Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:51 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,432,435 times

Advertisements

Well, it's gotta be Salem, Mass, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,297,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Well, it's gotta be Salem, Mass, doesn't it?
I think Salem is a bit too obvious. plus, I don't remember it being a town w/ a lot of space. Hogwarts is in the middle of nowhere w/ plenty of space for quidditch and magical beasts. but then again, if JKR says Salem, MA, who am I to argue w/ her?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 794 times
It would definately be in salem massachusetts, think about it, Im pretty sure the whole country of England has been mapped out. This fact leads me to believe that there is some force keeping the muggles from seeing hogwarts, like the quidditch world cup, soo i don't believe the seclusion of the school plays the biggest part. I believe that if there were to be an American Hogwarts it would most likely be in some mountainous area near historic massachusetts, or salem. And another fact, who remembers the salem witch trials =D i feel like there should be some correlation between that event in history and the witches and wizards possibly creating an American wizarding school. The reason that i feel this way over the location stated by lovethewest in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, or Idaho. Oh, is that people came to America (the colonies) almost over 250 before the American southwest was established. Im gonna assume that these wizards and witches didnt wait 250 years so that the American Southwest was established so they could create a wizarding school. However, i do believe they eventually could have founded one in that area because the American population is just massive, so there would probably need to be another school. Atmosphere is totally key in where the campus should be though, think of hogwarts, its rested beautifully in between the mountains. When i think of an american wizarding school campus in salem i think of a school rested on a rocky shoreline for some reason, which does go against my previous statement of where it should be near salem. I must say though, i unfortunately havent read all of the books yet im on number 5 now, i started in may of 2011 and they are simply fantastic. what a beautiful mind JK Rowling has, full of creation, it inspires me to create myself, like my beliefs in an amercian wizarding school

Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 AM

22,850 posts, read 28,094,569 times
Salem is too obvious --- and too silly.

Thinking of Salem as the "witchcraft & wizardry capital" would be like thinking of Graceland as the capital of Christianity or San Francisco as the capital of Buddhism.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 PM

560 posts, read 845,583 times
I read this whole thread and have to say I feel the the loss of Jason's imaginititve input is a bit of a tragedy. He startteted to build a whole new story line for us, and I found it quite readable for a quick forum posting. I see he hasn't been on forum for a long time however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books