Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 08:07 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times

Advertisements

I always need a quick "fluff" nonsense book to read in between really good books. I just finished all the comics from The Walking Dead and before starting another book that looks really good, I read If you find me from my oldest's book collection. It's a teen book but it was surprisingly an engaging read. It's a bit graphic for younger tweens but pretty good. I look forward in discussing with my kid when she finishes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:16 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It's YA -- not a category that I typically gravitate to -- but it's supposed to be fabulous (and terribly sad, too). Hmmm, the other YA book that I can remember loving -- The Book Thief -- was also incredibly sad. I somehow think that this book, like The Book Thief, spans age groups easily.
I bought this one back in August at the recommendation of my niece. I started it but I keep getting library books coming up on my hold list so it got pushed aside. Now I want to pick it up again but I have 3 library books to read that are due the end of the month. I guess it'll have to wait just a little longer.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It's YA -- not a category that I typically gravitate to -- but it's supposed to be fabulous (and terribly sad, too). Hmmm, the other YA book that I can remember loving -- The Book Thief -- was also incredibly sad. I somehow think that this book, like The Book Thief, spans age groups easily.
Quote:
70% in already. What a story. Full of such clever wit... and sadness. I can't read anymore tonight. I'll surely finish it tomorrow and cry like a baby.
I just finished it. It's not as deep as The Book Thief, although it does give you plenty to think about. It's more YA than The Book Thief, too, in that Green always knew to stay within some boundaries when talking to his intended audience about death. It's a damn fine book, that I highly recommend.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
OK, I have now read about 60 pages of "Wolf Hall", and I'm going to go way out on a limb. I haven't read a writer like Hillary Mantel since (are you ready?) Tolstoy. The sheer depth and enormity of what is in her mind, as the author of this work, brings to mind Anna Karenina.

If someone had handed me a huge volume, in which chapters of Wolf Hall and Anna Karenina alternated, as though they would all be tied together in the end, it would never occur to me that they were written by different authors and someone was pulling my leg.

I won't finish Wolf Hall now, it's too long and needs to be savored, and is due back at the library in a week. But I'll buy my own copy of it, and keep it next to my Anna Karenina, and from time time read a few pages of one or the other.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:17 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times
Wow, I've never even attempted to read Tolstoy. But since you posted this, I might have to try him out. I guess I've heard so many people groaning over the years about the Russian novelists being so dense and hard to get through. It never dawned on me they may actually be complaining about stuff I like!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Wow, I've never even attempted to read Tolstoy. But since you posted this, I might have to try him out. I guess I've heard so many people groaning over the years about the Russian novelists being so dense and hard to get through. It never dawned on me they may actually be complaining about stuff I like!
The translator can make a lot of difference. My Karenina is the Rosemary Edmonds translation.

I loved Sigrid Undset when I read her a long time ago, but I recently picked up a copy, and there is a new translation which reads like a modern nurse-novel, which didn't capture the feeling of the thing at all. I compared a few sentences in the two translations, and the difference would be hilarious if it were not so sad. Written for the kind of readers who speed-read "The Far Pavilions" or something. Makes me think that a translation is often not "true" to the style of the original author, but is re-written for a target audience in the new language.

When I read "Elegance of the Hedgehog", I got the feeling that the French original was a very witty book, but it was translated by somebody with no sense of humor at all.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-07-2013 at 05:22 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, I have now read about 60 pages of "Wolf Hall", and I'm going to go way out on a limb. I haven't read a writer like Hillary Mantel since (are you ready?) Tolstoy. The sheer depth and enormity of what is in her mind, as the author of this work, brings to mind Anna Karenina.

If someone had handed me a huge volume, in which chapters of Wolf Hall and Anna Karenina alternated, as though they would all be tied together in the end, it would never occur to me that they were written by different authors and someone was pulling my leg.

I won't finish Wolf Hall now, it's too long and needs to be savored, and is due back at the library in a week. But I'll buy my own copy of it, and keep it next to my Anna Karenina, and from time time read a few pages of one or the other.
I went to read about this Wolf Hall to see why it is so wonderful. Was very intrigued and put in on my wish list. I asked my sissy if she had read it and the sequel or heard about them, as she is very into historical fiction. She turned around and bought them both for me! Gotta get through my small pile I've got going now before I read them, but looking forward to it.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:09 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
For those of you who enjoy the nonfiction books about the orphan train here is one. It's a free Kindle download and has some very good reviews.

Amazon.com: Forgetting Tabitha the Story of an Orphan Train Rider eBook: Julie Dewey: Kindle Store

Old 11-07-2013, 06:11 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I went to read about this Wolf Hall to see why it is so wonderful. Was very intrigued and put in on my wish list. I asked my sissy if she had read it and the sequel or heard about them, as she is very into historical fiction. She turned around and bought them both for me! Gotta get through my small pile I've got going now before I read them, but looking forward to it.
I have it on my kindle and will soon be reading it.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
For those of you who enjoy the nonfiction books about the orphan train here is one. It's a free Kindle download and has some very good reviews.

Amazon.com: Forgetting Tabitha the Story of an Orphan Train Rider eBook: Julie Dewey: Kindle Store
Thanks for the tip! I downloaded it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books