Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:23 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
Huntman58, I will pray for your son, that his path is an easy one. I have two boys as well, ages 22 and 23. I raised them on my own. I know how tough it can be for kids from a broken home.
Thanks as all the help kids from families like that can get they can use. The sad part is when both parents do not fully support the kids and place there deference’s out of it for the betterment of the kids. My son seams to be doing well and says he is learning a lot. He dose get bored a lot but that is his personality more then Job core. He was talking with my wife his step mom the other day being she also has taken some of the classes he is back in collage. He was very open about how much he is getting out of them. I believe as she dose that this is and well be a good thing for him in the end as we are hearing a big change in him as in looking forward to life and what he is going to do and how to get there.
So thanks as I know I have also been doing the same for him and all the kids there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 18,020 times
Job is a good program. my daughter just joined last wedsnesday. my husband and i met at the job corps in toungue point in astoria, oregon. we learned a lot there. my husband now as a business doing drywall and allied trades.
it helped him get his ged also. i hope it helps my daughter also.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 18,020 times
is there a way to contact our kids who attend job corps via internet

Old 12-17-2008, 02:12 PM

424 posts, read 1,379,137 times
After they attend an info tech class in which they receive their log-on and password, yes there is a way for them to communicate with you via e-mail. Myspace is banned due to the numerous viruses, pedophiles that like to troll the site, and other unsavory things that are connected with the website, so don't try to communicate with them via that way.

As for the job corps program itself it is what you make of it. As was so well put on the last page IT IS NOT a program for those who like to whine and make excuses. IT IS a great place to make changes and to work hard. As with any program, what you get out of it is what you put into it. Those who are content with just doing the minimum to get by seldom do well after the program since they are facing very tough competition in the work-force. Those who really go above and beyond end up getting some excellent job placements.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE PROGRAM FOR MINORS!!!!!!!!!! Unless you have a 16-17 year old that is very mature for their age, the program is often overwhelming for them. The success rate for minors completing the program and obtaining a job placement is NOT GOOD!!!!!!!! The program is definitely geared for adults as many of the trades will require you to be at least 18 years of age before they can complete you due to legal reasons, hence the reason why I do not recommend the program for minors as for most of them it is too much of a commitment. SO FOR THOSE OF YOU LOOKING FOR A DUMPING GROUND FOR YOUR UNRULY TEENAGER, THINK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The recruiters for job corps are like recruiters for anything else. Their job is to get you into the program. Unfortunately not all of them do their research on specific centers before telling the students what to expect. Not all centers offer the same things. There is no swimming pool at centennial job corps, there is no horseback riding and there is no auto mechanic program. So do yourselves a favor and contact a staff member there before joining the program as they can give you a more accurate picture of what to expect. (208) 442-4500 is the main number.

The Job Corps program consists of 3 components: Education, Trade/Vocation and Residential/Social Skills Training. Job Corps is a 24-7 training facility and the place where most folks run into trouble is in the Residential/Social Skills Training area since they figure that they can put on a good show up in trade or education and slack off down in the dorms. It doesn't work that way. While the students do have a fair bit of time to go and do recreational activities and visit friends during after trade, they still have roll calls for accountability purposes, GI (or general inspection) in which their personal area, lockers, etc. must all be shown to be neat and orderly. You will also have random locker and personal area inspections. They also have social skills training in which they will be taught conflict resolution, etc. Remember that no how matter good a person is with their education scores or trade performance, if they can't learn how to get along or deal with others then all the trade/education work doesn't mean a thing. There are no shortage of rules and regulations at the centers for various legal reasons and in an effort to ensure that students are committed to the change in which the program offers.

The trades that are offered at Centennial Job Corps are as follows:

Accounting
Business
Carpentry
CNA
Computer Services
Culinary
Electrical
GCT (General Construction)
Painting
Plastering
Welding

As for how long it takes to get through the program it really depends on a number of factors:

Have you completed your education (ie GED, HSE or Diploma) before coming into the program?

If you still need education then the program will take longer as you are going to be alternating between time spent in trade and education.

Which program are you looking at?

