Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 02:14 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times

Advertisements

I have no desire to use ebooks. I like the feel of a real book, and I like that I am not staring at a screen when I read a real book. My eyes are strained enough from staring at a computer screen all day at work, that I like to spend time reading at night to get away from staring at a screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Interesting, I've just been informed that the Nook does actually support ebooks from other stores - not from Kindle but from Sony's ebook store, Kobo's, Borders, etc. That doesn't work the other way around - Sony's eReaders don't support B&N ebooks for example... but the fact that the Nook does support ebooks from other stores is a step forward in the right direction and evidence that it's only a matter of time before other manufacturers follow.
Why should the public fall for this run-around by the industry?
Only because they are stupid, in my opinion, which I daresay must also be the opinion of the industry.
There are ereaders that sell in Europe that are almost unknown in the US. Those on sale at Foyles I have not heard of.
I really hate it when the industry gets together to screw the consumer and then start a pr campaign to reel in people who purchase without researching.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Only because they are stupid, in my opinion, which I daresay must also be the opinion of the industry.
There are ereaders that sell in Europe that are almost unknown in the US. Those on sale at Foyles I have not heard of.
I really hate it when the industry gets together to screw the consumer and then start a pr campaign to reel in people who purchase without researching.
Don't forget those of us who don't have a choice. For me, it's ebooks or no books. All three main stores - Amazon, Borders, B&N - have free apps for computers and other mobile devices. Anyone who wants can download and test drive, so to speak - they all have different good and not so good points, the main drawback being if I have all three open at once my computer freezes up. I think the kindle is easier to use, but that may be because I've used it more. One of the others has magazines available for it's PC app, which kindle doesn't, but there's not much of a selection. Amazon's is much better, but it only delivers magazines and newspapers to the actual device.

So - while I would infinitely prefer the physical book in my hands, without one of the ereaders I would not be able to read anything.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:41 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You just quoted my comments about how the Nook supports ebooks from other retailers and that's a good sign that the industry is headed in the very direction you want it to... did you even read my post?

Quote:
Once again, the benefits of an ereader outweighed the negatives for me. That does not make me stupid, it makes me completely logical. If ereaders aren't for you, don't buy one, it's that simple. Why do you care how the ebook industry works if you haven't bought into it? Why do you harbor such a hatred for anyone who has a different opinion than you about this?

Quote:
There are ereaders that sell in Europe that are almost unknown in the US.
And they are...? Even assuming this is true, why does it matter? As I've explained, they do not support univeral DRM anyway. The Nook, which is one of the most popular ereaders in the US (and the only ereader to support DRM from other retailers), is not even available in Europe. I'm not sure what your point is.

Quote:
I did a TON of research on Kindle and ereaders before buying one. I always do research before buying any electronic device.

This is what you fail to understand: the industry has not "gotten together" at all. If anything, they have FAILED to get together and collaborate on a universal DRM to allow compatibility among them. It's BECAUSE they haven't gotten together that they all use unique DRMs which prevent compatibility. This isn't some big conspiracy to ********* although I imagine no amount of my talking sense will convince you to abandon your obvious delusions and predetermined categorizing and judgements of people who have bought an ereader. No doubt you will totally ignore all my valid points just as you did before and continue to rant nonsensibly. Have fun with that!

Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,738 times
This thread came to mind the other day when my friend emailed me from the doctors office while she was waiting for her appt. The battery on her Kindle had died, which made me think to myself, "Hmm... the only time a battery dies while I'm reading is when my brain shuts off."

regular books- 1 ebooks-0

Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
This thread came to mind the other day when my friend emailed me from the doctors office while she was waiting for her appt. The battery on her Kindle had died, which made me think to myself, "Hmm... the only time a battery dies while I'm reading is when my brain shuts off."

regular books- 1 ebooks-0
Well if she recharged it before going out, it wouldn't be a problem - that's not "ebooks 0" that's "user 0". Recharging really isn't that big of a deal and Kindle's newest battery can last up to a month with wifi off - hardly an inconvenience, you're making a big deal out of nothing.

Plus, if she was emailing you from the doctor's office, it sounds like she maybe has a smart phone and Kindle has app's for iPhone, Blackberry and Android... all she'd need to do is download the app and keep reading on her phone since Kindle books sync among all the devices and apps for it.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:51 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,131 times
My Kindle battery lasts for a month or more so if someone neglects to charge their device it has little to do with the value of e-books versus regular paper books. It's no different than neglecting to charge your cell phone before going out for the day. If you don't, you can't use it. You wouldn't say "Oh, my landline would never have that issue" and get rid of your cell phone.

It's not a competition. If you like the feel of a real book, then by all means keep reading them. If you like e-books, then buy a device on which you can read them. I enjoy both.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:08 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
.. all she'd need to do is download the app and keep reading on her phone since Kindle books sync among all the devices and apps for it. [/quote]

Or carry a book.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You just quoted my comments about how the Nook supports ebooks from other retailers and that's a good sign that the industry is headed in the very direction you want it to... did you even read my post?

Once again, the benefits of an ereader outweighed the negatives for me. That does not make me stupid, it makes me completely logical. If ereaders aren't for you, don't buy one, it's that simple. Why do you care how the ebook industry works if you haven't bought into it? Why do you harbor such a hatred for anyone who has a different opinion than you about this?

And they are...? Even assuming this is true, why does it matter? As I've explained, they do not support univeral DRM anyway. The Nook, which is one of the most popular ereaders in the US (and the only ereader to support DRM from other retailers), is not even available in Europe. I'm not sure what your point is.

I did a TON of research on Kindle and ereaders before buying one. I always do research before buying any electronic device.

This is what you fail to understand: the industry has not "gotten together" at all. If anything, they have FAILED to get together and collaborate on a universal DRM to allow compatibility among them. It's BECAUSE they haven't gotten together that they all use unique DRMs which prevent compatibility. This isn't some big conspiracy to ********* although I imagine no amount of my talking sense will convince you to abandon your obvious delusions and predetermined categorizing and judgements of people who have bought an ereader. No doubt you will totally ignore all my valid points just as you did before and continue to rant nonsensibly. Have fun with that!
I have no problem with people who research and find a product useful. I do have a problem with people who purchase and find the product does not meet their needs or has fewer advantages than the technology it replaces for them and I also have a problem with an industry that is not completely forthcoming regarding their product.

Too many times have I walked into a store and asked questions about a product and been told by the salesperson they do not know the answer. Then, when I ask to see the manual so I can see for myself they say they cannot do that. That they can get away with this means, to me, that there must be a lot of stupid people 'out there' who make purchases with a partial blindfold on. This speaks poorly of the public and also of the industry. You're right - I do care, and believe I should.

I daresay there were many folks, early on, who purchased the reader and books thinking the books were then their property and they could be passed on to friends. It was fairly recently that 'family accounts' were started. People complained.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
My Kindle battery lasts for a month or more so if someone neglects to charge their device it has little to do with the value of e-books versus regular paper books. It's no different than neglecting to charge your cell phone before going out for the day. If you don't, you can't use it. You wouldn't say "Oh, my landline would never have that issue" and get rid of your cell phone.

It's not a competition. If you like the feel of a real book, then by all means keep reading them. If you like e-books, then buy a device on which you can read them. I enjoy both.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books