Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 02:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
... She's Jewish and he is Catholic. It starts out in the 1930s. They live in Eastern Europe....so, we know where this is going but may be surprised at what happens because this book is not primarily about the Holocaust. It's about faith, love, loyalty and how families deal with adversity.
I can still recall the community outrage about Kennedy running for president, because he was Catholic and swore his primary allegiance to the Pope! My aunt had to become catechized before she could marry my uncle. My grandmother was excommunicated from the church for marrying a German Lutheran.

Times have changed -- thank God! (or Allah, if you prefer)

It's funny, when I reserved "Wolf Hall" it was based on JTs recommendation and I never even looked to see what it was about. I started it last night and was amused to see it is about King Henry VIIIs court, especially as it concerns Cromwell. That's amusing because I spent long hours reading Sister Queens, one of which was Katherine of Aragon, Henry's first wife, who saw Cromwell as an enemy. Now, I am going to see the situation from another perspective. Ironic, since I've never had any real fascination for England's royalty.

So far, the writing is okay. She has a tendency to provide conversations without clearly identifying who is speaking, and that's irritating, but I can forgive it if it's her only weakness -- and do far it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 04:38 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I can still recall the community outrage about Kennedy running for president, because he was Catholic and swore his primary allegiance to the Pope! My aunt had to become catechized before she could marry my uncle. My grandmother was excommunicated from the church for marrying a German Lutheran.
That Lutheran/Catholic issue is being discussed right now in the book. The families live in Czechoslovakia which is filled with Slovaks. The Slovaks don't like the Lutherans because they feel that the government is partial to Lutherans. Interesting stuff. I know very little about the history of that part of Eastern Europe and this book is full of info about it.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 11-16-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 05:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
That Lutheran/Catholic issue is being discussed right now in the book. The families live in Czechoslovakia which is filled with Slovaks. The Slovaks don't like the Lutherans because they feel that the government is partial to Lutherans. Interesting stuff. I know very little about the history of that part of Eastern Europe and this book is full of info about it.
Yes, uncle was Polish. Aunt is on my mom's side, (Germans from Pomerania when it was part of Germany).

Old 11-17-2013, 07:35 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Bad Luck and Trouble, Lee Child. Jack Reacher #11. I finished The Hard Way (#10) in a jiffy. I stopped reading #9 (One Shot) because it was mirroring the movie so I put it down for now.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:38 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Simply magical! I am so glad that I read this book. It has been way too long since I read a book that reminded me of why I loved reading fiction so much.
Totally agree. I listened to the audio version narrated by author Neil Gaiman and it's spectacular. I could listen to Gaiman read the IRS Code and be spellbound; when he reads his own works (as he usually does), it's an other-wordly experience.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:08 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
I'm reading The Luck of the Weissensteiners by Christoph Fischer. I found this gem on amazon. Actually, amazon found it for me since it knows that one of my interests is Jewish history. It's the first book in a trilogy and I was hooked from page one. Plus, it's available for kindle at $2.99.

It's very well written and the characters are well fleshed out. Our two main characters are readers and meet in a bookstore where he works and she frequents. There is a lot of discussion about books and I know the folks in this thread will most likely enjoy that topic. She's Jewish and he is Catholic. It starts out in the 1930s. They live in Eastern Europe....so, we know where this is going but may be surprised at what happens because this book is not primarily about the Holocaust. It's about faith, love, loyalty and how families deal with adversity. It's a saga. I hope the next two books in the trilogy are as good as this one is.
I'm going to look this up!

That's my background: German Jewish mother, Catholic father. Caused quite a stir in the 1950s when they married - my Oma (grandmother) refused to speak to them but relented when I was born, because, squeee, babies.

I love family sagas as long as they are not glurgy.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:47 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm going to look this up!

That's my background: German Jewish mother, Catholic father. Caused quite a stir in the 1950s when they married - my Oma (grandmother) refused to speak to them but relented when I was born, because, squeee, babies.

I love family sagas as long as they are not glurgy.
Oh my. What a bodacious word. I've never heard it before and it actually took me a while, okay, 2 minutes, to find the definition. "Sickeningly sweet." I agree. I would not want to read a family saga that is glurgy. Yippee! I've learned a new word. Thanks, Chiroptera.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:25 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Sovereign by C.J. Sansom.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Oh my. What a bodacious word. I've never heard it before and it actually took me a while, okay, 2 minutes, to find the definition. "Sickeningly sweet." I agree. I would not want to read a family saga that is glurgy. Yippee! I've learned a new word. Thanks, Chiroptera.
I am going to use glurgy in a sentence at least once tomorrow! It might replace my other favorite word, "logy"

Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
I'm reading The Luck of the Weissensteiners by Christoph Fischer. I found this gem on amazon. Actually, amazon found it for me since it knows that one of my interests is Jewish history. It's the first book in a trilogy and I was hooked from page one. Plus, it's available for kindle at $2.99.

It's very well written and the characters are well fleshed out. Our two main characters are readers and meet in a bookstore where he works and she frequents. There is a lot of discussion about books and I know the folks in this thread will most likely enjoy that topic. She's Jewish and he is Catholic. It starts out in the 1930s. They live in Eastern Europe....so, we know where this is going but may be surprised at what happens because this book is not primarily about the Holocaust. It's about faith, love, loyalty and how families deal with adversity. It's a saga. I hope the next two books in the trilogy are as good as this one is.
I want to read the luck of the weissensteiners so bad I have heard it is really good .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books