Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 04:48 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times

Advertisements

Well Im listening to "The Ocean at the end of the Lane "by Neil gamain and also reading "Bridge of scarlet leaves " by Kristina McMorris so far Im enjoying both .Have not had much time to read though so im hoping I will find the time .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 06:42 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I just heard the word for the first time upthread! I just wanted to use it.
I was wondering if it was a more or less (more more than less) nice way to let some senders of glurgy emails know they are glurgy?

Old 11-22-2013, 06:46 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
About The Goldfinch - there is this one beautiful line "But sometimes, unexpectedly, grief pounded over me in waves that left me gasping; and when the waves washed back, I found myself looking out over a brackish wreck which was illumined in a light so lucid, so heartsick and empty, that I could hardly remember that the world had ever been anything but dead."

I can't help but think that the writer has lost someone dear enough to her to know all about grief.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:15 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I was wondering if it was a more or less (more more than less) nice way to let some senders of glurgy emails know they are glurgy?
I don't really get glurgy emails anymore but I see lots of glurgy things on Facebook. I just skip over those.

I started The Wishing Box by Dashka Slater last night. It was a Kindle daily deal. Only read about 10 pages before falling asleep, but I liked those, so I'm hopeful.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:01 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
About The Goldfinch - there is this one beautiful line "But sometimes, unexpectedly, grief pounded over me in waves that left me gasping; and when the waves washed back, I found myself looking out over a brackish wreck which was illumined in a light so lucid, so heartsick and empty, that I could hardly remember that the world had ever been anything but dead."

I can't help but think that the writer has lost someone dear enough to her to know all about grief.
For me grief was a rise of strangling anxiety that gave me palpitations and the inability to breathe, making me feel that it was me that was dying, rather than my mom who was already dead, but I know what you mean.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
"Glurgy" will come in handy if you're writing a poem and need a word to rhyme with "clergy."
I think "glurgy" has a hard-G, like "icebergy", so you are pretty much stuck with the last word in the dictionary, "zymurgy", to rhyme with "clergy". Or "metallurgy". Or "energy".

Old 11-22-2013, 02:39 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think "glurgy" has a hard-G, like "icebergy", so you are pretty much stuck with the last word in the dictionary, "zymurgy", to rhyme with "clergy". Or "metallurgy". Or "energy".
You're bringing me down, dude.

But I also feel a limerick circling around my brain.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:14 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,488 times
Im reading "Iced: by Carol Higgins Clark
I just lover her books great mystery and humor all around, I almost finished in a day and that was with working 8 hours hehe

Old 11-23-2013, 07:06 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, I have now read about 60 pages of "Wolf Hall", and I'm going to go way out on a limb. I haven't read a writer like Hillary Mantel since (are you ready?) Tolstoy.
Okay, JT, I owe you an apology for giving you a ration when I picked up my copy of "Wolf Hall" from the library, about it being such a tome. I am within 100 (large print) pages of finishing it, and I've already checked out it's sequel, "Bring up the Bodies." Sadly, I could not get the Kindle version, so I am going to make do with the audio version. I cannot hold another monster book for so long, again. My hands just ache from the reading!

And, I agree with you about her being every bit as powerful as Tolstoy. I have been as enthralled with it as I was with "War and Peace," which is one of the five books I would want if I could only have five.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:22 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
Quote:
That's how I first encountered the term, as a descriptor for sickly sweet emails and websites with an overabundance of angels, unicorns farting sparkly rainbows and faux Native American imagery.
Thankfully those seem to have become less popular. Or, maybe I just got better at scaring away people who sent me such nonsense.
FWIW, I pronounce it to rhyme with clergy - first g hard, second soft.

I just finished Grisham's Sycamore Row. Good, but not as good as A Time to Kill. I thought it had a weak and improbable ending, that I saw coming from about half-way through the book.

Next up! a long way gone, memoirs of a boy soldier in Sierra Leone. I wanted to read it when it came out, then forgot, and a friend just gave it to me.

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier: Ishmael Beah: 9780374531263: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books