Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:50 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
One thing that has not been brought up is how many people in Boise that have jobs but who know that if they lose their job will not find a similar position in the area. Every person that I have met who works at HP is nervous because they know that they will have to move out of town to find work. One of my friends does some recruiting for Micron and they have a hard time finding workers from out of town because they know if they get downsized they are stuck in Boise with no other firms that need their skills.

Guess that is the dirty little secret in Boise that nobody brings up. If either myself or my wife lose our job there is literally no other place in Boise that needs our respective skills. I really like living in Boise, but dread ever having to look for work anytime in the near future.
I can see this being a concern. But I'd like to point out that in MANY small towns in Idaho this is even a more serious concern. If one mill closes, a whole town can nearly close down in Bonner or Boundary counties. If the mill closes in Lewiston, a big chunk of the town is screwed. If Quest Aircraft left Sandpoint, hundreds of people in that sector would have to leave town to find work in their same field.

I'm not saying tech industry folks have it easier in Boise....just pointing out that it really is a big problem anywhere you go if you have specialized skills...beyond medical field and a few others where jobs are so portable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 07:43 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
I can recall that early last year when Micron announced the layoffs, remember Micron still does employ thousands, the state economist said that there were enough jobs in the Treasure Valley to absorb those losing their jobs, but then the national and world economies went to hell, the national and world housing markets went to hell, and the Boise area followed suit.

Micron is getting in the business of solar panels and has been hiring locally for those jobs. An international solar company has relocated to Boise, I'm not sure how many jobs, but it is a way of helping the local economy become more diverse, which has been happening.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Know a guy that recruits for Micron and they are hiring right now. They can't find anyone locally that has the skills that they need or convince anyone with experience to relocate. Instead Micron is hitting college campuses and hiring people fresh out of school.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 AM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Know a guy that recruits for Micron and they are hiring right now. They can't find anyone locally that has the skills that they need or convince anyone with experience to relocate. Instead Micron is hitting college campuses and hiring people fresh out of school.
So they say.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Don't know why 2-3 close friends of mine that work for Micron would lie to me. One of my friends hates to recruit and would love to find people already in Boise. That way he is not traveling to various colleges and trolling for new employees.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
I'm not suggesting they're lying.

I just think employers now feel like they have every advantage and can find the most qualified people in the world willing to work for the lowest wages possible.

There is plenty of talent in the Boise area. Heck, Micron and HP just laid off 10,000 of them in the past two years.

Unless we're talking uber-technical specialized jobs here, there are people who can fill those spots. But hey, let's ignore that labor pool and bring even more people to Boise to compete for jobs.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Hello all.... I am new to this forum, hope I am not too late! My Fiance and I are thinking of moving to Boise. We have a dog who is absolutely spoiled at the moment, where we live now, we are on the beach everyday and she runs free (we live in Europe). My biggest fear (one of them) is actually for her to not have a place to run everyday! How is the dog park, of leash hiking/walking in the area?

My family lives in Meridian and we would like to start a family in a few years, houses seem much more affordable than where we live now! Is there anywhere near Meridian/Star to walk or hike...like in nature? Everything I have seen seems like created suburbs and landscaping...where could we go to escape that?

Thank you!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:52 AM

73 posts, read 194,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppycapper View Post
Hello all.... I am new to this forum, hope I am not too late! My Fiance and I are thinking of moving to Boise. We have a dog who is absolutely spoiled at the moment, where we live now, we are on the beach everyday and she runs free (we live in Europe). My biggest fear (one of them) is actually for her to not have a place to run everyday! How is the dog park, of leash hiking/walking in the area?

My family lives in Meridian and we would like to start a family in a few years, houses seem much more affordable than where we live now! Is there anywhere near Meridian/Star to walk or hike...like in nature? Everything I have seen seems like created suburbs and landscaping...where could we go to escape that?

Thank you!

I was just there last week, there are a few. Don''t know the laws. Just google meridian city dog parks or Meridian Dog laws.

There is alot of outdoor stuff to do from what I hear. Like most places, you probably have to drive a little to get there.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:51 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
There are parts of the area where you don't have to walk far at all. But most of the walking/hiking I know of that might be off leash (or you don't have to go far to be off leash) are accesible from the North or East/South East parts of Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area