Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 PM

85 posts, read 293,203 times

Advertisements

Here in the south, we have lots of mosquitos and roaches....from June through October.....whats the invasion like there in Boise area??? Have much of a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:51 AM

2 posts, read 16,110 times
Thumbs up Boise Critters

Hi there baseball6,
It is night and day as far as mosquitoes and cockroaches. The climate is semi-arid with dry yet mild winters. That means that the only time in my life I saw an indoor cockroach in Idaho, was due to very unsanitary conditions inside a home and the origination was from out-of-state luggage where eggs were laid. The offending state was one like Arkansas where it can be very humid. Idaho is NEVER humid.
Mosquitoes can be had if you are near standing water whether it is rain collected water or over sprinkling a lawn that leaves enough standing water for the larvae to breed/hatch. Relative to Ark., there is not a real mosquito season either. The rainfall is too infrequent to support widespread mosquito seasons. Near ditches and canals, though, there can be water slow enough to breed small mosquito colonies.
Please REMEMBER, in IDAHO, you MUST irrigate to grow most crops! That means in the Snake River Plateau it is closer to a desert than it is to a natural green or wet arable land like Arkansas or any other state east of the great plain states or the Mississippi River. Idaho has the Craters of the Moon National Park/Monument/or whatever term they use now for the Feds to set aside land these days!! Think Iraq not Vietnam!! DRY,DRY,DRY!

gf1422

Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 AM

3,816 posts, read 9,400,546 times
I always seem to get bit by little "no see-ums" when I am out walking my dog after dinner. They only bite your legs and I've found if I just spray my legs with repellent I'm good.

Only other bugs that seem to be a nuisance are yellow jackets and flies.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,358,788 times
Sugar ants are the biggest infestation I've seen in Boise. Seems like every year we have 2 or 3 rentals that get them. Of course, if you keep your place clean, with no accessible food source, you are far less likely to get them (still happens on occasion though). Houseflies are also annoying. Various types of hornet/wasps can also be annoying, but tend to be more isolated incidents. I've never had them at my house.

I've lived in Boise all my life, and I've never seen a roach, except for on TV and once in the bug section at the zoo.

Mosquitos can be a problem, depending on where you spend time. If you spend a lot of time by the rivers, you can run into them. I remember once at the fairgrounds when I was younger, I came home with over 200 mosquito bites (I wasn't wearing repellent). My sister had over 50 just on her feet one day after working near a river all day. And I personally know 2 people who got West Nile Virus from mosquito bites in the last 5 years in Boise. So we do have them. But for the average person going about their day around town, they aren't an issue.

I'm slightly arachniphobic, so my arch nemeses are spiders. Fortunately, we just get a few each year (unless you have a basement or don't keep your yard mowed regularly).

Old 03-30-2010, 02:13 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,862,290 times
The only spot I've seen cocroaches was at my old high school. They've been there forever, kinda weird. But they live anywhere else.

I tend to see quite a few spiders around, especially in newer homes in Nampa, West Meridian, places out in the desert.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM

85 posts, read 293,203 times
Good....I hate roaches. I saw one last year in my sink...it was about 2 inches long and I destroyed him (or her) with a shoe...but it didnt die for two hours !! I see little ones around so there must be some momma around....Im heading to Boise !!! ( I hope)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: