Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I am asking this because I am trying to read an old book of James Patterson, who writes thrillers/horror. This one seems to be a dud so far: "Black Friday." From 1986. First published as "Black Market."
I am going into Chapter 14(they are short chapters) but by now most of his books should have gotten my attention in a good way. Usually by the first or second page. I guess some of his earlier works aren't the best...

How many chapters will you suffer through to try to get into a book before you toss it? Or do you just keep reading in hopes it will get better?
I have read almost everything by James Michener. I liked all of his novels but two or three of them were difficult reading for the first couple hundred pages (The Source & Hawaii) but worth it.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 01:46 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
How many chapters will you suffer through to try to get into a book before you toss it? Or do you just keep reading in hopes it will get better?
If the book is truly terrible, I mean just painful to read, I usually drop it after 5-10 pages.

If the book is just sorta so-so, not holding my attention but not truly awful, I try to give it 100 pages, because I have read books where I thought the first 100 pages or so was a total snooze, but after that they became great. Stephen King's Bag of Bones comes to mind in that regard.

If it is a James Patterson book, I usually leave it on the shelf to begin with.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I have read almost everything by James Michener. I liked all of his novels but two or three of them were difficult reading for the first couple hundred pages (The Source & Hawaii) but worth it.

GL2
I read James Michener's books years ago. I have always liked most of James Pattersons books, and since Black Friday is an early one, it could be he didn't get into his mojo yet.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:14 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Usually I can scan a bit before even taking on a book and get a picture of the style and mileu of a book. I eliminate a lot of bummers that way. It is amazing how much junk gets published. But even some good stuff just isn't my cup of tea---fantasy for instance.

When reading a new author I will drop it pretty fast if it isn't keeping me page turning and the characters and dialogue are trite. (The blonde shapely head-turning heroine, the male figure who went to Harvard, served in the Marines, flies his own plane, works for the CIA, and overpowers the room--yuck! I want characters who struggle with being less than perfect.) This can be determined in the first two chapters.

But when I am reading an author I have emjoyed in the past, I tend to give him way too much time and slough on for chapter after chapter until about half-way through. I don't recommend this--I think when you put it down and don't feel eager to pick it up that is a sign right there--I am going to try to follow that for myself--as someone said, there is too much worthwhile to read to waste time on the crap filling the shelves.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
It's totally dependent on whether the book is a junky bestseller or respected literature.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:39 PM

43 posts, read 62,521 times
Quote:
I read James Michener's books years ago. I have always liked most of James Pattersons books, and since Black Friday is an early one, it could be he didn't get into his mojo yet.
I loved every one of Michener's books, but I knew going in that I was going to get the complete history of say, Hawaii, and I was fine with it. I can't even imagine the time that went into researching his books.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:07 PM

43 posts, read 62,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I used to be like this. If I bought the book, I read the book, no matter what, dammit!

Perhaps, like me, you're curious as to how it ends so you take a deep breath and keep on keepin' on.

I solved that problem, though. I'm still curious but, if the book is more effort than enjoyment, I just read the last two pages. Even if it doesn't "solve the mystery," it ruins the book completely. At that point, it's easy to just toss aside.
That's it, exactly! I am curious about the end and I do hope it'll get better. I always believed it was cheating to peek at the end, but hey, I'm the only one that'll know. And I'm not telling! So if I'm that curious and still don't want to finish it I will now skip to the end. Sorry Sister Bernadette. (Freshman English teacher!)

Old 05-21-2011, 07:27 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
I am asking this because I am trying to read an old book of James Patterson, who writes thrillers/horror. This one seems to be a dud so far: "Black Friday." From 1986. First published as "Black Market."
I am going into Chapter 14(they are short chapters) but by now most of his books should have gotten my attention in a good way. Usually by the first or second page. I guess some of his earlier works aren't the best...

Not more than two or three chapters usually. Funny story. I have a friend who kept telling me I HAD to read Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsovler. I like Kingsolver so I tried, I really tried, but it was so dull I couldn't get through more than a few chapters after the Prologue.

A few years later she again brought up Poisonwood Bible and insisted if I kept at it I would love it so I tried again. Honestly, just thinking about the book made my eyes roll in my head, but I tried, and again could not get past the first fourth of the book. She kept saying "But the last third of the book is so good" but I just couldn't get through it. The book is about 1200 pages long so am I going to read 800 pages of mind numbing tediousness to get 400 of so good?

Then a few years later another friend of mine, a man this time e mailed me that he was reading Poisonwood Bible and he was enjoying it so much he wanted me to read it too, so we would be reading it together, we often do this. I had a chuckle, but thought oh what the heck and tried again. Same thing happened, my brain went numb with boredom by the third chapter. LOL!

There are so many books, life is just too short to struggle through something you don't like, when reading for pleasure.

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-21-2011 at 07:45 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 05:30 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laplante View Post
I'm like you, even until now, except that for me it's not about pride. I can't quite pinpoint what it is that makes me suffer til the end, but I always finish what I started. It's become a habit now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by altadena View Post
That's it, exactly! I am curious about the end and I do hope it'll get better. I always believed it was cheating to peek at the end, but hey, I'm the only one that'll know. And I'm not telling! So if I'm that curious and still don't want to finish it I will now skip to the end. Sorry Sister Bernadette. (Freshman English teacher!)
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! I keep plugging, hoping that it will get better. Then, I get to the end and ask myself why I wasted all that time reading such drivel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books