Some trades such as business and CNA can be completed in as little as 6-7 months while other programs such as computer services and GCT can take 2 years. Once again these figures also depend on your prior educational acheivements. The highest certification that you can obtain in the computer services program at centennial is the A+ certification.

The other thing to look at is that there are a number of trades with waiting lists so you might want to see about other centers in the region to see if there is another one in which the program might be less of a wait.

The bottom line is that the program is what you make of it. You can either work very hard and follow the rules and be very successful (ie getting into the various unions in the northwest) or you can come to the center and continue to play games and be booted from the program. For those who just want to do the bare minimum, you might make it through the program but you definitely won't be having a job waiting for you when you get done, in otherwords unless you are willing to work hard and follow the rules it is a waste of your time and the tax payers money to go into the program.

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 12-17-2008 at 02:32 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 8,703 times
I was also wanting to get enrolled, and I was wondering what kind of job training there is available.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 29,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Pieces View Post
Truthfully, I don't know about the specific Job Corps in Nampa. However: in my experience, Jobs Corps in general is full of vagrants, people right out of jail, drug addicts, migrant workers, etc.

I have never seen Jobs Corps provide training for anything above the lowest labor positions, and the employers that hire from job corps typically are looking for unskilled cheap labor. Not much room for advancement.

My suggestion, put together a resume and list all skills, then apply at some of the temp. services - or seek an apprenticeship with a company that intrerests him.

LMAO my name is Angela, I am 24 and a recent graduate of Centennial Job Corps. I am astonished that You would reply to a question regarding something you obviously have NO idea about! I suggest you educate yourself on topics prior to giving advice to Anyone!

Job Corps is a vocational training program that has locations all over the US. The program is open to individuals between the ages of 16-24. People who Want to attend Job Corps must Apply to go there. You don't just wake up and say "Oh I think I'll go to Job Corps" like public education, you have to go through a long application/interview process so the applicant knows what exactly they are signing up for and the staff can figure out if you are a good candidate for Job Corps. There are locations all over and depending on what trade you want to study in and what centers have availability will help you decide which location to go to.

I visited CJC before I enrolled to see the area and the diverse group of people who are enrolled there. I graduated Job Corps and am now attending BSU! I am a single mother, I lived off campus and drove to the center everyday for school. I was in the accounting/business program, I learned some skills that I didn't already know that were useful. When you graduate the center works with you for 1 year, during your time at the center, you are able to be employed (depending on what trade you enroll in and what skills you already have will determine on when you can start working) while you are working, your money goes into a savings account and when you graduate you receive all of it in addition to your completing award and any other incentives you earned from obtaining your GED and drivers license. When you complete the program, you work with an exit person who helps you obtain a car, a place to live and a job. We get follow up calls every couple months to see how were doing by an outside agency that compiles data for statistical purposes.

Job Corps has tons of connections with employers, people who are in the "hard trades" can be union depending on their age and experience. While I was enrolled I had a government job and was getting paid $12, not bad for someone who wouldn't have been able to get into that sector without the connections Job Corps had! I currently work part time because I go to school full time, with the knowledge I have gained from Job Corps, I'd say I am pretty marketable and make more money now than when I was attending there. There are people from all walks of life at Job Corps. There are some people with addictions disabilities and mental illnesses, but Hey it's the Real world, and we have those same people around us except they might not be choosing to get help and make a better life for them self.

Job Corps is an excellent program, as with everything in life, it is what You make of it! So for the people with assumptions who are too lazy to get informed, now you know and hopefully you won't be relaying any more negative information and opinions!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,546 times
Default Nampa job corps

How do you sign up for the Nampa Job corps?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Their recruiting office is in Boise, their toll free number is 1-800-733-5627. You can visit their website for more info at Centennial Job Corps and the direct contact number for the center (to arrange a tour or answer any questions) is 208-442-4500.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 8,421 times
hi i live in LA and i am about to go to job corps in the downtown area and i wanted to now do job corps help you get your drivers licence?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:51 PM

Yes it does, they offer drivers education and take you to take the written and drivers test. You don't get to do it right when you get there, normally there is a waiting list, but you will be able to do it before you leave since with some centers it's a requirement to graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: