Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times

Advertisements

Before I started Twelve Years a Slave, I decided to read these slave narratives. Amazon.com: When I Was a Slave: Memoirs from the Slave Narrative Collection (Dover Thrift Editions) eBook: Norman R. Yetman: Kindle Store

I never knew about this project, but during the Great Depression, one of the work projects was sending people out to interview others who had been slaves prior to the Civil War. They were all in their 80's and older (duh!) and their stories were recorded and transcribed. Although we all know about slavery, reading these first person accounts has been fascinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 05:07 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,731,491 times
Now I'm reading "Grain Brain" written by neurologist David Perlmutter. The key idea he is presenting is that gluten is probably bad for everyone - not just people who have celiac disease or gluten intolerance. Basically, even if you have no obvious symptoms of gluten intolerance, you could still be putting yourself at risk for neurological problems by eating gluten (primarily wheat, rye, and barley). Permutter also advocates a low-carb diet for essentially the same reasons. I think his research and conclusions are good, but I am annoyed by some occasional slippage into what I guess I'll call "pop talk" - a hyped style of writing that feels more like "sales talk" than professional neurological advice. Luckily, these lapses are only occasional. Overall I think this book is going to tip the balance in of public and profession opinion in favor of low-carb - and perhaps even gluten-free - diets.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,230 times
reading a guide book on Banff National Park....wanting to do a lot of hiking and camping next year and hopefully be a guide one day

Old 12-26-2013, 09:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
reading a guide book on Banff National Park....wanting to do a lot of hiking and camping next year and hopefully be a guide one day
How exciting! You can write about your travels then!

Old 12-27-2013, 08:07 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
I finished the third edition of "Pilgrim's Regress," by C.S. Lewis this morning. I state the 3rd edition because it includes an Afterward from Lewis describing his remarks after re-reading it ten years after its original publication. It was interesting to me that he found it "unnecessarily obscure" as I did. (Don't we all just LOVE being validated? )

Goodreads lists the book's original title as: "The Pilgrim's Regress: An Allegorical Apology for Christianity Reason and Romanticism." After reading it I understand why the title was changed: 1. It is definitely not an apology for Christianity. It describes allegorically his path to Christianity, but does not apologize the conversion. More or less, it is an allegorical "road trip" to that destination. 2. As he describes in detail in the Afterward, his definition of "romantic" is more the classical definition, and even at the time of his publication (1933) most readers' definition of the term would be far different.

It was clever, even with the obscurity. I found myself mentally tuning out whenever he "waxed poetic" about one or another (insignificant to the "story") aspect that I felt was obscure. In the end, even with the glossing over, I came to more or less the same conclusion as his characters:

1. Life is meant to be a series of trials and challenges which we must face and work THROUGH to be truly alive.
2. One cannot hold onto anything in life because as soon as it's moment is past, it is dead.
3. Don't count on another chance but live this moment while it's here for the taking.

If you are like me and believe in a soul separate from the physical presence, and the One Spirit that manifests within each of us individually but all the same, you will find rewards in reading this book. If you don't, you still might enjoy it for just the story.

Next up: Helene Hanff's "84 Charing Cross Road"

Old 12-27-2013, 08:14 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
What an amazing part of the world! That is my second favorite place to hike. My hands-down favorite is Yoho Park (Lake O'hara). Enjoy!

Old 12-27-2013, 08:15 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,503 times
Just finished And the Mountains Echoed. Liked it just as much as his previous books.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:20 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
What an amazing part of the world! That is my second favorite place to hike. My hands-down favorite is Yoho Park (Lake O'hara). Enjoy!
Have either of you hiked in utah ? most of that is awesome to hike in also some parts of sedona arizona are awesome too ...those are some great places to hike ....just a suggestion . take care fellow hikers .

Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Just finished Me Before You (HIGHLY recommend)
Loved this book as well as The Girl You Left Behind. The author is Jojo Mayes.

Just finished Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.

All good stuff, esp Brunt's book.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:56 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Just finished The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. Loved the book, loved Tartt's writing style. However...

Spoiler

Was really disappointed at the end of the book when the main "mystery" never
got solved. Commentaries online said that Tartt did that to show how most
of our "mysteries" we encounter in life never get solved, and learning that is
part of becoming an adult. Blah, blah, blah. But it sure pissed me off
since I was not expecting it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books