Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 04:49 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,488 times

Advertisements

Nancy Drew: Lost in the Everglades
ive taken a huge interest in the Everglades lately hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 05:17 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
Amber, have you read any books by Carl Hiasson? Many are set in the Everglades. His books are funny and pretty quick reads.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Amber, have you read any books by Carl Hiasson? Many are set in the Everglades. His books are funny and pretty quick reads.
I'll second that. DH and I love Carl's books.

As I thought would be the case, I tossed "Songs of Willow Frost" on the return to library stack and moved on.

Now reading: "On an Irish Island," by Robert Kanigel

Recharging the Kindle, just in case it's time to dive into another book right away.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'll second that. DH and I love Carl's books.

As I thought would be the case, I tossed "Songs of Willow Frost" on the return to library stack and moved on.

Now reading: "On an Irish Island," by Robert Kanigel

Recharging the Kindle, just in case it's time to dive into another book right away.

I've got it on my wish list so I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Oh, oh, oh. Just the mention of the title makes me smile. Cutting for Stone is one of my favorite books.
Enjoy.
I just put Cutting for Stone on my amazon wishlist. This time I'll probably buy the print version in German so my mom can read it too. Sounds very interesting.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,691 times
I'm finally reading Gone with the Wind. As an English major and supreme book lover, I can't believe I have gotten through 35 years of life without reading it. So far, so good.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
I just finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. It was on the tipty top of so many best books lists, and I'm sure many of you have read it. Did you like it? It was kind of a hard slog for me, I'll admit. With so many literary time travel books in the past few years, the close thematic relationship in this book seemed a little tired to me. But I can definitely see the movie based on this book coming out in a few years, starring Cate Blanchett, and I'm sure she'll win an Oscar. Yawn.

Time to cleanse my palate with a good trashy romance!

Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yes I read one I think called Tourist Trap maybe? something about and alligator and a murder
it was pretty good and witty, got any specific recommendations for me?

I just finished Nick Carters book Facing The Music
I found it quite inspiring as I am going through a rough time so I loved reading how Nick crashed and burned but then turned his life around for the better!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
Yes I read one I think called Tourist Trap maybe? something about and alligator and a murder
it was pretty good and witty, got any specific recommendations for me?

I just finished Nick Carters book Facing The Music
I found it quite inspiring as I am going through a rough time so I loved reading how Nick crashed and burned but then turned his life around for the better!
I dislike the family of Nick Carter when he was younger my sisters family lived right next door to them in Tampa
Florida and she was having a garage sale and he was using his bullhorn and telling people at my sisters garage
sale to get off his lawn . His mother was obnoxious as hell too that whole family had problems and they wanted everyone in that neighborhood to kiss their behinds , so anything they write NO THANK YOU . I saw them in action and they had problems with a capital P .

Old 01-21-2014, 09:33 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,927 times
Just finished “A Billion Wicked Thoughts: What the World’s Largest Experiment Reveals About Human Desire” by Ogi Ogas and Sai Gaddam (2011).
The authors draw conclusions about "turn-ons" based on analysis of (anonymous) internet search histories.
A few excerpts:
Quote:
“Men experienced a strong correlation between the arousal of mind and body. Women did not.”
Quote:
“This strange clash of busty, giggling airheads and tall, brooding dukes produces mutual dismay.
Where men see sexy, women often see misogyny. Where women see sexy, men often see arrogant jerks with split personalities.”
Quote:
“The subject frequently leads to defensiveness: getting excited by a fantasy is not the same thing as wanting it in real life.”
Intellectually, I realize there's a lot of diversity to what humans find sexy/attractive-
it sure made me feel relatively conventional and pedestrian in my, ummm, "interests".

How much one enjoys this book may depend on how much of the material one relates to or identifies with.
I think I'd have found it more compelling & validating if I were more "unusual" or niche in my tastes/preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books