Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,375,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I went to read up on Disobedience and realized I'd already read it. Doh! I love Jane Hamilton.

Started Outlander by Diana Gabaldon last night. Still not sure about it.
Absolutely loved the Outlander series!!! One of my all time favorites! You might want to go on reading it. I've read them three times and listened to the Audio books twice. As soon as the next one's out I'll give them another go

BTW, I read the first part of the Inkheart Trilogy and got the other two volumes as Audio books. My mom has read all three. I like them a lot. Thanks for the recommendation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:12 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,524,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
BTW, I read the first part of the Inkheart Trilogy and got the other two volumes as Audio books. My mom has read all three. I like them a lot. Thanks for the recommendation!
Good to know! I've got the first on my ZUNE and almost listened to it this time, but felt like a Nesbo rush instead.

Speaking of which, "Nemesis" is very good, if you like alcoholic detectives that break all the rules mysteries.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:54 PM

278 posts, read 273,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Nothing like a good relaxing snooze! I think it happens to everyone! Thank goodness that you can always go back and pick up where you dropped off!

I usually listen to them when I am captive in an activity that doesn't require ALL of my mental focus, like needlework, knitting, gardening, etc. Even then there are times when something I hear pulls my mind off on a "red herring" and I have to pull myself back to the story and go back to where I got side-tracked.

HAVE you discovered the joys of Goodreads? It will give you recommendations based on your particular reading interests. I use it to look at books recommended here. It's a great "2nd filter" for reading selections. It's also a reader's social network page, so you can see what your friends have read and what they've said in their reviews. I like this thread for the coziness of seeing all of you and what you are reading, but when I am faced -- like you are now, with indecision, I go to Goodreads. Good luck!
I LOVE goodreads. Its my addiction! Its like a drug to me I swear I can spend hours on there and not be satisfied.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:56 AM

6 posts, read 6,770 times
I got a book for Christmas, a hard copy of Tom Clancy's Command Authority. I love TC. I havent dug into it yet though, I have been too busy reading and editing my own stuff to read someone else's, but I am sure I will enjoy it.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,667,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Absolutely loved the Outlander series!!! One of my all time favorites! You might want to go on reading it. I've read them three times and listened to the Audio books twice. As soon as the next one's out I'll give them another go

I'm about 13% into the first Outlander book so far and still not sure. I don't hate it or anything, so I'm going to keep reading and see what happens. The writing is fine and the time-travel aspect is interesting--not sure why it's not grabbing me. I want to love it because I enjoy long series--so we'll see.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,341,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm about 13% into the first Outlander book so far and still not sure. I don't hate it or anything, so I'm going to keep reading and see what happens. The writing is fine and the time-travel aspect is interesting--not sure why it's not grabbing me. I want to love it because I enjoy long series--so we'll see.
I really hope it changes for you and you get sucked in. Maybe it's just not the right book right now?

I am re-reading The Help. I have been in a reading slump due to my craft projects I needed to get done for Christmas presents. I've tried a couple of short stories that were short enough to finish but not great. So I decided to re-read something I've really enjoyed previously. So far so good!

Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,571,317 times
I just finished Going Clear, the new book about Scientology.

I normally have to really motivate myself to read non-fiction, but Wowza! This was a really interesting book, and I couldn't put it down.

It's astounding and shocking what people will believe, and what they will do or not do in support of that belief.

I highly recommend the book for people interested in history, religion, psychology, science fiction, anthropology, politics, and similar. It definitely makes one think!

Now I want to re-read Stranger in a Strange Land and see if I can pick up on the allusions.

Just fascinating!

Old 01-08-2014, 02:39 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,025,925 times
well im now reading "Miss Dreamsville and the collier county womens literary society " it is a really good book . very humorous and I m loving it ....I hope it continues this way . thanks all .

Old 01-08-2014, 03:56 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,524,760 times
I finished listening to "Nemesis," number four in Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series.

Reading this was like being a captive passenger in the back of a stolen car driven by a crazed drunk with no fear. The sharp turns and plot complications left me white-knuckled with a racing heart. At least that was how it felt. As much as I want to read the next one right away, I think I am going to have to take it a bit easier for my next read. Maybe a cozy.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:05 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,276,191 times
I started reading The Daughters of Mars yesterday. The author is Thomas Keneally who wrote Schindler's List.

It's a novel but based on the written journals of folks in WWI. The two sisters (daughters) from a farm in Australia are also registered nurses and they join the military nurse corps. The story is about what happens to them and others as they travel into war zones, etc.

Keneally is blessed with an amazing gift for writing. This book is meticulous and it is also very interesting. I think I am going to love it because I already do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books