U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 PM

375 posts, read 264,908 times

Advertisements

What's your opinion of Ebooks? I like printed books, but curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 PM

375 posts, read 264,908 times
I prefer printed books.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:19 PM

162 posts, read 76,427 times
I prefer printed books all the way. Same thing with these iphones that you can watch movies on...who hell wants to watch a movie on a 3" screen?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:56 AM

5,348 posts, read 6,674,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
I prefer printed books all the way. Same thing with these iphones that you can watch movies on...who hell wants to watch a movie on a 3" screen?
People who travel a lot... the only time I watch a movie on my iPhone is on a plane. Sometimes, the in flight movies don't interest me or I've already seen them - having movies and books on my phone is a great way to pass the time without having to lug around a laptop with a larger screen or a bunch of paperback books. Besides, the screen on the backs of the seats aren't that much bigger than the iPhone.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 AM

18,201 posts, read 15,658,532 times
I guess a Kindle would be okay for going on vacation and not having to take up packing space with several books and magazines, as I tend to go through on vacation. And if I can get a book cheaper as an electronic copy than hardback, that's not bad either. But I still prefer actual books.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:16 AM

177 posts, read 187,317 times
E-Books. They are all about the author's story. They are not about pretty book covers or decor for a room. They are not about the feel or the smell or the weight.

I don't understand the feel of superiority by those that prefer "real" books to e-books.

E-readers are just another format by which to get the author's story. You want "feel and smell" get a leather cover from Oberon Design. As for the weight, Stephen King's "Under The Dome" made that decision for me.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:55 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,973,253 times
Hard to get a "coffee table" type book on a Kindle and some subjects lend themselves to the coffee table format. (Art for example)

Old 08-07-2010, 04:32 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,190,771 times
Real books! I want to feel the book, I want to turn the pages, I want to have it on my bookshelf. You can't get that with an e-book.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:28 PM

4,552 posts, read 1,929,346 times
I must admit, I now prefer the Kindle (I bought the first one on the second day it was introduced, and now have the K2).

I love having multiple books on the Kindle. Instead of multiple hard-copy books sitting by my bed, I now have the Kindle. I am now reading four books; the Kindle, of course, automatically keeps track of where I left off when I depart the book.

I also enjoy sitting on my porch on a lazy Sunday morning and thinking "I wonder what the London Times is reporting today?" I then go into the Kindle store (not leaving my chair or coffee), purchase the Sunday Times, and within mere seconds I am reading it.

Last year I purchased, for $4.99, The Complete Works of Arthur Conon Doyle. Everything he ever published, including books that no sane person would go out and buy and display on their bookshelf (for instance, one of his Professor Challenger stories, written after Doyle became obsessed with Spiritualism; a dreadful work). However, I discovered many gems that normally don't get read.

I still occasionally purchase a 'real' book. Some books, as noted by others, do not do well on Kindle (recipes, art, etc).

I feel a person is either interested in 'reading', or interested in 'showing off my library". Recall, Hallf Price Books sells 'books by the foot' for those who wish to fill up their bookshelf to impress their guests.

Finally, this argument (ebook versus real books) reminds me of an original Star Trek episode. Jim and Bones visit some old man who has 'real books'. The Old Man gives a very impassioned speech about 'holding, feeling, and smelling' a real book, versus the electronic books (Star Trek was very advanced in its thinking; this was 1968 or so). I note that many people seem to like to repeat the Old Man's argument (I believe Jim zapped him with his laser gun or whatever).

Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM

5,521 posts, read 6,126,269 times
I can't see ever reading an e-book unless I was on vacation somewhere there aren't any good bookstores which does happen if you like to head out to rural or rugged areas for vacation. Or traveling in foreign lands where all the books are in a foreign language. I mean its a nice option IF of course and thats a big IF you can find a place out there in rural or rugged middle of nowhere to download a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books