Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:14 PM

191 posts, read 946,168 times

Advertisements

I love to read! I don't think reading is dead! Check out all the new excitement surrounding e-readers! I don't really like e-readers myself since I still like holding the physical book and having it on my shelf, but e-readers are bringing reading to a larger audience including people who have trouble reading small type and people on the go a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:59 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,906 times
That's why I don't necessarily believe the idea of the story is dead, but rather the way it is delivered might be going the way of the dodo.
I am a traditionalist in my heart, I truly love my pages.
However the fact that more people could be reading fascinates me. Even if it's on a screen vs. on a page.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:53 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsaroad View Post
... e-readers are bringing reading to ... people who have trouble reading small type and people on the go a lot.
I've given away over 3 tons of books from my house to thrift stores. I love a book but, I now need glasses most of the time and bright light to read. Also, I've got bookmarks in dozens of books I'm in the middle of. E-books allows me to have all of my books marked, large print, and lighted in a small case. I think book reading is alive and well, but paper books will be put on the shelf with VHS tapes.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
I agree with that. I like the feeling of turning a page in my hands. Sitting down with a laptop is not the same, and reading a 3" screen on the ole blackberry is no fun after awhile..
I agree, I like the feel of a solid book in my hands. But I did discover on my new phone with full internet my favorite story site is accessable. I was able to read a story on my screen on the phone quite well. Makes me think I should give consideration to cell reception while traveling by train now. I love bringing books, but when you've got clothes, pillow, blanket, slippers (for changing into at your seat), food, coat, laptop and periferals and books and notebooks, I do have to consider how much weight and bulk I'm hauling around when I change trains.

Nothing beats easing oneself into bed, piling up pillows and having the dog and cat postion themselves so your stuck, then reading before sleep. Problem is sometimes I end up reading until I run out of book. But the mind play is something only one who has learned to read and imagine can understand.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
I didn't think, from the OP, that the issue was paper book versus e-book, but rather reading versus watching TV. (We already have a few paper book versus e-book threads here anyway. )

Personally, I'd rather read than watch TV, so for me, the book will never die.

When I first got married, my husband wasn't a big reader. He didn't love TV either, but he'd be on his computer or playing guitar or doing something else. I didn't mind, but I pushed a few books his way, saying "I think you'd enjoy this" or "This was really thought-provoking; you might want to read it." You know what? He's a big-time reader now. He always has a book that he's in the midst of and I love it!

Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I agree, I like the feel of a solid book in my hands. But I did discover on my new phone with full internet my favorite story site is accessable. I was able to read a story on my screen on the phone quite well. Makes me think I should give consideration to cell reception while traveling by train now. I love bringing books, but when you've got clothes, pillow, blanket, slippers (for changing into at your seat), food, coat, laptop and periferals and books and notebooks, I do have to consider how much weight and bulk I'm hauling around when I change trains.

Nothing beats easing oneself into bed, piling up pillows and having the dog and cat postion themselves so your stuck, then reading before sleep. Problem is sometimes I end up reading until I run out of book. But the mind play is something only one who has learned to read and imagine can understand.
LOL I aways read before sleep and I'm glad I'm not the only one that suddenly realises it's dawn

Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,932 times
I have actually rediscovered the joy of reading a good book thanks to my Kindle. I have a soft spot for gadgets and since buying the Kindle mid last year, I've been churning through books. Also it helps in that they are less expensive.

I do not have much intention of buying hardback or paperbacks though - happy to support the new format and keep reading

Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I didn't think, from the OP, that the issue was paper book versus e-book, but rather reading versus watching TV. (We already have a few paper book versus e-book threads here anyway. )

Personally, I'd rather read than watch TV, so for me, the book will never die.

When I first got married, my husband wasn't a big reader. He didn't love TV either, but he'd be on his computer or playing guitar or doing something else. I didn't mind, but I pushed a few books his way, saying "I think you'd enjoy this" or "This was really thought-provoking; you might want to read it." You know what? He's a big-time reader now. He always has a book that he's in the midst of and I love it!
That's awesome!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
I have been wondering this for some time. I am the only one both in my circle of friends and my family that reads. Almost all my family watches TV religiously, whereas I find pleasure in a good read (although I do occasionally watch TV). Trying to get them to read a book is like pulling teeth. I've bought novels for my mom that I thought she would like, and two years later they are still sitting on the same shelf I put them down on. I've tried to give her books, and they just sit there collecting dust. As for my friends, they know more about whatever is popular on TV, yet some have not picked up a book since high school ( and even then, some of them didn't read. How they passed is beyond me...)
Is there anything you do to try and convince others to read more? Buy them books? I hate trying to do that, it feels like I'm trying to push something on them.

What I am wondering: Is the book dying..? People that read books, love books. Can reading be saved?

I'm not trying to create a TV vs. book thread, because lord knows I do have a couple favourite shows I like to catch from time to time.
I just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are on the subject.

Opinions?
No the book is not dead.

I think it will always appeal to certain people for their entire life. I know most people pick up a book and read it and will be fine without reading another book for a year. I'd freak if I didn't have my next book ready to go.

I read to my nephews all the time. It is the one present they get nearly every time I see them: books. IMO, you got to get em when they're young

Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
My amount of reading has more than doubled since the quality of TV had gone so far down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books