Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:54 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,719,775 times

Advertisements

Other than the Harry Potter series, my favorite series would be Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness Quartet. I'm a fan of strong female characters, and this series really delivered. Her Immortals series was pretty good too, but I don't remember much of it, and the characters didn't amaze me like they did in the Lioness series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 01:59 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Anything by Vince Flynn
Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel

Old 07-08-2010, 10:57 AM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
I suggest the Vampire Academy - Rachel Mead.
Theres about 7 books so far in the series and they are very good.

I've enjoyed twilight, harry potter and sookie stackhouse novels as well.

Richelle Mead's The Vampire Academy Series is addictive if you want an easy read. I enjoyed it and can't wait for the next book to come out in december. According to her website there will only be 6.

Tried to get into Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles but just couldn't finish Interview with a vampire, will try that again another time. Tried her erotic sleeping beauty series and couldn't finish that either, way too much sex and S&M and not enough story. So went with the vampire academy series.

I love the Harry Potter series. Will buy the sooke stackhouse series as a lot of people are recommending that series. On a different note James Patterson's Alex Cross series is pretty good as well. But then again i love all of james patterson's books.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
Does anyone else try to read a series in order? Whenever I find a book in the library where the author has written several in that universe, I try to start with the first one. I hate reading one in the middle and it references things I'm not familiar with. Or worse, I read the fifth book and he mentions his wife or partner being murdered. Then I pick up an earler book in the series and the dead person is still alive and I know they are about to get killed before the book ends.

The problem is, the older books may have been written 20 years ago and hard to find. Yes, I can get them online, but I'm cheap and do my book "shopping" at the library.

Then when I've finished the series, I am left wondering whatever happened to the hero of the series if there aren't any more written. Or if I read a book by that author not in that series, but in the same genre (such as a differant lawyer but in the same area of the country) I'm wondering hwere the other guy is. I like it when a character will make a cameo in another book.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:07 PM

72 posts, read 184,846 times
I see a lot of James Patterson books in my local "bargain bin". I am curious about his books. A lot of people seem to like him. Who would you compare him to and what type of fiction does he write? I enjoy everything from Nora Roberts down to Jeffery Deaver. Is it worth the 8$ for a new hardcover to try him out?

Old 07-10-2010, 01:09 PM

72 posts, read 184,846 times
Also, some people have suggested I read The Hunger Games. Has anyone read this series and what do you think?

Old 07-10-2010, 01:28 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Ed McBain's 54 books about the 87th precinct and Marshall Grover's over 460 books about Larry and Streak.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:58 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy of five books. By Douglas Adams.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:02 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,882 times
One of my favorite series writers is Scott Westerfeld. He writes young adult literature.

1st choice: Uglies, Pretties, Specials
2nd choice: the Midnighters series (I think there are three or four books)
3rd choice: Peeps books (I think there are two)

You can't go wrong with anything by Westerfeld, but I like the first series I've listed best because the books are long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books