U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:06 PM

11,993 posts, read 10,095,655 times
Default You can now lend Kindle books!

A friend of mine just sent me this link.

Great news for Kindle users who want to share their books, but we aware of the funky terms.

Lending Kindle Books is Now Available! ~ Pixel of Ink
Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:43 PM

3,818 posts, read 6,926,101 times
Mmmmm, sort of. Only in the US (dunno about Canada yet), and only with the publisher's permission. It may be that it'll take the permissions a bit to update, but right now I can't find a single book in my list of about 700 that has the permission set to lend.

I'm not sure why a publisher would go for this - a friend with a Nook tells me it has the same problem - you have the ability to lend books to friends but there aren't many for which you have the permission to do so.

The nice thing about the Kindle lend program is that you can lend books to friends who don't even have Kindles - they just have to either have the app for their smartphone (iPhone, Android, Blackberry) or download the Kindle app for PC/Mac and read on their laptop or desktop.

All assuming there will be something TO lend, of course.

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:44 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,184,594 times
It's been a long time coming. Hopefully, they'll expand it to outside the US, and more publishers will join. Seems now that they are pretty few and far between.

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:47 PM

11,993 posts, read 10,095,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Mmmmm, sort of. Only in the US (dunno about Canada yet), and only with the publisher's permission. It may be that it'll take the permissions a bit to update, but right now I can't find a single book in my list of about 700 that has the permission set to lend.

I'm not sure why a publisher would go for this - a friend with a Nook tells me it has the same problem - you have the ability to lend books to friends but there aren't many for which you have the permission to do so.

The nice thing about the Kindle lend program is that you can lend books to friends who don't even have Kindles - they just have to either have the app for their smartphone (iPhone, Android, Blackberry) or download the Kindle app for PC/Mac and read on their laptop or desktop.

All assuming there will be something TO lend, of course.
Yeah, that's what I meant by funky terms.

I'm not sure why my friend sent me the link. I returned my Kindle less than 24 hours after getting it -- I didn't enjoy it like I do a paper book.

Hopefully the lending program will expand, though, to make it easier for you Kindle lovers.

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:52 PM

293 posts, read 904,026 times
Is the definition of a person outside the US referring to someone who is REGISTERED as a user outside the US or someone that happens to be physically located outside the US? Anyone know?

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:55 PM

3,818 posts, read 6,926,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Is the definition of a person outside the US referring to someone who is REGISTERED as a user outside the US or someone that happens to be physically located outside the US? Anyone know?
It's more complicated than that. Right now, only a person who is a US resident can lend a book, BUT you can lend to someone in another country provided that the book is available in that country in that version AND is approved for lending.

Unread 12-30-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm not sure why my friend sent me the link. I returned my Kindle less than 24 hours after getting it -- I didn't enjoy it like I do a paper book.
I got my Kindle as a surprise gift and was quite underwhelmed at first. Though, for me, it's terrific, as I enjoy the "hunt" for free or cheap books and I am reading more now than I ever did before.

Now, all my mom needs is her own Kindle, so I can lend her some of the books that I've found. (I don't see her reading on the PC.)

Unread 12-31-2010, 03:37 AM

4,968 posts, read 5,488,251 times
There's a Goodreads group set up Kindle Lending: Kindle Lending

Unread 01-01-2011, 10:25 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,852,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I got my Kindle as a surprise gift and was quite underwhelmed at first. Though, for me, it's terrific, as I enjoy the "hunt" for free or cheap books and I am reading more now than I ever did before.

Now, all my mom needs is her own Kindle, so I can lend her some of the books that I've found. (I don't see her reading on the PC.)
Mishigas:
Mine was a gift also .. my daughter bought me a Kindle WiFi (not the 3G model) for Christmas through her own Amazon account. I also have an Amazon account, but cannot register the Kindle for some reason, it won't recognize my email address. I can access my Amazon account online just fine. She is out of town and won't be home until next week now and I want to register it, or might even get the upgrade model to the 3G.

I looked at the Nook Color the other day and really liked it because it does not have a keyboard; but it is $249 and I'd pay the difference on either the 3G Kindle or the Nook Color. But cannot do so at this point need to make a decision until I know why I can't register the one I have. (I am not a Kindle geek, obviously, it was a nice surprise gift, I never researched them.) Since I travel a lot, I don't want to schlep around hard copy books anymore. This eBook will be great for me.

Any advice as to Kindle 3G vs. WiFi only, and/or Nook Color ? and how do I register it? I don't want mine to be outdated soon which I have a feeling will happen. thanks ! (sorry to cross post this, but I need the advice soon in case I decide not to keep this one).

Unread 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM

QuilterChick: If you go to settings, you can "de-register" it from her account. Once you do that, you should be able to register it to your account without a hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books