Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 01:47 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
No, it won't go all e-books but down the road a few years, books will be like the vintage LP vinyl I collect. Who doesn't remember the transition from records to cassetttes to eight track to Cd's and now personal devices like MP3?

If reading would stop because of a change in format, reading would have died when things shifted from papryus scrolls!
There will be a slight difference with books. Paper books don't require a player like records, cassettes, etc. so they will not be left behind as easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
No, because you can search for words or phrases, you can enter a location number (and now, on some books, a page number like a printed edition), you can use the table of contents (assuming the books have one, and most do) to go to a particular chapter.
My husband got me an ereader. I got a free bible. I cannot page through chapters, there is no table of contents. I was told it depends on the way the publisher set the book up originally. I found a site with free currently popular books but my husband tells me it is illegal in the US and that is a site of a foreign country and if I download their books I will be breaking the law. I don't like the way the thing is printed. I can change the size of the font but not the font, itself.
It is much easier to flip though the pages of a book for me. I through the thing out.
My husband salvaged it.
It is sitting in it's box on the bottom of a closet, too expensive to throw out but neither of us like it.

Oh, I think Border's is suffering from the same ills that plagued CompUSA and the US auto industry - poor management. When they were bought out by KMart you could see this coming. What does KMart know of the book industry? Nada.

They need a way of varying speed in flipping through the pages, the way you 'fan' through a book to see if you'd like it. They need to give you this experience online, as well, before you purchase. They need the actual ability to change fonts. They could use color, too. Maybe you can get all this from the Ipad, I don't know - but one device that lets you load books, surf the net, phone people - that seems to be where this is going, and that would be much more user friendly. I also need to be able to loan my downloaded book out more precisely as I do my regular books, that is across different mfg products (meaning an industry standard, or an easy way to convert formats) and to loan it out as long as my friends wish to keep it, maybe permanently.

This is actually more convenient for the industry - enabling them to sell more books. I give my old books to the church to raise money to help people. I cannot do this with ebooks. I don't like the product.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 AM

181 posts, read 338,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
My husband got me an ereader. I got a free bible. I cannot page through chapters, there is no table of contents. I was told it depends on the way the publisher set the book up originally. I found a site with free currently popular books but my husband tells me it is illegal in the US and that is a site of a foreign country and if I download their books I will be breaking the law. I don't like the way the thing is printed. I can change the size of the font but not the font, itself.
It is much easier to flip though the pages of a book for me. I through the thing out.
My husband salvaged it.
It is sitting in it's box on the bottom of a closet, too expensive to throw out but neither of us like it.

Oh, I think Border's is suffering from the same ills that plagued CompUSA and the US auto industry - poor management. When they were bought out by KMart you could see this coming. What does KMart know of the book industry? Nada.

They need a way of varying speed in flipping through the pages, the way you 'fan' through a book to see if you'd like it. They need to give you this experience online, as well, before you purchase. They need the actual ability to change fonts. They could use color, too. Maybe you can get all this from the Ipad, I don't know - but one device that lets you load books, surf the net, phone people - that seems to be where this is going, and that would be much more user friendly. I also need to be able to loan my downloaded book out more precisely as I do my regular books, that is across different mfg products (meaning an industry standard, or an easy way to convert formats) and to loan it out as long as my friends wish to keep it, maybe permanently.

This is actually more convenient for the industry - enabling them to sell more books. I give my old books to the church to raise money to help people. I cannot do this with ebooks. I don't like the product.
Free Bible: Publisher errors. Did you try a different version? No? Why?

Illegal down loading site: So upset should not use the illegal site? How about all the legal sites with free books, such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble or Smashwords?

Font: Can't change? When was the last time you changed a font on a DTB? (Dead Tree Book)

Can"t flip through pages? That is what the button are for, back, forward, etc.

Threw it out: Silly.

Salvaged it: Wise.

Sitting in box in closet: Why not return for credit? Logical.

Sell it? Logical.

Give it to an intelligent individual? Generous.

Donate to Church? Generous. Tax deductable.

Borders: Bad management. Failed to realize what was coming.You can fight change. You just can't beat it.

See if you like it: Free sample chapters or return in 7 days if don't like. What's better than that?

