Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 PM

39 posts, read 93,205 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. I actually went to the opposite side of Albertson Park today because being in a hotel room all day isn't fun for kids. It seems like of the people on the side with the nature walk seem to be more family oriented, everyone we passed had a smile. No one stopped to talk but they were walking pretty quickly so I think it was exercise. I will have to try those parks on the following days. I'm here, most likely for the week. I was also going to check out the zoo and maybe Nampa's train museum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
What you will notice in Boise is that three day holiday weekends are usually when the normal Boiseans are hanging out downtown or up in McCall or Stanley or Sun Valley and this opens up the gate for the underbelly of the population to expose themselves because they can hang out at the parks without feeling intimidated by the normal Boiseans.

The fit people were most likely buzzing by you on their bikes along the greenbelt or jogging, or walking with family. The others hang around and smoke because they are not fit they just loiter because there is more room for them to do so because the rest of us are doing something else on long weekends Our parks will be back to normal after tomorrow
Say what?

I'm afraid this isn't accurate at all. People in Boise *gasp* have tattoos. They cuss. Kids here act and dress like kids anywhere else in the country.

And I can guarantee that people with tats aren't intimidated or afraid to "expose themselves" anywhere in Boise at any time.

You'll find people with tats that cuss downtown, on 8th st. (especially around Pie Hole or Dawson Taylor); you'll find them around the university. You'll find them playing frisbee golf in Ann Morrison or Julia Davis park; you'll find hordes of them during the summer in Ann Morrison after they just got off the river. Bottom line - you'll find them everywhere.

If you want people without tats who read the Bible in the parks everyday, I'm not sure how to help you with that. If you want "normal" people it's about time you start realizing that you can cuss and be normal, or have tats and be normal.

This forum really cracks me up sometime. Everyone's looking for a g-d Norman Rockwell painting come to life.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 AM

39 posts, read 93,205 times
I don't think you understood my original question. I did not say that to be normal you couldn't cuss or have tattoos. Everyone assumes I said that. I asked if this was the norm for Boise, which in my opinion is a fair question. I didn't say anything about other people going to church or reading the Bible, so please don't put words in my mouth. Where I come from tattoos and the way you dress signify what you do in your free time, usually drug or gang related. I don't need to be lectured on my preferences, they are exactly that my preferences. I didn't ask the question to get into an argument with people on here, I just wanted to know if I could consider this the norm. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
I don't think you understood my original question. I did not say that to be normal you couldn't cuss or have tattoos. Everyone assumes I said that. I asked if this was the norm for Boise, which in my opinion is a fair question. I didn't say anything about other people going to church or reading the Bible, so please don't put words in my mouth. Where I come from tattoos and the way you dress signify what you do in your free time, usually drug or gang related. I don't need to be lectured on my preferences, they are exactly that my preferences. I didn't ask the question to get into an argument with people on here, I just wanted to know if I could consider this the norm. Thanks.
I completely understand where you are coming from and I respect your seeking a location with social standards of dress and behavior that disappeared long ago in Long Beach and most of California.

It has unfortunately become very hip and very cool to belittle those who seek and try to maintain those higher standards, as can be seen in some other posts.

I think you would have to stay for an extended visit (many weeks, at least) in order to get a good in-depth feel for how different the Boise social scene is from what you are used to. I have visited a couple of times but unfortunately couldn't stay very long. I liked most of what I saw, but also saw some things that concerned me, like you have. Nevertheless I'd like to think that most of Boise is going to be a lot closer to what you're looking for than anything in or near California's major population centers. I hope someday soon to come up for another stay - this time long enough to be more sure about that.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
That's fine - your standards are your standards, and that's fine to have them, but they're not everyone else's. To make any distinction between tattoos and normal, or to associate tattoos with gang or drug activity is ridiculous. Your own kids, grandkids, nephews or nieces likely have a tattoo.

So I just don't think it's fair to ask that sort of question. If you're asking whether the crowd you saw - rude and obnoxious - is typical of Boise that's one thing. I'd say probably not, but there are rude and obnoxious people everywhere. But to ask if Boise has people that are a little more modern in their taste and fashion, ie tattoos, and that's something you want to avoid, then sorry; Boise is a very tattooed town. I can think of at least 20 tattoo parlors in the downtown vicinity.

I just get bugged when I see people make reference to "higher standards" as if they live a better life than everyone else. It's ridiculous. Yeah, there are behaviors that are better than others, but no one is without their own preferences or vices.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:40 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times
Last time I took my family to Julia Davis Park they had to walk through a couple of hundred grungy potheads having a pro-marijuana rally. My take is that the downtown parks are the closet parks to where our small population of white trash live, so when they want to go to the park guess where they go? I usually avoid the downtown parks because I got tired of scraping goose poop off the bottom of my family's shoes.

For family parks try Table Rock, Camels Back, Military Reserve, Barber Park or any of the smaller parks spread out all over town. Walked through our neighborhood park yesterday and it was filled with families and kids. Not a grungy, tattooed smoker in sight.

Boise is probably the safest metro area in the country and it is great for kids. We let our kids run, ride their bikes or walk the dog around our neighborhood with little to no concern for their safety. We could not do that back in Arizona when we lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: