Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 PM

26 posts, read 84,700 times

Advertisements

We are relocating and interested in what it would be like to live in Boise. So far we have visited several cities in OR and in WA but are still searching for "home." We are only limited to the pacific or mountain time zones in our search.

We are specifially concerned about life there as a minority. Our research suggests that Boise is not very diverse ethnically or culturally. Can anyone give me any thoughts on what it would be like there for us. Is everyone welcome? Is diversity appreciated, despised or a non-issue? Your feedback and candor is appreciated.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:21 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,174 times
Default Minorities/Boise

Dear fmpitw,

I can't believe no one has answered your inquiry. The answer is simple. The Boise area is growing quite rapidly and more and more minorities are moving in. Few notice. It is a non-issue.

In virtually any location, there are always a handful of people who show their ignorance. I believe you would find few in Boise. Things are changing. Percentage-wise there may have been more in years gone by.

Boise is Idaho's largest city with a diverse grouping of sophisticated industries and it is the state's capital. Culturally and ethnically, Boise is growing up quickly, with great theater, a fine symphony orchestra, ballet, good museums, fine restaurants and a major university (Boise State) with a strong athletic program.

Change is good. And, in Boise, an end to ignorance is in sight.

Bob (pimit2)

Old 06-10-2007, 09:52 PM

110 posts, read 572,705 times
I am a minority and I disagree that it is a 'non-issue', I guess it all depends on which side you are on, the majority or the minority. However I agree that things are changing, another 10 years and I believe Boise will be much more diverse - hopefully.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:43 PM

26 posts, read 84,700 times
Smile Thanks!

Thanks to both Bob and Pimit2 for your replies. I must admit tht the initial lack of response was, in itself, concerning to me. I appreciate you taking the time to give feedback. That said, I think we will be coming for a visit soon! Thanks again for your thoughtfulness.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 8,856 times
In Boise people don't really care if you're a minority or not. Sometimes the only people that have issues with being a minority is the minority themselves.

No one in Boise is going to discriminate against you for being a minority, nor is there an environment of reverse discrimination by giving special treatment to minorities. People are too busy focusing on enjoying their lives in Idaho rather than dwelling on non-issues that relate to the color of someone's skin, religion, or cultural preferences. People come to Idaho to leave all that divisive, politically correct garbage in the states that they left.

If someone's not hung up on what makes them different or on their self perceived minority status, then you'll certainly feel welcome and enjoy Boise.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:50 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by registry View Post
In Boise people don't really care if you're a minority or not. Sometimes the only people that have issues with being a minority is the minority themselves.

No one in Boise is going to discriminate against you for being a minority, nor is there an environment of reverse discrimination by giving special treatment to minorities. People are too busy focusing on enjoying their lives in Idaho rather than dwelling on non-issues that relate to the color of someone's skin, religion, or cultural preferences. People come to Idaho to leave all that divisive, politically correct garbage in the states that they left.

If someone's not hung up on what makes them different or on their self perceived minority status, then you'll certainly feel welcome and enjoy Boise.
Well said!

Old 06-14-2007, 12:44 PM

13 posts, read 104,612 times
Smile non-issue

I am a minority in Boise. I agree that it is a non-issue. Beautiful city and surrounding towns! VERY friendly people.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:24 PM

13 posts, read 77,212 times
I am a minority in Idaho, and i have seen issues about languages. I have been in issues about speaking in my language, i have been told many times that i am not allowed to speak in my lanuguage, because this is america, and english in the only lanuguage.The minority like talking in their language because it feels more comfortable to communicate with their peers. Can someone tell me if this is a non-issue in Idaho? Because it has happened to me

Old 06-22-2007, 02:58 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
It's an issue in North Idaho only if you're excluding others. For example, if I saw two people walking down the street speaking Spanish, or French, or German, it's none of my darn business what they're saying.

If you're in a closer social setting it's just rude to those around you, regardless of what language you're speaking. And there is the additional stigma (if you're speaking Spanish) of the backlash against runaway immigration and the general "Viva la raza!" attitude about taking over the southwestern USA.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:03 PM

10 posts, read 48,854 times
Default Breaking Down Minority Issues in Idaho

When I first came back to Boise from living in Iran (I am an American but graduated from high school there) in 1978 the population in Boise was 99.7% white according to the census data. Now it is 92.3%.

For years the Aryan Nation (white supremist group) in Northern Idaho stigmatized our state as a bunch of Neo Nazi's and / or rednecks. Yet, while attending Boise State University, the president of the student body was anything but white.

There is a fairly large hispanic base here in the Boise area and a growing number of Bosnian and Ukranian families.

Albeit there are still ignorant people living here that can be disrespectful to others' beliefs; the majority of people are great!

Like the whole world, we have a long way to go before the last person becomes "color blind" or fully relaxes around the "sexual preference issue". I have lived in many different countries where I have been the minority, and around many of the United States and all I can say is that I am sure greatful to call Boise home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area