Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 02:56 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

I gave up on both letters from home and Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children. I hope to find something better to read . Oh well can't have good books all the time right ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 05:49 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Finished Wonder by R J Palacio and am now reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt.
How did you like it? My granddaughter's school gave all the children that book to read. I may borrow it when her and her mother are finished with it.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:39 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
How did you like it? My granddaughter's school gave all the children that book to read. I may borrow it when her and her mother are finished with it.
I really liked it. I think it has a good message. I was going to read it aloud with my kids, but all of a sudden I was slammed with a bunch of library books so I read it quickly on my own first. I put myself back on the hold list for the library and will get it again to read with them or I may just buy it and read it with them. While it is a children's book, I do think it is a good reminder for all ages on how we treat people and our responses to people who looks different.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Finished Wonder by R J Palacio and am now reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt.
I've been meaning to read Wonder. Thanks for the reminder.

How are you liking The Secret History? I read it when it first came out and I loved it.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I gave up on White Dog Fell From the Sky, even though I'm sure it's a great book. Don't know why, other than I knew it was going to be intense and emotional and I'm all about fluffy entertainment these days. I started The Chaperone and am not sure about it. But I remember several people saying it took a while to grab them, so I'm going to keep reading.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
I really liked it. I think it has a good message. I was going to read it aloud with my kids, but all of a sudden I was slammed with a bunch of library books so I read it quickly on my own first. I put myself back on the hold list for the library and will get it again to read with them or I may just buy it and read it with them. While it is a children's book, I do think it is a good reminder for all ages on how we treat people and our responses to people who looks different.
Good to know. I will ask my stepdaughter for it when they finish it

I hear you about library books, lol. I just ordered about 5 more books this morning

I just finished Paper Towns. Ehh…it was ok. I do have the Fault If Our Stars on order from my library.

I will be starting Hostage by Kay Hooper later today and also The Stranger You Know by Andrea Kane.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've been meaning to read Wonder. Thanks for the reminder.

How are you liking The Secret History? I read it when it first came out and I loved it.
I have barely started it, only the prologue so far. I think it sounds really good though. I'll get some chapters read tonight I'm sure so I'll have a better idea after that.

Heads up on Wonder. Parts of it are from a child's point of view and I know that's not your favorite, but I still think it is really a great read (not great literature but a great story and message).

Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good to know. I will ask my stepdaughter for it when they finish it

I hear you about library books, lol. I just ordered about 5 more books this morning

I just finished Paper Towns. Ehh…it was ok. I do have the Fault If Our Stars on order from my library.

I will be starting Hostage by Kay Hooper later today and also The Stranger You Know by Andrea Kane.

I hope you will enjoy The Fault in Our Stars more than "Ehh...it was okay." I really liked both books. I like John Green's writing and storytelling.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I'm 2/3 of the way through The Husband's Secret (I know the secret now so it really isn't a secret anymore). I'm enjoying it. I particularly like that it is set in Australia (Sydney and Melbourne) - not set there in a picturesque sort of way, more in a suburban casual sort of way.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:

Heads up on Wonder. Parts of it are from a child's point of view and I know that's not your favorite, but I still think it is really a great read (not great literature but a great story and message).
Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll have to make sure that I'm in the right mood before I start it, then.

Speaking of moods, I'm in a book funk. As much as I was looking forward to An Unnecessary Woman, that's as much as I was disenchanted with it. Granted, I only read the first 40 or so pages, but I fell asleep twice -- TWICE!! -- while reading them. So I gave up. Then I started The Invention of Wings. I forgot how much I hate books about slavery. I hate them just as much as books about the Holocaust. So that was that, and only after about a dozen pages. Next one I'm going to try: Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan. She wrote Loving Frank (which I loved). That one featured Frank Lloyd Wright. This one features Robert Louis Stevenson. Fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books