Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:08 PM

233 posts, read 685,593 times

Advertisements

Ishmael - Daniel Quinn
Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace (gargantuan, genius)
Swan Song - Robert McCammon
Black Creek Crossing - John Saul
Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris
Beloved - Toni Morrison
L'etranger (The Stranger) - Albert Camus
The Philosophy of Physical Science - Eddington
Blood Meridian
It - Stephen King
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,176 times
I think I would go way back in time (early 60's in Brooklyn, NY) and find a book similiar to the one that was read to me once a week which I never missed. It was these sessions that started my great love affair with books. To that end, I think I would look to bring along with me:

(1) A Treasury of Children's Literature (including the works of The Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, Clement Moore, Louis Carroll, John Barrie, etc.).

Following that, I might go a little dark with:

(2) I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb
(3) The World According to Garp by John Updike

I'm going to need a good review of my historical novels before I can decide in there. I know that Ayn Rand will make an appearance on my list but not yet in what form.

It's truly amazing when you need to cull the list down to such a small number while your mind battles on to ensure that all the wonderful books that have shaped you and have made you question your own truths fight to be heard. Reading is truly a gift from God.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 AM

61 posts, read 66,456 times
My ten books?

Quote:
Amplified Bible (AB) - first published in 1958, it is the fruit of tens of thousands of hours of research by Dr. Frances Siewert. Beginning with the very literal American Standard Bible, she adds additional words in brackets that help provide understanding of the meaning of the original language. This has become a very popular "second Bible" for Bible study. It is published by Zondervan.

Contemporary English Version Bible (CEV), is a completely new translation published by the American Bible Society in 1995. Originally intended as a children's translation, it uses a very simple, contemporary style. It is independent of traditional translations and freer of "biblical" terms. This is an especially good translation for people who speak English as a second language.

English Standard Version Bible (ESV), an "essentially new literal translation," follows the tradition of the King James, American Standard Version, and Revised Standard Version. Published in 2001 by Crossway, it was developed by a translation team of more than 100 scholars, with the goal of being very accurate (word for word), and yet very readable. It has become quite popular, as it is more readable than other literal translations.

Good News Bible (Today's English Version) (TEV), completed in 1976, was translated by Robert G. Bratcher with six other scholars. This very free, though very accurate, translation avoids the use of traditional biblical vocabulary and communicates especially well with youth and the unchurched. Also published by the American Bible Society.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) is another new word-for-word translation that strives to be both literally accurate and readable. It is not as literal as the ESV or NASB, but is more so than the NIV. The Holman, published by Broadman & Holman in 2003, is the product of nearly 100 scholars.

The Living Bible (LB), completed in 1971, is Kenneth N. Taylor's paraphrase of the American Standard Version. Easy to read and once immensely popular, it is often criticized for adding too much commentary to the biblical text. It is published by Tyndale House.

The Message (Msg) - Eugene Peterson completed this paraphrase of the entire Bible in 2002. Peterson takes great liberties with words in his attempt to effectively communicate both the original thoughts and tone of the Scripture. The result is a very earthy, informal language. Published by NavPress.

New American Bible (NAB) - a Catholic translation, the work of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, and first published in 1970. It is the version used in the American Catholic lectionary. In 2011 a Revised Edition is being published. The NAB is a more literal translation, especially the 1986 revision of the New Testament.

New American Standard Bible (NASB) - completed in 1971, was produced by 54 conservative Protestant scholars sponsored by the Lockman Foundation. This version is very literal in vocabulary and word order, although the resulting English is quite wooden. It often is preferred by those who want an English version that reflects the grammar of the original. An Update was published in 1995 which seeks to use more modern English while preserving the literal nature of the translation.

New International Version Bible (NIV), completed in 1978, was the product of 115 evangelical scholars. Within a decade it became the best-selling English version, a position it still holds! It combines contemporary, literary English with traditional biblical vocabulary. The NIV is copyrighted by the Biblica (formerly International Bible Society). NOTE: A major revision of the NIV was released in early 2011. While it only changes about 5% of the text of the last edition (1984), the changes are significant, and it almost reads like a new translation.

NEW King James Version Bible(NKJV), released in 1982, involved 119 contributors. It updates the vocabulary and grammar of the King James Version, while preserving the classic style and beauty. Although it uses the same Hebrew and Greek texts as the original, it indicates where other manuscripts differ. Published by Thomas Nelson.

New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) of 1985 revised and updated the text and notes of the Jerusalem Bible of 1966. That version, based on a French translation, was an elegant, literary rendering (perhaps the most poetic since the KJV). The JB and NJB were projects of Roman Catholic scholars, and the notes reflect a modern, liberal perspective.
Can't never have enough Bible I always say.

Also, probably a gun book. and a whittling book or something.
Never di

Last edited by KeepTheDog; 03-19-2011 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books