U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:39 PM

5,368 posts, read 10,271,535 times
I've lived in Boise all my life (31 years) and I am very liberal, as well. I have found that the conservatives here tend to be more open minded than those I've met in other places. They mostly like a good debate and will argue things with you until they are blue in the face, but you leave still friends. Of course, there are closed minded people also, but in my experience, not as many and not as closed minded as other places. Even in the most liberal of cities, you still can't always get away from the bigots.

Personally, the only thing I have a problem with locally is the fact that I know my vote will never be enough to help elect a Democratic president. Idaho does vote red. Boise does sometimes vote blue, but the rest of the state overrides it every time.

I guess the thing is here that people aren't as IN YOUR FACE about their political and religious beliefs as, for example, the deep south, or some other, nearby religious state I could name, or even other parts of Idaho. Of course, that is only my experience, your mileage may vary.

*Edited to say :

I should clarify. If you are a "go along, get along" kind of person, you'll do fine. If you insist on telling everyone that their ideas are wrong (having a friendly argument is one thing, telling someone they are an idiot for their beliefs is obviously a different personality type), and are very confrontational, Idaho might not be the best place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:16 AM

483 posts, read 591,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball6 View Post
Try being a conservative living in Vermont !!! People in Boise are nice folks. They are helpful, especially when you consider how much Boise people will engage you here on this board. Thanks to Boise area folks !

LOL! That's funny

IMO, Vermont wouldn't be bad, if they just had a larger city. Burlington isn't very big, and I need something bigger than that.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
skylar0201, have you ever lived in Boise, have family in Boise? Or have you just travelled through the city?
Just wondering,
Cheers.
No, I don't have family nor have I lived there, but I've travelled through Boise extensively ( including staying there in between my travels. )

Old 02-06-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I've lived in Boise all my life (31 years) and I am very liberal, as well. I have found that the conservatives here tend to be more open minded than those I've met in other places. They mostly like a good debate and will argue things with you until they are blue in the face, but you leave still friends. Of course, there are closed minded people also, but in my experience, not as many and not as closed minded as other places. Even in the most liberal of cities, you still can't always get away from the bigots.

Personally, the only thing I have a problem with locally is the fact that I know my vote will never be enough to help elect a Democratic president. Idaho does vote red. Boise does sometimes vote blue, but the rest of the state overrides it every time.

I guess the thing is here that people aren't as IN YOUR FACE about their political and religious beliefs as, for example, the deep south, or some other, nearby religious state I could name, or even other parts of Idaho. Of course, that is only my experience, your mileage may vary.

*Edited to say :

I should clarify. If you are a "go along, get along" kind of person, you'll do fine. If you insist on telling everyone that their ideas are wrong (having a friendly argument is one thing, telling someone they are an idiot for their beliefs is obviously a different personality type), and are very confrontational, Idaho might not be the best place for you.

Yeah, that is good. It is when people take their politics to heart is when it gets nasty and you start making enemies. I have conservative friends, and yes, even a few very conservative, and yes, even here in Oregon. I know their stances on issues, and they know mine, and we don't argue about it. I actually have a friend I used to work with that would keep sending me anti-political party emails over and over again ( after I kindly asked her to stop ) and she still kept sending them telling me if I "cared about this country, you'd vote for the right candidate", and I finally had to tell her that unless you want to end our 10+ yr friendship, I am asking one more time to stop sending those to me. That was about 4 months ago, and since then, she hasn't sent anymore ( yet ).

Yes, I'm sure there are liberal-politics in Boise, and there are liberals in Salt Lake ( and Provo, UT ) too. They are just few and far between, or try St. George, UT--that is even more conservative than Salt Lake is, believe it or not.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:20 PM

99 posts, read 221,668 times
I moved from the bay area to the boise area a few years back (ended up moving back but that is a different story). I found it interesting that many, if not most, of the people that I met there were from someplace else - many from CA. I don't believe that the Boise area is as conservative as it used to be.

I actually miss that area as I did fall in love with Boise. Beautiful city and I personally found it to be very very friendly.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing60 View Post
I moved from the bay area to the boise area a few years back (ended up moving back but that is a different story). I found it interesting that many, if not most, of the people that I met there were from someplace else - many from CA. I don't believe that the Boise area is as conservative as it used to be.

I actually miss that area as I did fall in love with Boise. Beautiful city and I personally found it to be very very friendly.
Oh yeah, especially now with California's economy. I think that alone will do it in for a lot of folks just itching to get out of that state. I had two co-workers several years back that relocated to Boise from Portland. Not sure if they're still there, but they wanted to go there as one had family there, and the other just wanted to get away from all the drizzle we get here.

One thing I remember about Boise ( and I should also note that I haven't been back there in about 8 yrs ) but I remember for a city even its size, the city was really green itself, but the outlying areas outside the suburbs was as much of a desert landscape as SE Idaho ( near the Utah state line ) is.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:57 PM
CSG

201 posts, read 206,864 times
I don't really understand why anyone with liberal beliefs would want to move to Idaho. You're never going to get your way politically. If that doesn't matter then no big deal. We are a red state. When we elect a dem, they are quite conservative (see Walt Minnick). Had he voted for any of the current dem agenda he would have been voted out of office on the next go round. He might get voted out anyway as Idaho is not happy with what's going on in DC.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:55 AM

889 posts, read 1,240,239 times
But on the other hand, we have quite a legacy of Democratic governors.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:52 AM
CSG

201 posts, read 206,864 times
Had

Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 AM

766 posts, read 1,221,094 times
I am not a Republican and I think the current Democratic party in this country is a joke. I know plenty of liberals in Boise and they seem to enjoy life here just fine and to assume that a person needs to be conservative to enjoy Boise or Idaho is ludicrous. People who get so wrapped up in party segregation spend too much of their lives worried about their viewpoints rather than enjoying life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area