Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 11:16 PM

102 posts, read 388,032 times

Advertisements

We may have an opportunity to move to Boise, ID. We are planning to visit in the next couple of weeks, but I wanted to get a head start on places to look. We did see a house in the Hays Street Historic District online that looked promising. It's close to Boise High.

Would this be a reasonable place for a family? Boise High and its feeder schools look decent. We have a 13 y.o., a 10 y.o. and a 6 y.o., so schools are important. DH is an engineering director, and I am an attorney, but we do not want to be in an area that is too "country club" and cliquey. From what I've read about the heavily LDS areas on this board.... I think that we definitely want to avoid them - no offense - it's just that the move will be hard enough on our kids, and I want them to be in a welcoming place (we are Presbyterian - but are a bit lax about attending church).

We are socially somewhat left leaning but fiscally conservative. We like to be around all types of people with all types of ideas (liberal and conserative). We will be coming from a fairly urban area and are more comfortable in the city than in the suburbs or in rural areas.

Our price range is 400K to 600K... the closer to 400K the better.

Thanks for any input you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:32 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,343,189 times
If you are interested in the Hayes Street area which is in the Northend Historic District, you will be happy with your decision. The Northend is kind of like downtown's neighborhood. There are not a lot of LDS members in the Northend and downtown areas and the Northend is far from being country club cliquish and is more left leaning than the rest of Boise. The Northend is funky and cool, and hip, and earthy and progressive. As far as religion, the Northend has beautiful historic cathedrals and a lot of small bungalow church buildings and no LDS church buildings. There are a few LDS church buildings on the outskirts of the Northend neighborhood, but the LDS faith is in the minority in this part of Boise.

I live near Hayes Street, it is great area for all kinds of people, single or with families.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 03-20-2010 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 AM

25 posts, read 77,697 times
I agree. The Northend is definitely the place for you. I wish, we would have known about this forum before we moved here last summer. Our realtor found us a beautiful home in West Boise. Unfortunately, as we quickly came to realize, almost all of our neighbors turned out to be Mormon. I am not trying to offend anyone here by saying this--they are very nice, very friendly people. The problem is, they like to keep to themselves, visit each other, but we are usually left out (I sometimes wonder if the liberal bumper sticker on the back of our car has anything to do with it). Sadly, their children seem to do the same to ours.

We are seriously contemplating a move to the Northend ourselves. Good Luck with your househunt!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 AM

85 posts, read 293,162 times
Default Examples

Can you give some examples of the exclusion activities you mention....details of how that happened.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:00 PM

25 posts, read 77,697 times
Why? Are you Mormon?

Old 03-21-2010, 05:34 PM

85 posts, read 293,162 times
Default NO but I wanted to know

NO Im not but I read alot of these and wanted to know in case I move there. Since it was brought up, Id like some specifics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area