Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
When I was a little kid, it was Louisa May Alcott's Little Women and other Alcott works.

When I was a young adult, it was Mary Stewart's Arthurian series, the Merlin Trilogy, along with The Last Enchantment. Also Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen.

Now that I am (supposedly) a grown up, right now I think my very favorite book to read and reread is The Time Traveler's Wife.

I still read all the other books (including Little Women) about once a year.
Thanks for the tip, cil! I checked out The Time Traveler's Wife at amazon.com and it has a very high rating. Here's a link for anyone else that's interested:
Amazon.com: The Time Traveler's Wife: Books: Audrey Niffenegger (http://tinyurl.com/2mgmq2 - broken link)

I went ahead and had it put on hold in my library as well as the audio version, since I'm not sure how much time I've got for reading another book right now. I just started another book and am about to get busier so the audio may wind up being the best choice.

Anyway, I just had to tell you that I did it so you'd know that your post had an affect on someone.

Gnite!

MrsG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 03:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,586 times
How to make friends and influence people

shainawilliam

Pinhole Glasses « How pinhole glasses function

Old 07-14-2007, 03:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
Thanks for the tip, cil! I checked out The Time Traveler's Wife at amazon.com and it has a very high rating. Here's a link for anyone else that's interested:
Amazon.com: The Time Traveler's Wife: Books: Audrey Niffenegger (http://tinyurl.com/2mgmq2 - broken link)

I went ahead and had it put on hold in my library as well as the audio version, since I'm not sure how much time I've got for reading another book right now. I just started another book and am about to get busier so the audio may wind up being the best choice.

Anyway, I just had to tell you that I did it so you'd know that your post had an affect on someone.
Very cool!
Yes, take your time with it. It takes a few twists and turns.
I've known a couple people who read it and really liked it, and others who read it and got bogged down with its structure and premise.
But for me, it is a modern classic.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:31 AM

103 posts, read 391,987 times
I'd like to read'Jane Eyre".It is abosolutely an excellent book!

Old 07-14-2007, 05:51 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
"A Wrinkle In Time" by Madeleine L'Engle: when I was a sixth-grader; GOT ME HOOKED ON BOOKS, taking me to another world!!! I believe it won the Newberry Award in the early 1960s for 'best children's book. It was Sci-fi, Mystery, Mysticicm, all rolled into one. A real MIND EXPANDER and heavy sh*t for a kid, adults will love this book about:
An unearthly midnight visitor takes Meg, Calvin, and Charles across the barriers of space and time to another world

You might like Dead On by Kelly Jamison/Ann Kelly
It's a paranormal murder mystery, read it in 3 days, could not put it down.

Loved Dead On
C.S. Lewis Books
Beach Music
Patricia Cornwell
Forever by Pete Hamill

Just purchased White Out and A Thousand Splendid Suns

Old 07-14-2007, 09:18 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
You might like Dead On by Kelly Jamison/Ann Kelly
It's a paranormal murder mystery, read it in 3 days, could not put it down.

Loved Dead On
C.S. Lewis Books
Beach Music
Patricia Cornwell
Forever by Pete Hamill

Just purchased White Out and A Thousand Splendid Suns
Pete Hamill is one of my favorites and a foremost authority on NY. The NYT panned Forever and I thought it fascinating. They also didn't like his new book, "North River" about a doctor who treats the indigent during the Great Depression without expecting payment. His biography, "A Drinking Man's Life" is also well written. I remember reading that he was once dated Jackie Onassis.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times
Any DH Lawrence fans out there? Sons and Lovers is probably my favorite book of all time and I've read it many times. Women In Love and The Rainbow are also up there. Something about his writing, it is just so gut wrentching and honest. I'm a Hemmingway fan as well, and Jane Austin really got me hooked on reading when I was a teenager. Her writing stand the true test of time.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:22 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Any DH Lawrence fans out there? Sons and Lovers is probably my favorite book of all time and I've read it many times. Women In Love and The Rainbow are also up there.
Sure. You know Women in Love? The character of Gerald Crich reminds me of some of the things that writers who consider themselves "Afrocentric" have said about us whites being "white devils" and "ice people." (I don't agree with them; but such people exist, it's not in their imagination) I tried to start a thread with this very theme on City-Data about 6 months ago, but no one saw it.

I also very much like some of the shorter works, The Fox and "The Blind Man" and "The Rocking Horse Winner."

Old 07-15-2007, 04:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
"The Rocking Horse Winner."
Oh, that was quite the poignant story. Not one wasted word.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:14 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times
Dedalus-interesting take on "Women In Love". Sounds like you are really on to something. I'm sorry you couldn't get your thread started rearding that. I'm going to think about that a little more...

Last edited by 2KidsforMe; 07-15-2007 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books