Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:31 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,525 times

Advertisements

Wow lots of Books listed here, is there any way we can put a ONE Line description on the Books ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
My husband is going out of the country on business and the library is closing for a week to upgrade computer systems so I have piled up on books. My list:

The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant
Subject matter should be evident.

The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli
A debut novel about the horrors of the Vietnam war. A young American woman looses her brother in the war and travels to Vietnam to photograph the destruction caused by the war. She meets and works with a former enemy soldier as the story unfolds.

Prayer for Owen Meany by Irving John
Owen Meany is a very small boy (I guess a little person) with a strange voice. He accidentally kills his best friend's mom with a baseball, and he believes he's an instrument of God's. I believe the movie Simon Birch was based off the Owen Meany character.

River Out Of Eden: A Darwinian View Of Life by Richard Dawkins
A look at evolutionary biology.

Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code: A Historian Reveals What We Really Know about Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and Constantine by Bart Ehrman
Subject matter should be evident. I'm a big fan of Ehrman's and curious about his take on this. (I really put no stock in all the conspiracy/cover-up stuff.)

Monster by Walter Dean Myers
A young adult novel about 16-year-old kid accused of fatally shooting a convenience-store owner, but his role in the incident is unclear.

Ingersoll's Greatest Lectures by Robert Ingersoll
Ingersoll was a lawyer and philosopher who lived from 1833-1899. He was a supporter of humanism, women's rights and freethought.

How to Read the Air by Dinaw Mengestu
The story of an Ethiopian couple who move to America and their son. It's a look into immigration and the American dream.

I'm also trying to finish Oliver Twist. Hopefully I'll get a lot read while I'm home alone.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 AM

110 posts, read 261,641 times
Default My Current List

Angela's Ashes by Alan Parker - A childhood memoir about growing up in Brooklyn and Ireland

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton - A coming-of-age novel that details a rivalry between members of two different socioeconomic groups

Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza - A true story of survival and finding faith during the Rwandan genocide

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet - A historical fiction novel set during the 12th century about the building of a cathedral

The Road by Cormac McCarthy - A post-apocalyptic novel following the journey of a father and his son

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb - A fictional account of identical twins, one of whom suffers from schizophrenia

Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner - Economics claim to reveal the "hidden side of everything"

The Long Walk by Richard Bachman (pen name for Stephen King) - A dark novel about a deadly walking contest

Life of Pi by Yann Martel - A boy contemplates spirituality while being shipwrecked with a tiger

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins - This sequel to Hex Hall follows a teenager with supernatural powers

Still Alice by Lisa Genova - A novel about a woman suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell - A novel about a woman who was institutionalized at age 16 being released 61 years later

Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie85 View Post
Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner - Economics claim to reveal the "hidden side of everything"
A lot of your books are on my long, long list, Brie. Last summer hubby and I read Freakonomics, and it provided lots of topics for interesting conversations. We both really liked it.

My to read list is still insanely long. On my nightstand right now:

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller - indescribable, satirical classic
Angelina by Andrew Morton - unauthorized bio of Angelina Jolie
Ungodly: the passions, torments, and murder of atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair by Ted Dracos - bio of Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Reading Lolita in Tehran: a memoir in books by Azar Nafisi - true story of a teacher hosting banned book readings in her home in Tehran.

I'm way behind on my reading because we're preparing to move. By the time I'm done for the day, I just want to sleep. Soon the house will be on the market and I'll have more time for books.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:08 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,537 times
The Pale King, David Foster Wallace
Freedom, Jonathan Franzen
War and Peace, Lev Tolstoy (the new Pevear et al translation)

Old 04-12-2011, 04:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie85 View Post
Angela's Ashes by Alan Parker - A childhood memoir about growing up in Brooklyn and Ireland
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a novel by Frank McCourt (who died recently btw). Anyhow I read it a few years back and it's breathtaking and incredibly sad and sometimes even cruel.

At the moment I'm reading Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom". It resembles a lot to his 1st bestseller "The Coreections", but I loved that one too so I don't care.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:30 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Here are the books that are sitting in my night table, waiting to be devoured after I finish Beautiful Boy by David Sheff.

I can't start a big, heavy (as in weight) one next because I'll be lugging it on a plane next weekend.

Which one's next? Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.
  • The New Yorker Stories by Ann Beattie.
  • House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
  • Never Let Me Go by by Kazuo Ishiguro
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
  • Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • Alison Wonderland by Helen Smith. I bought this book simply because I loved the title, and I sent a copy to my friend Allison whose creative world amazes me.
  • Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. This one is weighty. I dread holding it on a plane.
  • A Death in the Family by James Agee
  • The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover
  • The Magicians by Lev Grossman
  • The Story of My Life by Helen Keller
  • And two that I know that I'll probably keep putting off because I find this sort of writing difficult: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Aaaaah. It feels good to have so many books to choose from. And I have more unread ones that I haven't unpacked yet. Heavenly...

Last edited by DawnMTL; 09-13-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I loved the movie but have never read To Kill a Mockingbird. I really need to read the book.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:08 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I loved the movie but have never read To Kill a Mockingbird. I really need to read the book.
Depending on where you live, if you have the Goodwill thrift stores, I keep seeing multiple copies of that book there. For $1, paperback.That book is also the first one I had to read in junior high school so I picked up a copy to re-read again to see if it has the same impact as way back then.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
whirlwind, clavell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books