Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,131,218 times

Advertisements

I'm very curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:25 AM

4,929 posts, read 10,598,074 times
I'm not really sure an American would use the term "World Class Literature." But I imagine that it would entail anything that is considered a classic, like The Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird,
Anna Karenina, etc.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,088,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I'm very curious.
I'm wondering if you mean what books by American writers Americans would consider "World Class," of if you are simply asking what books from anywhere Americans would consider books of worldwide importance.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I'm wondering if you mean what books by American writers Americans would consider "World Class," of if you are simply asking what books from anywhere Americans would consider books of worldwide importance.
Any books.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,337,546 times
I would imagine the answers would be as varied as the readers. Americans are individuals just like anyone else.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I would imagine the answers would be as varied as the readers. Americans are individuals just like anyone else.
True, but I 'd like to read some book titles in this thread.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM

377 posts, read 874,835 times
I feel that you still didn't answer the question Visvaldis:
do you want book titles from American writers that Americans consider "world class" or
do you want book titles from any writers that Americans considers "world class"?

If you want "any books", there are already enough threads recommending great books, just take a look and start making a list.
I did

Old 08-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoLight View Post
I feel that you still didn't answer the question Visvaldis:
do you want book titles from American writers that Americans consider "world class" or
do you want book titles from any writers that Americans considers "world class"?

If you want "any books", there are already enough threads recommending great books, just take a look and start making a list.
I did
I don't know why it's so difficult to name book titles that Americans consider as world class literature.
Yes, other people, besides Americans, write books.
I don't care much for the recommendation for great books. I seldom read fiction and have no interest in romance novels, spy thrillers, or murder mysteries.
However, some works of fiction can be regarded as world class literature.
I am interested to know what books Americans consider as world class literature.
I can name several. But I'm interested in the American selections.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:45 PM

13,499 posts, read 18,088,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Any books.
Thanks. Well, here are some of my nominations, all fiction:

In Search of Lost Time, Marcel Proust - This series of books is work, but well worth it...the observation of social change and decay are laced with a great deal of wit. There are several English translations, I tried three and felt that the Penguin Books translation using a different translator for each book is the most readable.

The Tale of Genji, Murasaki Shikibu - I have read it three times and prefer the translation by Royall Tyler. Unless a Westerner has some familiarity with the Japan and the period the book is set in it is a good idea to read The World of the Shining Prince by Ivan Morris before beginning.

The Third Policeman and At-Swim Two Birds, Flann O'Brien.
Thérèse Desqueroux, François Mauriac
Snow Country, Yasunari Kawabata
Dubliners, James Joyce
Tess of the Dubervilles or Return of the Native, Thomas Hardy
The Golden Ass, Apulius
The Plague, Albert Camus
All the Names, José Saramago (most people would probably say Blindness instead of this one.)
Hunger, Knut Hamsen
East of Eden or Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
The Buddha Tree, Fumio Niwa
Lie Down in Darkness, William Styron
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Berlin Alexanderplatz, Alfred Döblin
The Devil to Pay in the Backlands, João Guimarães Rosa
The Hour of the Star, Clarice Lispector
Nana, Emile Zola
U.S.A., John Dos Passos
Sister Carrie, Theodore Dreiser
The Dwarf, Par Lagerkvist
Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe
A Death in the Family, James Agee
Winesburg, Ohio, Sherwood Anderson
The Twyborn Affair and Riders in the Chariot, Patrick White
Daisy Bates in the Desert, Julia Blackburn...........

Old 08-18-2010, 03:28 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,236,939 times
Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

This book captures all the pathos of someone who has dreams but just can't quite fufill them. I've got roughly 40 pages left of a 675 page book and I can honestly say that this book is tying my other all time favorite book - The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books