Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:47 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times

Advertisements

I just finished this and really liked it. I recommend it to anyone who liked the Paks books of course.
Oath of Fealty starts at the end of book 3 - but is not told from Paksennarion's perspective. Instead events unfold shifting from the perspectives of King Phelan, Capt Dorrion, Capt Arcolin, the Prince of Tsia, well a lot of things happen in his court but not his voice/perspective. Paks makes a couple of small appearances.
It seems set up for future books or a series though I haven't looked around to see if that's the plan.
The Paksenarrion World Chronicles

If you haven't read the original Deeds of Paksennarion, 3 book series, I highly recommend them. Sometimes libraries have them, otherwise they can be hard to find.
The Deed of Paksenarrion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So glad to see Elizabeth Moon back to this. I have enjoyed some of her sci-fi as well but these were my favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Good old Paks.
I had lost touch with her.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:17 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,482,376 times
Giesela:

I haven't read any of Ms. Moon's books because I had heard she wrote mostly for the post-adolescent market. Coming of age stories, action packed youth orientated novels, and such. More spaceships and FTL than riding dragons on the world of Pern as Anne McCaffery writes; but same target audience.

Is this true? Your review gives me pause, as in maybe I should reconsider.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Well.....not sure what to say. Twilight and Harry Potter are post-adolescent but many adults like them.
As for the Paks series I would not call them post-adolescent anyway. Don't know if that applies to her sci-fi, I've read some of it, mostly young but sometimes a little older characters.....isn't most fantasy and sci-fi a little 'post-adolescent'?
That said there is well, pretty much no sex in these books. Paks is....sort of a Joan of Arc in the making. Does that make it post-adolescent? I would argue the reverse as most teenagers love something to sink their hormones into.
I would read the wiki page to get a sense of the underlying themes she's exploring. Her medieval world is not as complex as Lord of the Rings, maybe more like David Eddings. Her Marine background and history major shows I think and perhaps because I was Air Force they resonant a little more with me. They are short books, can't hurt to read the first one.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:59 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,482,376 times
Giesela:

Thanks for the reply.

Phil

Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Well.....not sure what to say. Twilight and Harry Potter are post-adolescent but many adults like them.
As for the Paks series I would not call them post-adolescent anyway. Don't know if that applies to her sci-fi, I've read some of it, mostly young but sometimes a little older characters.....isn't most fantasy and sci-fi a little 'post-adolescent'?
That said there is well, pretty much no sex in these books. Paks is....sort of a Joan of Arc in the making. Does that make it post-adolescent? I would argue the reverse as most teenagers love something to sink their hormones into.
I would read the wiki page to get a sense of the underlying themes she's exploring. Her medieval world is not as complex as Lord of the Rings, maybe more like David Eddings. Her Marine background and history major shows I think and perhaps because I was Air Force they resonant a little more with me. They are short books, can't hurt to read the first one.
What I bolded: Yes and yes.
And the lack of sex in the Paks series was, now that I think of it, one of the reasons I enjoyed the series.
Paks is a vivid character; to me her personality is atypical in fantasy/sci fi. There are plenty of strong heroines in this genre, but Paks is different from, say, Claire in the Gabaldon series, or Ayla in Earth's Children. There is no Jamie or Jondalar in her life.

btw
I haven't read every last Pern book, but I enjoyed many, especially the earlier ones.

I don't dip into every single fantasy or sci fi series, but some of them, such as Mary Stewart's Arthurian books, or George RR Martin's series, truly consume me. Maybe it's the escapist/world-building factor, I dunno.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,328 times
I was thrilled when I found out about Oath of Fealty and had it in my little hands the day it came out. I was a little upset when I first heard it wasn't about Paks but she was present enough for me to get my fix. It was a very welcome return to the world and I look forward to the next one.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I was thrilled when I found out about Oath of Fealty and had it in my little hands the day it came out. I was a little upset when I first heard it wasn't about Paks but she was present enough for me to get my fix. It was a very welcome return to the world and I look forward to the next one.
Me too! Nice to see some other people who are real fans. This is one of those series that I reread periodically.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Me too! Nice to see some other people who are real fans. This is one of those series that I reread periodically.
Me too. I've read the three Paks books about half a dozen times.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 PM

661 posts, read 1,250,829 times
I guess no one copywrites book titles. I remember a great book by Larry Niven:
Oath of Fealty is a 1982 novel by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Set in the near future, it involves an arcology, a large inhabited structure, called Todos Santos, which rises above a crime-ridden Los Angeles, California, but has little beyond casual contact with the city. The novel popularized the phrase "think of it as evolution in action," which occurs elsewhere in Niven's books. The novel anticipated the building of the Los Angeles Subway.
From Wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books