Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So apparently Amazon is selling more e-books than hard covers. No doubt they're giddy as it moves them a step closer to getting rid of the shame they feel for originally being a bookstore website. Anyways I'm about half and half hardcover and softcover. I can't see myself continuing to read if it goes to all e-books, or even only e-book on the books I want to read. Am I the only one?
Your assertion that Amazon is somehow ashamed for originally being a bookstore website is not merely unfounded but downright bizarre. For all the retail diversification they've undertaken, books is what they're still known best for and it still represents a major source of revenue. They still sell more print books than almost anyone else on Earth, by the tens of thousands, every day, and their printed book sales volume is still growing. This leads to two relevant conclusions: 1) Amazon experiences no shame about selling printed books now or ever; 2) you're not the only one who prefers printed books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 05:15 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
I love my Kindle for many reasons. I still love hard backed books as well, but the convenience of being able to carry multiple books with me when I travel frees up space in my bag and reduces the weight of my luggage. No, it is not exactly the same as the real thing, but the pluses outweigh the minuses for me.

Also, the cost of e-books is far less than hard copies. So I vote BOTH e-books and hard copies for me.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:12 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I don't know why but I can concentrate better when I'm reading an actual book.
Me, too, and I really don't understand why. I have trouble with audio books for the same reason. My mind doesn't stay focused. I'll tune the book out, then drift back in, and find myself lost.

While I can see all of the possibilities, and advantages, of e-books, they just aren't for me. Maybe eventually I will find one that I connect with -- but nothing out there right now appeals to me on any level.

I am hoping e-publishing will reduce the use of paper, and put publishing companies in a position where they are a bit more selective about what goes to print. For the junk material I do read, I can see how an e-book would be most advantageous.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
I don't have a Kindle, but I was thinking while reading last night, that another advantage to "real" books is the smell ! I love the smell of books..old ones,new ones..they smell so good
Another problem for me, is that the books I read are not out in Kindle..and probably never will be. But as FlightAttendant said, the Kindle can be very useful for travel where space and weight are at issue. Guess just as long as you keep on reading,the format does not matter

Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyra View Post
Another problem for me, is that the books I read are not out in Kindle..and probably never will be.
You can send a request to the publisher through Kindle for them to make a book available on Kindle. Doesn't mean they will definitely do it but the cost is minimal to none for them so if they've had some requests (and you could always ask some friends to request it for you too), they may very well supply it. There have been a lot of books I was truly surprised were available on Kindle (in the US - their international supplies are pathetic), either because they were obscure or outdated. So don't be too sure about that.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
The kindle has its time and place (some convenience issues, like on trips), but frankly, it's not as comforting and the page formats slow down my reading considerably.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
Mighty Oak you had to die.

Now you ask why?

An authors story isn't real, without that dead tree feel.
I was waiting for an environmentalist to show up.

I care about the environment, too. When I'm done with most of my books, I pass them around or donate them. If I can get a used book in good condition, I will. Others, sorry, but no, the photos require paper, as do all of my editorial style manuals. Also, I'm not going to give myself migraines and ruin my eyesight any more than a career in publishing and staring at a computer monitor for 10 hours a day already have.

About the only advantages I see to Kindles are their use while one is traveling and the fact that they're not on the silverfish menu.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I've gotten into my Kindle pretty well, but I like the feel and smell of a book.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 AM

181 posts, read 338,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I was waiting for an environmentalist to show up.

I care about the environment, too. When I'm done with most of my books, I pass them around or donate them. If I can get a used book in good condition, I will. Others, sorry, but no, the photos require paper, as do all of my editorial style manuals. Also, I'm not going to give myself migraines and ruin my eyesight any more than a career in publishing and staring at a computer monitor for 10 hours a day already have.

About the only advantages I see to Kindles are their use while one is traveling and the fact that they're not on the silverfish menu.
Comparing reading on a computer monitor to an e-reader is a comparison of apples to oranges.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:35 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,751 times
I'm with you. I think technology can be a wonderful thing, but there is such a thing as too much. I don't see any advantage to an e book over a conventional book. Also, I tend to dislike gadgets which require batteries especially something like this, because I'd run out of juice just as I'm about to finish the last chapter of the book with my luck. Also, since any reading material is stored electronically, if the thing gets damaged, you've just lost however many books you had stored in it.

They won't sell one to me for my own use, but I'll guarantee I'll be getting one for my wife weather I want too or not.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books