Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:42 PM

119 posts, read 367,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by registry View Post
In Boise people don't really care if you're a minority or not. Sometimes the only people that have issues with being a minority is the minority themselves.

No one in Boise is going to discriminate against you for being a minority

Absolutely ridiculous.So youre telling me there arent any racist employers,police officers,etc in the entire city of Boise?

Old 08-18-2007, 02:02 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtown12 View Post
Alot of times whites dont see racism because they arent affected by it.I really wouldnt trust a white persons opinion on weather or not Boise(or any place) is hostile/discriminatory towards minorities,I'd ask minorities that live there or have lived there in the past.
I wholeheartedly agree.

A white person may be able to witness racism or discrimination, but in America they may never know exactly what or when racism or discrimination occurs, simply because they are not the "other," or the minority perspective.

This isn't to say that a white person cannot experience racism, but rather that they cannot experience it as another race does. And the context is almost always different.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:17 PM

26 posts, read 84,717 times
Thumbs up Another Huge Thank You!

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply to my question. The number and variety of replys has helped me greatly in understanding Boise as it relates to this issue. We are coming much closer to making a final decision on where to live and although we are leaning in another direction now, I have enjoyed considering Boise.

It also seems as though the thread has taken on a life of it's own and I applaud that! I hope everyone will continue these discusions and perhaps be as enlightened by the thoughts shared by others as I have been. Best wishes all!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:12 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by registry View Post
In Boise people don't really care if you're a minority or not. Sometimes the only people that have issues with being a minority is the minority themselves.

No one in Boise is going to discriminate against you for being a minority, nor is there an environment of reverse discrimination by giving special treatment to minorities. People are too busy focusing on enjoying their lives in Idaho rather than dwelling on non-issues that relate to the color of someone's skin, religion, or cultural preferences. People come to Idaho to leave all that divisive, politically correct garbage in the states that they left.

If someone's not hung up on what makes them different or on their self perceived minority status, then you'll certainly feel welcome and enjoy Boise.
I disagree. I have a Japanese friend that feels there is strong feelings against Japanese here. She has cried many times by things people have said to her. To make it worse her husband is Caucasian so she has caught allot of flack about that too.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtown12 View Post
Alot of times whites dont see racism because they arent affected by it.I really wouldnt trust a white persons opinion on weather or not Boise(or any place) is hostile/discriminatory towards minorities,I'd ask minorities that live there or have lived there in the past.
And may I ask who is being racist now?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I wholeheartedly agree.

A white person may be able to witness racism or discrimination, but in America they may never know exactly what or when racism or discrimination occurs, simply because they are not the "other," or the minority perspective.

This isn't to say that a white person cannot experience racism, but rather that they cannot experience it as another race does. And the context is almost always different.
I beg to differ...
Women are discriminated against everyday in Idaho race does not matter. Single women with children get it even worse. There is a chauvinism here that is larger than it should be in this day and age.
Caucasian kids are being discriminated against at the college entry level. some cannot even get into the colleges they want because they need the room for everyone other than whites.
So to say that that whites are not discriminated against is a bunch of hooey!

Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I beg to differ...
Women are discriminated against everyday in Idaho race does not matter. Single women with children get it even worse. There is a chauvinism here that is larger than it should be in this day and age.
Caucasian kids are being discriminated against at the college entry level. some cannot even get into the colleges they want because they need the room for everyone other than whites.
So to say that that whites are not discriminated against is a bunch of hooey!
I don't disagree with your comments about sexism and misogyny in the area.

I do think you've taken my quote completely out of context, however. Try again.

Also, your comments about "whites being discriminated against" are absolutely ridiculous. Having spend a considerable amount of time working in college admissions, I'd be more than happy to discuss this matter via PM if you want. I can even provide you with some statistics, some information and essays on affirmative action policies, and discuss your confusions as to the "discrimination" white people face, especially in Idaho.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
And may I ask who is being racist now?
Hint: His/her comment is not racist.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I don't disagree with your comments about sexism and misogyny in the area.

I do think you've taken my quote completely out of context, however. Try again.

Also, your comments about "whites being discriminated against" are absolutely ridiculous. Having spend a considerable amount of time working in college admissions, I'd be more than happy to discuss this matter via PM if you want. I can even provide you with some statistics, some information and essays on affirmative action policies, and discuss your confusions as to the "discrimination" white people face, especially in Idaho.
I am sorry if you took that I mean that Idaho had top colleges. I personally know white male with 4.0 gpa's that were told sorry. One of the kids were trying to get into a top Michigan college.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:39 AM

That's not uncommon - those schools receive an enormous amount of applications. So much so that the median GPA for some of those schools are actually at a 4.0 or higher. Much also depends on the student's ACT/SAT scores, extracurricular activities, and other soft-factors.

A 4.0 doesn't guarantee admission to a top school, and refusal of admission in spite of a stellar GPA does not mean he suffered "reverse racism" because he's white.

Oddly enough Michigan is one of the few states that has a race-blind admissions policy - so that would all but guarantee that your white friend was not denied admission because he was white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area