Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 04:02 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times

Advertisements

I have read Eugenia Price, fwiw. The type of book I am looking for would not be her style.

It would have to have been written by a mystery writer.

Topic: Harrington Hall/St. Simons Island/Revolutionary War, I would guess.

-Harrington Hall/owned by Capt. Raymond Demere/French, fought for the British
St. Simons Island Markers - The Historical Marker Database

I checked into this a bit. There is a Harrington Hall in Ireland--who knows---an Irish/English person owned that. Harrington Hall Hotel is somewhere around London, leading me to believe that such a book exists.

A fine tale if the book has been written.

I can't find such a book I know that.

Any thoughts
Key words to search would help. If it has not been written then I suppose I could write it--that will be 'a while'.

eTA: no doubt these are the people who would know--on the other side of the world from me in metro aTL and i cannot contact them -something, something not installed on my computer.

Murder Goes South>>>
http://www.murdergoessouth.com/contactus.htm

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-11-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 06:29 PM

i guess i can try this>>>

Books Historical Fiction - Borders - Books, Music and Movies

i refuse to get in the car and search down a 'Mystery Book Shop' in Atlanta--if there is one --it will be far away from me.

Here's one--what it would take to drive to it --just not worth it.

http://www.acappellabooks.com/

Possibly, i could go to this one>>>
http://www.eagleeyebooks.com/

If I go and they don't know --then I will know I should thoroughly research this topic and start writing. Definitely a good story to tell. I intend to be a storyteller---you have to be skilled with audio equipment and i will have to learn all of that. Might as well---why not?
St.Simon's/Golden Isles absolutely fascinating---i should be living there right now.
The beach, the ocean --writers like that.

eta: This is probably the best place for me to go--and ask a question. You have to know where to go here---if you want to get what you want. It is something.
http://www.blueelephantbookshop.com/about/1-about-us/2-about-blue-elephant-book-shop (broken link)

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-11-2011 at 06:41 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Anne Rivers Siddons - especially Foxe's Earth.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Anne Rivers Siddons - especially Foxe's Earth.
I've read most of hers--enjoy her. I've read a lot of Southern authors--Pat Conroy--'The Prince of Tides'--i think i read that one straight through. Suspenseful, every single page just couldn't be missed.

~~~
William Diehl--Sharky's Machine is one Atlanta author. ?In the late 70's/early 80's he married a TV newswoman Virginia Gunn and they moved to St. Simon's. It was quite the news story at the time---IIRC, I was enthralled by TV sitcoms featuring life in a newsroom. 'Lou Grant', Murphy Brown--who knows.
~~~~

This Harrington Hall interests me---my family used to go to St. Simon's and it is home to many authors.

If I were to attempt a story about Harrington Hall --it would be more factual. I would of course include the 'spooky, scary, inexplicable' parts of the culture. I love that. I taught elementary Language Arts/Middle school lang arts and social science. Cultures fascinate me.

So many people have explained all of this so well that the general idea can't be explained more thoroughly.

To go back to ?somewhere in the British Isles and discover who the Harrington's were is intriguing. I knew an exceptionally fine minister with this name. England, Scotland, Ireland--swirled together somehow and landed in the US--in 1732 in GA. This fascinates me. It is strange to me that there is no wikipedia reference that would quickly explain the whole story. I have to know. Someone else might want to know---lol. Anyone who knows should tell --as clearly as they can.

I am like that---no one has yet adequately diagnosed the causes or been able to discover a treatment plan. lol
Whatever it is that you can do--then you must do it. IIRC, Eleanor Roosevelt said that---and thousands of others have said.

~~~

They really love to write in this area--Brunswick. A quaint, charming town--with a dock to watch the sun set.

If I could be anywhere--that is where I would be. Blue crabs, oysters and a glass of wine. The marshes. It is very nurturing for the creative.

I'll find it and let everyone know. lol --a great book---I am compelled to share.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-11-2011 at 10:55 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 11:16 PM

11 posts, read 10,658 times
If you are looking for historical fiction then you should try Angel and Demon and The Da Vinchi Code.Both the books are amazing.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:29 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1987 View Post
If you are looking for historical fiction then you should try Angel and Demon and The Da Vinchi Code.Both the books are amazing.
I love Dan Brown but his novels are not actually historical fiction and they certainly don't take place in the south! Dan Brown's novels take place in modern day times and while they do involve historical elements, historical fiction is defined by a plot that takes place in a historical time period.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I love Dan Brown but his novels are not actually historical fiction and they certainly don't take place in the south! Dan Brown's novels take place in modern day times and while they do involve historical elements, historical fiction is defined by a plot that takes place in a historical time period.
another day---i have some idea of what i can do this weekend--possible to get up to Decatur to visit the Blue Elephant.

What i will read in the meantime---

'The Ghost'-- Robert Harris---Tony Blair--fiction

The Stars Compel --Michaela Roessner--Florence, Italy--the family of chefs of the de ' Medicici family-

I am certain to enjoy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books