Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 02:05 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,356,231 times

Advertisements

Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,441,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Like I said, I enjoyed it but I'm also glad it's over. Does that make sense?
Yes. I find there are quite a few books I'm enjoying but at the same time I want to look ahead to how it ends because I'm ready to move on to something else.

I got the notification that "The Smoke" by Tony Broadbent and "Anne of Avonlea" by L.M. Montgomery are waiting for me at the library. Since I own "Fifty Shades of Grey," I'll be setting that aside for one of the library books-probably "Anne." I never read these as a kid so I'm making up for it now.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,956,963 times
I gave up on We Are Completely Beside Ourselves. I got lost in the story -- and not "lost" in a good way -- and then became disinterested altogether.

I was going to read Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler but, just two chapters in, I'm hating the writing style. It's too light, too flip, too blech. I might give up on it. Who am I kidding? I'm giving up on it. I'm not sure what I'll start next but Being Esther by Mariam Karmel looks like it could be good.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 11-12-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,274,952 times
Hmmm. I can tell you that the story still doesn't appear to have started in The Abominable at page 259. Maybe it starts now but I've been labouring along in the field of words thinking it had to start soon for a while. 259 pages of nothing happening is a lot of pages though, don't you think?

In between I read Picture Perfect, about Jodi Arias. Not worth the money. Not well written and there's no depth to it. But at least it moved. I needed some reassurance about that. I think maybe the Jodi Arias story needs someone like Ann Rule in her better books, the way she delves into the background of criminals. And maybe the story needs time to let the understandable outrage die down before it is committed to paper.

Well, time to do some work.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:00 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,666,305 times
I'm really enjoying The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. I had zero idea of what to expect and it's been great so far.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,532,686 times
For some light reading - "The Fiddler" by Beverly Lewis. She has a series of books based on Amish life. This will be the first one I have read but the most recent that she has out. Guess I should have started with the earlier ones but this stands on it's own. Setting is with the Pennsylvania Dutch Amish. Just starting chapter 14 of 41 and liking it fine. They are short chapters as the whole book is only 325 pages.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:01 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,276,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
For some light reading - "The Fiddler" by Beverly Lewis. She has a series of books based on Amish life. This will be the first one I have read but the most recent that she has out. Guess I should have started with the earlier ones but this stands on it's own. Setting is with the Pennsylvania Dutch Amish. Just starting chapter 14 of 41 and liking it fine. They are short chapters as the whole book is only 325 pages.
Did you know that the Pennsylvania Dutch Amish are not Dutch? This info is just something I picked up over the years. When they first settled in the US they said they were "diutsch" which means German in Old High German. Well that sounds like "Dutch" and that is how they became to be called Dutch.

All of which makes me hungry for some scrapple.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:09 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,524,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Did you know that the Pennsylvania Dutch Amish are not Dutch? This info is just something I picked up over the years. When they first settled in the US they said they were "diutsch" which means German in Old High German. Well that sounds like "Dutch" and that is how they became to be called Dutch.

All of which makes me hungry for some scrapple.
You are a veritable font, my friend.

Every time I think of the Amish, I think of the little boy that came to our RV with his little red wagon, selling moon pies. I had no idea what they were until then, and now I am hungry for THEM!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:30 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,190,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have the book theif on hold at the library I hope it is a good one anyone read it ? I am also reading another book called vegan for her . I want to eat cleaner so I have started reading everything I can get my hands on concerning the subject of vegan cooking and food .
Yes, The Book Thief is a wonderful book! It took me about 50 pages to really get into the story, but it was worth it.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,524,760 times
Just finished listening to the audiobook "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich," by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. As I listened to the life of just one day in the Russian prison camp, life around me took on a whole new glow. As I read about him slowly sucking the crumbs of the 200 mg ration of dry bread for breakfast, before going out to work in sub-zero weather all day, warmed only by a watery oatmeal gruel at lunch, suddenly my full refrigerator and pantry took on a rainbow of delights.

That said, I don't think I will need to read anything that incredibly sad for a long, long -- very long time.

" Have I not reason to lament
What man has made of man?
"
William Wordsworth
Lines Written in Early Spring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books