IPad as a reader: To each his own. As a mulitpupose item,OK. Got its drawbacks. Shiny screen and hard to read outside in bright light among them.

Loan books: Available. Permanent loan is not a loan, it is a gift.

Being able to cross different manf.: Tell that to the manufacturer of everything outhere.

Ereaders: Not everyone is suitable to own one.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:29 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,437 times
I prefer actual books by about 10 to 1. E-books just don't seem real to me.

I can't hardly imagine a world without libraries full of books. Nor do I want to.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
No, I can read a book with no power, it's portable, and I don't have to worry about the battery wearing down and powering off the reader.

I don't even own a gadget for that, and I don't care if "there's an app for that."

Old 02-20-2011, 10:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
There will be a slight difference with books. Paper books don't require a player like records, cassettes, etc. so they will not be left behind as easily.
I wonder about this though.

I know this is the wrong forum, but we also went from VHS to DVD, and now companies like Netflix are moving away from mailing actual DVD's and want you to download it to your computer.

I don't want to download it to the computer, and I am not sure my computer's even set up for that. It's got a slow processor too.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
My husband got me an ereader. I got a free bible. I cannot page through chapters, there is no table of contents. I was told it depends on the way the publisher set the book up originally.
That's correct, it's the publishers responsibility to format their ebooks. There are plenty of Bibles correctly formatted with a clickable Table of Contents.

Quote:
I found a site with free currently popular books but my husband tells me it is illegal in the US and that is a site of a foreign country and if I download their books I will be breaking the law.
Yes, that's sounds illegal. You can not legally download modern copyrighted works unless it's a legal free promo which you'll find from legitimate stores like Kindle or B&N. Were you expecting to be able to get all your books for free?

Quote:
I don't like the way the thing is printed. I can change the size of the font but not the font, itself.
You can actually change the font type with Kindle's latest model (K3). There are only a few font options but it's better than nothing. You don't mention what type of ereader your husband got you so I assume it's not a K3.

Quote:
They need a way of varying speed in flipping through the pages, the way you 'fan' through a book to see if you'd like it.
I don't see why you need this when you can jump to locations quite easily. You can easily put in a page number or location to jump to or do a search for a word or phrase to jump to a certain part.

Quote:
I through the thing out.
My husband salvaged it.
Again, I don't know which brand/model you got but Kindle has a 30-day return policy. You could always sell it and get some of your money back.

Quote:
They need to give you this experience online, as well, before you purchase.
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you be more specific? Kindle and B&N have applications for PC/Mac so you can read their ebooks on your computer. While not all the features will be the same as the ereader, it does provide a decent preview to how ebooks work.

Quote:
They need the actual ability to change fonts.
Again, Kindle provide this with their latest model. Don't assume all brands and models of ereaders are exactly the same.

Quote:
They could use color, too.
Color e-ink is still in it's infancy and hasn't really been mastered yet. B&N provide a Color Nook but it does not use e-ink. The technology simply isn't there yet to provide color e-ink but it will eventually.

Quote:
Maybe you can get all this from the Ipad, I don't know - but one device that lets you load books, surf the net, phone people - that seems to be where this is going, and that would be much more user friendly.
If that's what you're looking for, go for it. But I prefer the paper and ink like look of e-ink while reading and I have my iPhone for surfing the net and phoning people on the go (I can also read my Kindle books on it and do so occasionally but I prefer my actual Kindle).

Quote:
I also need to be able to loan my downloaded book out more precisely as I do my regular books, that is across different mfg products (meaning an industry standard, or an easy way to convert formats) and to loan it out as long as my friends wish to keep it, maybe permanently.
Loaning is very restricted with ebooks and I admit that is one of the drawbacks but hopefully this will improve over time.

ebooks aren't for everyone but a lot of your disappointments seem to be from having high expectations from a very new industry which is still rapidly growing and improving. Maybe in a few years it will be more suitable to your liking.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:32 PM

7 posts, read 15,670 times
Print books rule. You can't beat having a printed book in hand.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:01 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
I prefer an actual book. e-readers are for yuppies and hipsters.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:26 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
I prefer my Kindle Touch,can easily hold with one hand and the book never closes on me!

Plus never have trouble with 'too small text'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books