Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:57 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What are you doing to your books that they only last three years?.....
I stopped buying paperback mass market books a few years ago; unless forced in order to read an out of Print volume of an author's series of books. (i.e. Elis Peters) The damage is done by the paper these mass marketed books are printed on. High Acid content paper that yellows and becomes brittle with age. Fast deterioration all on its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 04:50 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Personally, I am a big fan of Powell's Books in Portland, but since I live in Alaska, locally, my favorite is Title Wave Books in Anchorage. On line, it would be ABEBooks, and for ebooks I go to Amazon. For Science Fiction, I go to Baen Webscriptions (I can't wait for the price to drop for a paperback and the advanced reader copies are available months before the hard cover anyway).

Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Books-A-Million. They're a bit more low-end than Barnes and Noble.

Hastings was a great place that rented movies, sold movies, sold games, sold cds, and sold books. You could get a 10% discount on face value of any book, and if you rented a game and then bought it I heard the amount paid renting it would be deducted from the purchase price.

Good riddance to Borders. They never opened a store near me.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:24 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Have you been to one of their retail outlets? Are they focused on Hardcovers?, mass market?, what is their hook to draw customers.

I live in the PNW, and never heard of this franchise outfit. But they could be very popular elsewhere.
They sell books. They're more focused in the South. If they had any hook it would be that they were willing to go into Southern markets that Barnes and Noble and especially Borders wouldn't open stores in initially. They grew out of a newspaper stand in Florence, AL in the early 20th Century. In the 80s and early 90s they operated Bookland bookstores in malls, and when the megastores came in they transitioned over to that.

They seem to be a little cheaper in furnishings than Barnes and Noble and sell a bit more non-book stuff (though since you're assaulted with the Nook whenever you go into Barnes and Noble it's a toss up on non-book merchandise now, of course BAM has started selling the Nook now too but they're not as in your face about it since they're Nook kiosks aren't manned), but other than that they're the same store more or less.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Books-A-Million. They're a bit more low-end than Barnes and Noble.

Hastings was a great place that rented movies, sold movies, sold games, sold cds, and sold books. You could get a 10% discount on face value of any book, and if you rented a game and then bought it I heard the amount paid renting it would be deducted from the purchase price.

Good riddance to Borders. They never opened a store near me.
Hastings must still be buying used cds, dvds and books through their B&M stores as their gohastings store on Amazon does a roaring business.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Quote:
....{Books-A-Million} They're more focused in the South. If they had any hook it would be that they were willing to go into Southern markets that Barnes and Noble and especially Borders wouldn't open stores in initially. They grew out of a newspaper stand in Florence, AL in the early 20th Century. In the 80s and early 90s they operated Bookland bookstores in malls, and when the megastores came in they transitioned over to that......
I thought it might be something like that. As I said, I had never heard of them.

As I live in Portland, Ore, we have a local phenomenon by the name of Powell's books, which is basically 3 stories of a entire downtown city block that is a new and used books store, focused on hardcover books, and quality paper trade books. The point is, of course, the 9 months of rainy season winter weather that is the Pacific North West (but very little snow) From late October to about the 4th of July, when our summer starts. The gray, overcast, damp, modestly cold weather is very conducive to reading. (Trust me there is a reason that Starbucks, Amazon, Powell's, and such all come from the PNW.) Google: S.A.D.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 PM

306 posts, read 451,468 times
Quote:
They sell books. They're more focused in the South. If they had any hook it would be that they were willing to go into Southern markets that Barnes and Noble and especially Borders wouldn't open stores in initially. They grew out of a newspaper stand in Florence, AL in the early 20th Century. In the 80s and early 90s they operated Bookland bookstores in malls, and when the megastores came in they transitioned over to that.

They seem to be a little cheaper in furnishings than Barnes and Noble and sell a bit more non-book stuff (though since you're assaulted with the Nook whenever you go into Barnes and Noble it's a toss up on non-book merchandise now, of course BAM has started selling the Nook now too but they're not as in your face about it since they're Nook kiosks aren't manned), but other than that they're the same store more or less.
I agree with most of what you said (thanks for answering philwithbeard's question). The store that I visited was in Central Florida, and it was kind of modest in size, probably because it was located in a mall.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 PM

289 posts, read 569,640 times
Well in Jackson I can tell you it's Books-A-Million because that's the ONLY new bookstore we have. There are 3 or 4 used book stores but if you want a new book you have to go to Books-a-Million, wal-mart. k-mart, or target. We did have bookland & davis kidds booksellers but now it's just books-a-million.

But on the internet there's always barnes & noble, amazon, & my fave ebay.

That being said, I favor goodwill & yard sales over new book stores.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I live in a small town that has a Borders Express, which is pretty much useless for anything other than the "top 40" of the book world and a single used book store - hence I use Amazon (for ebooks and their private-seller used books and the occasional new book), Powell's (on-line when I'm at home, in person when I'm in Portland) and Alibris for out-of-print books.

Our local used book store is the only book store for about a 100 mile radius and they know it - I've seen books priced almost as high as they were when new. When we first moved here I was willing to put up with that because they are a local business BUT they also are pretty unpleasant about browsing and reading. They also have 3 resident cats and I am allergic to cats, meaning I can take about 20-30 minutes in there before my nose stuffs up, my eyes start to water and my skin starts itching.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:04 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
I hope our Borders doesn't close as it's the only thing like it here. It has the cafe and also sells music. One of my favorite on line book sites is Alibris. You can get out of print an many other hard to find books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books