Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:02 PM

38 posts, read 105,006 times

Advertisements

The options for living right downtown are limited, but there are some decent rental deals if you look around. If you can't afford downtown proper, there are many apartment complexes on the river in the Broadway/ParkCenter area, and this would allow for easy access to the dining and entertainment of the city center, at an affordable price.

I live in the heart of downtown, and I love it. Even though parking can be tricky, it is nice to be a part of a vibrant scene. This is important for someone who has recently become single. I do not party a lot, but it is nice to know that there are opportunities to socialize all around me - there is even a bar in my building. No other place offers so much incredible recreation for such a low price. This will inevitably change.

The job situation here is dire. Even though unemployment numbers in Boise and Idaho may be lower than the national average, there is almost no employee turn-over. Therefore, for every decent job that opens up, there will be hundreds of qualified applicants vying for the position. I've never been in a place like Boise where there are literally so few jobs. I work at home as a freelance writer, but this is only possible because I am lucky enough to possess the ability to write quickly. Who knows when the job outlook will improve, but I will say that coming to Boise a year ago without a job caused a lot of stress in my personal life. With respect to that situation, there was very little choice but to move and see what happened, but I was shocked at how tough the job scene was and still is. My soon-to-be ex-wife's brother moved out here in October, and he worked tirelessly at finding work doing anything - even fast food. Unfortunately, nothing came to fruition, so he was forced to leave. Be sure to have an income plan before moving to Boise because finding decent work is an arduous task.

Good luck!

gcflyfish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:28 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,672,521 times
There are indeed plenty of affordable rentals downtown. But no affordable homes downtown.

Jobs were tough when things were good in the Valley. I can't imagine what it's like now.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,347,128 times
I own and live in the Northend and alot of people who live in the Northend consider it an extension of downtown, so when you look at it from this point of view there are a lot of options for living downtown, not in the central CBD, but the downtown area. There are places to choose from that range from apartments or studios in historic brick buildings to single family homes for rent or of course own. It is the best neighborhood to live in Boise.

There are a few condo conversions on 9th Street in the Northend that are affordable, I had a friend look at one last week and I went along to check them out. If you want to wait to find a home or condo to own then check out house rentals or apt rentals in the Northend.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 21,765 times
Great replys on Boise ID

Old 03-18-2017, 05:12 PM

658 posts, read 822,812 times
Default Unemployment Rate

Actually the unemployment rate is lower than the national average, the complaint is not finding jobs. Rather that they tend to pay less than in other states like California. Its a right to work state.

Unemployment 2016-2017 (3.4 - 4.2%)
https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.id_boisecity_msa.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-to-work_law

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I have heard that the unemployment rate in Boise is very high...how hard is it to find jobs there?

Old 03-19-2017, 08:33 AM

32,509 posts, read 47,530,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirra1234 View Post
.........We're both in our late 20's and like to go out to the bars, see live music, entertain.....Any suggestions?
I suggest that you look at Portland Oregon as a lively place for the younger people that also has good outdoor access.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suggest that you look at Portland Oregon as a lively place for the younger people that also has good outdoor access.
Do you realize you just responded to a seven-year-old post LOL?

Old 03-20-2017, 12:35 PM

32,509 posts, read 47,530,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Do you realize you just responded to a seven-year-old post LOL?
And of course, no one else will ever be interested in moving to a lively young town. That interest died in 2010, so nobody is curious about it.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And of course, no one else will ever be interested in moving to a lively young town. That interest died in 2010, so nobody is curious about it.
Yup. Boise is a lively young town and is even more so 7 years later.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:27 PM

36 posts, read 66,257 times
I would recommend Denver metro instead. It is getting expensive now but a lot to do for younger people. You can live in Denver (high rent) or 15 miles out in either direction (less high rent). Lots going on though, jobs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area