Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,068,425 times

Advertisements

I have read so many books now that I can't always remember which, but occasionally like today, two books keep flitting through my mind. I can remember the plot, the theme, the protaganist, but not the title. I tried to do several searches by topic, to no avail, so now I am frustrated

So, how you keep a record of all those books over all these years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 12:58 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,389,089 times
I don't keep track..and as a result I sometimes read the same one twice
If I am trying to remember a book title, movie, or actor's name, I usually go through the alphabet...it works 93 1/4 % of the time for me !!!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM

321 posts, read 850,740 times
My 12-year-old and I have a contest going - a challenge - to see how many pages we can read in a year. Therefore, in my computer I have a file where I list each book we read, the author, the number of pages and a brief write-up of the book. I do this for the books I read and the ones she reads and the ones we read together. For me, this has been a very effective way to encourage her to develop a love of reading. Right now, she is reading Erin Hunter's Warrior series, and I am reading a David Baldacci novel, (the Camel Club) and a Jonathan Kellerman novel (Therapy). Together, we are reading The Weirdstone of Brisingamen, by Alan Garner which is a thrilling novel for a pre-teen and allows us to spend quality time together. I've actually kept the list on my computer for longer than a year for me because I like to see what I've read, if I've enjoyed the book or the author, and how many different books I've actually read.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,356,774 times
ontheroad, there is no way I could keep track of all the books I've read. I think most of us have tried to remember which came from what book at times. I do know if I've read one when I look at the beginning, or read the back.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:00 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,068,425 times
I can do that with names, but it appears after 12hrs I can't do it with books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
I don't keep track..and as a result I sometimes read the same one twice
If I am trying to remember a book title, movie, or actor's name, I usually go through the alphabet...it works 93 1/4 % of the time for me !!!
I did start a read list, but it appears I didn't include all the books I read from the time I started the list, and now I sure wish I had stuck with the plan. Good for you for being so organised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansidhbabe View Post
My 12-year-old and I have a contest going - a challenge - to see how many pages we can read in a year. Therefore, in my computer I have a file where I list each book we read, the author, the number of pages and a brief write-up of the book. I do this for the books I read and the ones she reads and the ones we read together. For me, this has been a very effective way to encourage her to develop a love of reading. Right now, she is reading Erin Hunter's Warrior series, and I am reading a David Baldacci novel, (the Camel Club) and a Jonathan Kellerman novel (Therapy). Together, we are reading The Weirdstone of Brisingamen, by Alan Garner which is a thrilling novel for a pre-teen and allows us to spend quality time together. I've actually kept the list on my computer for longer than a year for me because I like to see what I've read, if I've enjoyed the book or the author, and how many different books I've actually read.
Nor can I, Jess5, nor can I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
ontheroad, there is no way I could keep track of all the books I've read. I think most of us have tried to remember which came from what book at times. I do know if I've read one when I look at the beginning, or read the back.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:24 PM

218 posts, read 605,063 times
I started keeping a list of books I read about 8 years ago. You can really tell the years when things were either busy or I just wasn't into reading. I try to rate books, but my reaction or response to a book can change over time, especially when something better comes along. My list is handwritten in a notebook. I think I'll do like Bansidhbabe and start keeping it on the computer. I'm wondering though, what is the most effective way to "rate" a book, other than category (fiction, non-fiction) and a scale of 1-10? Any hints or guidance on this is appreciated.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,121,263 times
In the last 6 months or so I've been keeping track on PBS. I've logged in all the books I've read in that time, and then a few of my favorite or really memorable reads as well.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:55 PM

471 posts, read 1,505,448 times
Great post, gets me thinking I need to not be so lazy about recording stuff. I am sad for all the book titles I have failed to write down. Just today I was thinking of a book but couldn't remember the title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASunshine View Post
I try to rate books, but my reaction or response to a book can change over time...
So true. I remember sometimes putting a book down and thinking that wasn't so great. But then later I'll find myself thinking about it and appreciating something about it I didn't consider while in the middle of it.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:48 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,258 times
It looks like there are some good ideas here. I created a template with title, author, date I read the book, and my ratings in different categories, plus space for some text. I was doing a good job for years, but then something scrambled my file.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,425,000 times
Never occurred to me to keep a log -- but what a great idea.

I actually feel silly having not considered it before, as I used to make my HS students keep a log -- especially the 10th graders who would be writing on an end-of-course test, and would have to pull from things they had read.

I read so much until I have a difficult time, on occasion, recalling some of the details of a work. I can look at the title/author and know I read the book, but some of the details have left me. This would be a nice way to jog the ole noggin'. As much as I find myself on the laptop every day, creating a file would be easy to do, and possibly maintain. My husband is a spreadsheet fanatic -- I'll bet he'd gladly help me set up such a file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books