Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Here is the List from Easton press:

• Animal Farm by George Orwell
  • Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
  • Iliad by Homer
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
  • The Jungle Book and The Second Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
  • Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence
  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
  • Odyssey by Homer
  • Oedipus the King by Sophocles
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  • Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
  • A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  • War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
I have only read about half of these titles, but the Franklyn/Easton books look great on my Shelf

The Harvard Classics are much cheaper. you can find them for less than 5 bucks each on ebay. International collectors library is another one of the cheap sets with good titles
I've read those above - the only one I did not enjoy was "Lady Chatterley's lover" yawn

Oedipus is one of my all time favourites, I can read this 1000 times and never get tired of it.

Add, Outsider, 1984, The Great Gatsby, On the Road, To Kill A Mockingbird, For whom the Bell Tolls, ---

It's a shame young women are reading Twilight, rather than a real book like "Little Women" Josephine was my idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Here's the ones, I would label must read, out of my library:
Communist Manifesto
Art of War
The Prince
Common Sense
Civil Disobedience
The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nightime (instant classic)
The Simulacra
Farenheit 451
Atlas Shrugged
1984/Animal Farm
Grapes of Wrath/Of Mice and Men
THe Hobbit
Harry Potters (I said it)
The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy series

Add:
Sherlock Holmes and Edgar Allen Poe

Only adults right? No Spots First Picnic, Light in the Attic, or Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark?
I'd like to give Communist Manifesto a read as well.

Curious case, is a fantastic book - fell in love with the main character instantly.

haha no Miffy then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
I applaud the long list of books that HtownLove posted.

However, as the opinion of just myself, some of those books require the reader to bring an appreciation, or at least some education / instructional background, to the full enjoyment of those books. For example Dicken's works helps to know about the social structure and cultural context of English society at the time Dicken's was writing his novels. Same with James Fenimore Cooper, it helps to understand the broad cultural implications of the Emerging country from the British Colonial period and the social structure of the colonist came from.

Just to read some of these books, without preparation which would lead to understanding the context in which the author wrote his book, could result in just mental noise; the reader will only absorb the plot and the description of the characters (and actions) at the top level of the book. The reader might be unable to delve into the depths of the underlying themes and truths of human nature that can be gleaned.

It is only recently in human history that people other that the aristocracy and the higher levels of the middle class were both literate and had inexpensive printing of books available to them. Working people and farm laborers did not have the luxury of reading books, and if they did read, it most likely was limited to religious material IMHO. I am only repeating what we all already know from history books. Obvious example, Scarlet Letter, a 20-something today would have no comprehension as to why a woman is ostracized for have sex outside of marriage, just watch TV sometime. How could one understand ostracizing a woman for having sex without understanding Puritan culture and society structure?

Sorry for the rant. It just seems that one or two of these books on the above lists really need college level Lit courses to get the reader's head around the context, appreciation of the details, and the sub-text of the cultural unwritten (in the book) social codes the characters in the novels exist in.

My rant aside, the books on those lists are still great books.

Phil
lol, I don't mind the rant, I agree witth you there on a lot of them. That is why I said I have only been through half of them.

Even mainstays like Don Quixote and Moby Dick takes some careful reading.

Also most of my books are written in the language of the day (no updated speech), so that alone slows down my reading pace. My copies of Pope's Iliad from the early 1700's (the book came in a series) requires a PHD in various fields to complete it. The books are so old I just gave up after a while

Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,820 times
Yes, Moby Dick took FOREVER to read. It needed to be read very carefully.

I think in 100 years, that people could argue Curious Case...is the best book of this era. It's just absolutely incredible.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Yes, Moby Dick took FOREVER to read. It needed to be read very carefully.

I think in 100 years, that people could argue Curious Case...is the best book of this era. It's just absolutely incredible.
Could be.

What about Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections?

I haven't read it yet, but it always gets very good reviews

Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,872,469 times
Picked up Walden, A Farewell to Arms, and Common Sense/Rights of Man today. Started with Common Sense. It would have been a much better read had I been around during Revolutionary times. Paine makes some great points about the flaws in monarchy and hereditary succession.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
I just ordered the Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-time since you all were raving about it... I'm excited to read it! Thanks!

Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 AM

914 posts, read 4,444,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I was always tempted the read The Catcher in the Rye, but the subject matter seemed a little too weird for me.
Ahaha. I don't know, I think it is more universal than you expect. You've never had a moment in life where you thought to yourself, "**********!"? I would agree is Ozgal, it is a good read. And an easy read, too.

I would recommend The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. You know, the one that had everyone up in arms over the meat industry, but really was supposed to be an expose on the working poor in the US. It is an excellent read, and also very relevant to a lot of issues we face today.

Edit mostly to be indignant about the fact that that totally wasn't a swear.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,937 times
I highly recommend Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham. Of my classics reading list, this by far has been my favorite so far.

I also really enjoyed Ethan Fromme by Edith Wharton

Old 10-23-2010, 07:00 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
I would recommend The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. You know, the one that had everyone up in arms over the meat industry, but really was supposed to be an expose on the working poor in the US. It is an excellent read, and also very relevant to a lot of issues we face today.

OMG yes! That book (up until very recently) was my all time favorite book.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
Ahaha. I don't know, I think it is more universal than you expect. You've never had a moment in life where you thought to yourself, "**********!"? I would agree is Ozgal, it is a good read. And an easy read, too.

Edit mostly to be indignant about the fact that that totally wasn't a swear.
I only learnt of this book the other day, when reading Fast Food Nation. Now on my list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books