Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 01:41 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times

Advertisements

I love books but i cant normally fit them into my busy schedule so i stick with movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Not better. An alternative. I don't know anyone with an e-reader who has given up reading print books. I don't feel it's an "either/or". Just different.

Agree, totally.

When it comes to large-scale art books for instance, I still want the real deal. The Kindle just doesn't look quite the same sitting on the coffee table.

(^^^ That was a joke people). I really do still buy and read both e-books and paper. Books with pretty pictures are still best on paper.

Another use for the Kindle or other e-reader? Full-time RVers. We mentioned this to my SOs parents this weekend. It seems that the weight of paper-books is too much for many full-timers to lug around. Especially if the cost of fuel rises again. An e-reader could be a great gift for the RV-dweller in your life.

I'd also like to see more textbooks in e-format so that we can reduce the weight of the backpacks of America's students. Wouldn't that be great? Perhaps costs to school districts and parents could be lightened as well.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Not better. An alternative. I don't know anyone with an e-reader who has given up reading print books. I don't feel it's an "either/or". Just different.
I have pretty much given up reading print books. Apart from the few image heavy books like the photography/photoshop books I get, I won't read a book until/unless it's on Kindle. I just don't have the room in my apartment to store any more printed books and even if I did, I get pretty bad hand strain from holding open even a paperback, let alone a hardback. So it's just not worth it for me to buy a paper book any more. But I realize most people are not in the same position as me and I encourage everyone to understand it doesn't have to be one or the other - most ebook users still enjoy both.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Thumbs down It was okay, but not nearly as good as reading regular book.

Just read my first book on my iPhone. I couldn't get the print book yet and wanted some "immediate gratification" with a particular new book. So I downloaded the kindle version. I just finished it last night and I doubt I will do that again unless it's the only way a book is available. I enjoyed reading it to some extent, but clearly not as much as a regular book. And I liked this book! (Part of series.) Just didn't enjoy it as much reading it this way.

For one thing, besides the chapter numbers (and I didn't know how many chapters it had) I was clueless how far "into" the book I was. I read pretty fast. So I sometimes try to intentionally slow down and pace myself in order to enjoy the book a little longer if that makes sense. With this I didn't really know how close to the end I was getting until I could tell the plot issues were resolving.

A Kindle would be bigger than reading it off of my iPhone, but I don't think that was the issue really.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:30 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,170 times
Default Why Not Both?

The simple answer is "Why not both"? If e-books stand the test of time, they will be around for a long while..... of course their life span may not match the record of books. I feel like people are buying a novelty.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:32 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round tuit View Post
... I feel like people are buying a novelty.
more a convenience than a novelty, I think.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
more a convenience than a novelty, I think.
I'm a commuter, and I still see a lot of people with real books on the train. However, I'm also talking to more people I know at work who are getting Kindles, one by one. They feel it's easier to schlep, and I can see that when, like this week, my hardcover from the library adds to the weight of the bag with the lunch and whatnot in it.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:24 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Just read my first book on my iPhone. I couldn't get the print book yet and wanted some "immediate gratification" with a particular new book. So I downloaded the kindle version. I just finished it last night and I doubt I will do that again unless it's the only way a book is available. I enjoyed reading it to some extent, but clearly not as much as a regular book. And I liked this book! (Part of series.) Just didn't enjoy it as much reading it this way.

For one thing, besides the chapter numbers (and I didn't know how many chapters it had) I was clueless how far "into" the book I was. I read pretty fast. So I sometimes try to intentionally slow down and pace myself in order to enjoy the book a little longer if that makes sense. With this I didn't really know how close to the end I was getting until I could tell the plot issues were resolving.

A Kindle would be bigger than reading it off of my iPhone, but I don't think that was the issue really.
Most ebooks have a Table of Contents in the front of the book which lists the chapters (the app jumps straight to the first page of book so you might have missed it) - some of them even have a clickable Table of Contents so you can jump to any chapter in the book but that is down to the publisher.

More importantly, while the iPhone app does not display the percentage of how far into the book you are (it has a progress bar but no exact percentage), the Kindle device does. The Kindle for PC/Mac program does as well. I guess they felt there wasn't room for it on the smaller screen of the phone. It's my only complaint about the iPhone app but it's not a problem with the Kindle itself. I'm currently 65% through one of the Kindle books I'm reading and 15% into the other.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I love to read, addicted to it actually, and still love books....and yet.

Here's a recent example. I was trying to read Stephen King's Under the Dome, at night, in bed, and DARN if that thing wasn't heavy!!! I gave the hardback to my SO when I was finished and said "You may want to download this instead".
I am reading this book right now. And this is actually the first time I've ever considered a Kindle. Luckily I don't have to travel on Public Transportation carrying this huge book.
I love books - but I'm also seriously running out of space in my apartment (I must surely have literally thousands). So I might possibly cave and get a Kindle this year now that Staples is also selling them.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
I still prefer to carry out around books. And I really like living in a house where there are bookshelves filled with books, and a fireplace. I've tried Kindle, and just couldn't get into it. I think it's just personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books