Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 12:33 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,822 times

Advertisements

'The Serialist' - David Gordon.

I read a blurb about the book, for some reason it really took off in Japan (they've made a movie based on the book), they treat him like a huge celebrity, here in the States no one really knows him.

Not exactly something I would usually pick up but so far so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 05:44 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
I just got Explore the Southeast National Marine Sanctuaries with Jean-Michel Cousteau in the mail today and he also signed it so im just digging into that now
Perhaps you can become a Marine Ranger!

I started into "Philo of Alexandria" a couple of days ago but like "The Evolution of God" it is more of a book to study than to escape into. I think I need an escape book for awhile.

Yesterday a friend introduced me to a new (to me) author and I downloaded a short audiobook by her ("Aliens in America," by Sandra Tsing Loh), but it just wasn't for me. I listened to about an hour of it while sewing and had to turn it off -- forever.

I learned this morning that my library has two books ready for pick up:

"Asking for Murder," By Roberta Isleib
Roberta is a friend of my sister who lives in Key West, and we've become Facebook friends. She has two different cozy mystery series, and I've read one before. It wasn't as saccharine as some others, so I am hoping it will be just the ticket.

and

"Mother: A Novel in Two Parts, By Maxim Gorky
I actually started reading Russian authors way back when because I wanted to better understand the "real" people instead of only the rich and powerful that so many authors want to write about. All these years and I discover that Gorky's forte was writing about them. This will be the first I have read by him.

Happy Friday, my reading friends.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:12 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't remember how I came across The Changeling by Zilpha Keatley Snyder but from the Amazon reviews it sounded like it was a well-loved classic (?). This is a kid's book which I don't normally read but it has a sweetness about it and I'm almost through it. And I am sure I would have adored it as a pre-teen.
I have never heard of that one either. It dies look like something sweet to read.

I get into those slumps also. I am surrounded by books and sometimes it is very hard to start a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
This is about a movie but the movie is based on one of my favorite books The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

I saw the movie trailer. It's due out this summer. The two main characters are presented exactly as I envisioned them while reading the book. I'm not sure I can stand to watch the movie because the book broke my heart. It broke my heart but it is a masterpiece that I will read again and again.
I have that on my to read list. My SIL read it and loved it, my niece on the other hand hated it. Then again that is the niece who reads "Vampire Smut", lol.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,344 times
I'm reading House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. So far, I really like it.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Starting Issac's Storm by Erik Larsen this weekend.
It is about the hurricane in 1900 that destroyed Galveston and killed thousands of people

Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I finished The Changeling and it was a very good book. It had some stuff about the author at the back and I think she won the Newberry award a couple of times for her other books. I think girls who are around 10 years old would particularly love it. I'm kind of sorry that I have the Kindle version as I am sure that I have nieces who are pre-teens who would love it and relate to it. I am going to stick that author into the highlighted section of my brain and keep an eye out for her books to give to children.

A well-written book that sees deep into childhood.

And now I'm back to playing about in a pile of books until something captures my attention. Or maybe I'll wash my walls.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
And now I'm back to playing about in a pile of books until something captures my attention. Or maybe I'll wash my walls.
Running a bit "hot or cold" there, my friend?

Old 01-31-2014, 05:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Starting Issac's Storm by Erik Larsen this weekend.
It is about the hurricane in 1900 that destroyed Galveston and killed thousands of people
Eager to hear your review. I love Erik Larsen's style.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
the wolf gift ann rice, a real stinker

Old 01-31-2014, 07:00 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the wolf gift ann rice, a real stinker
I really enjoyed the "Lasher" series by Rice but I think she went off her rocker several years ago. Or, maybe I went off mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books