise

The mantra "it always rains in Portland" gets a little tedious. I have lived on the Oregon coast for the past 4 years. Please note: Yes, it rains and rains a lot from December through April. However, more often than not, it is sunny in May and October/November and it is positively sunny and dry as a bone June, July, August and September. I moved from Boise to Oregon in 2004 because after 30 years, I just couldn't take the sun and heat for such a continuous time. I just wished it rained as much I had anticipated.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,719 times
Be forewarned that if you cannot live in a very politically-correct environment, Portland is not the place for you. I don't think I've ever encountered such an up-tight and ridiculously over-policed group of thought police anywhere else I've ever lived. And I've definitely lived in some larger cities.

That's one thing that would irritate me beyond all belief. It's a very stifling environment, and one where you feel like you're walking on eggshells if you don't go with the mainstream on any one issue.

Beautiful place. I hated waaay too many of the people there, and that's not my style, at all.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:06 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violet57 View Post
The mantra "it always rains in Portland" gets a little tedious. I have lived on the Oregon coast for the past 4 years. Please note: Yes, it rains and rains a lot from December through April. However, more often than not, it is sunny in May and October/November and it is positively sunny and dry as a bone June, July, August and September. I moved from Boise to Oregon in 2004 because after 30 years, I just couldn't take the sun and heat for such a continuous time. I just wished it rained as much I had anticipated.
Well I guess you got your wish. I live at the coast near Tillamook in Rockaway Beach and I am glad we moved here in spring, so I never will long to move to the Oregon coast again. Don't get me wrong, I love the Oregon coast, it is magic, but the rain isn't. I think we had some sun last week???? Hmm.... can't really remember, but our yard is so soggy, it has little puddles everywhere. You see lakes near the Tillamook cheese factory that haven't been there a few weeks before LOL.
My husband is a truck driver, so I live here more or less alone with our dog and a few weeks ago we went to Boise to have a look at it. The sun was shining, a little bit of snow on the ground.... Heaven..... at least for me and Angel, our labrador-mix. My husband is from SoCal, he doesn't like the cold that much, but he is tolerates it. I sit here at my computer and look outside, grey and rainy, and I know Boise will be a good choice.
We have lived in Portland for around 2 years and it is time to get more sun. Portland is a great city for its size, but the lack of sun makes me depressed.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:13 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,465 times
We've got a thriving creative community here in Boise, both with visual artists and other art groups (writers, theater, etc.). We're not as large as Portland, but there is a tremendous amount of support in Boise for the arts and a collaborative, close-knit, creative community. There are tons of ways for kids to get involved in the arts as well. Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
Lived in Portland, spent most of my life in Oregon. About the only thing I miss is the great view of Mount Hood, and St Helens. RAIN RAIN RAIN, thats all I remember about the rest. Traffic is aweful, the ice after a snow, while seldom, is serious on I5 and 205. Portland has a world class zoo, and a fun Basket ball team in the Blazers. There is no sales tax, which is nice. Ive lived here in Boise for the past 5 months and Im liking it more and more each day.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 AM

45 posts, read 91,026 times
Don't listen to them about portland it rains from Oct - July and thats no joke. I've been stuck here in the mid valley for 10 years now and i just wished i could get out and come home to America (Idaho). Oregon - Its not a place you move to, its a place you wind up.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:59 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrebel66 View Post
Don't listen to them about portland it rains from Oct - July and thats no joke. I've been stuck here in the mid valley for 10 years now and i just wished i could get out and come home to America (Idaho). Oregon - Its not a place you move to, its a place you wind up.
Now now, it doesnt rain EVERY DAY, but probably a week doesnt go by without some percipitaiton. YOu usually get a sunny day once a week, even if its just for a few hours.

You cant beat the kindness of Idaho, I sell Cell phones for a Verizon premium retailer, and when I was new at the job, the nice patient people of idaho never once yelled at me for my mistakes, or how long it took. IN Oregon or Washington, I would have been yelled at for sure. Oregon, while I beleive it is a top 3 most beautiful place in the USA (WA, AZ, OR) has its down falls. I donno, I suppose every place is what you make of it. I know alot of people that move there from sunny places just to enjoy a life of four seasons and absolutely love the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area