Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 05:03 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times

Advertisements

Thank you ladies…

I am about halfway through Cutting For Stone and I really like it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane last night. I really liked it.

Today I plan to start Lois Lowry's A Summer to Die.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane last night. I really liked it.

Today I plan to start Lois Lowry's A Summer to Die.
I really liked The Ocean at the End of the Lane and I'm so happy that someone is going to read my childhood tear-jerker, A Summer to Die, that I struggled to think of the name of until C2ShiningC came up with it for me on this forum. I remembered some of the oddest snippets from that book and should join you in a re-read.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I am almost done with The Savage Harvest. I liked it much more than I would have expected. The author does a good job of laying out the geopolitical climate and how that impacted the aftermath of Michael Rockefeller's disappearance. It is amazing to me how recently these events took place as it is hard to wrap my head (no pun intended...) around tribesmen who were practicing beheading and cannibalism and had no modern anything in my lifetime.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:16 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,488 times
just started Mockinjay, the third book in the Hunger Games series. About two chapters in and so far so good

Old 03-27-2014, 04:30 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
I started Crow Lake today, and it is really very good.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:15 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I really liked The Ocean at the End of the Lane and I'm so happy that someone is going to read my childhood tear-jerker, A Summer to Die, that I struggled to think of the name of until C2ShiningC came up with it for me on this forum. I remembered some of the oddest snippets from that book and should join you in a re-read.
The name of the author of A Summer to Die, Lois Lowry, grabbed me. She wrote The Giver which I think is a mighty fine book.

I read The Giver when my goddaughter read it in the 7th grade. Those few years when she was in elementary school and early middle school contributed to my love of YA literature. One of the funniest and "funnest" books I read was The Stinky Cheese Man. I howled with laughter as the fairy tales we all know were mixed around and retold in a fruit-basket-turn-over style.

So, I'm going to read A Summer to Die starting this evening. Thank you, pinetreelover and C2ShiningC.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The name of the author of A Summer to Die, Lois Lowry, grabbed me. She wrote The Giver which I think is a mighty fine book.

I read The Giver when my goddaughter read it in the 7th grade. Those few years when she was in elementary school and early middle school contributed to my love of YA literature. One of the funniest and "funnest" books I read was The Stinky Cheese Man. I howled with laughter as the fairy tales we all know were mixed around and retold in a fruit-basket-turn-over style.

So, I'm going to read A Summer to Die starting this evening. Thank you, pinetreelover and C2ShiningC.
Remember there are 4 books in The Giver series. I also enjoyed The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry. I read another one, something with birthday in the title. Seemed fairy tale-ish. I did enjoy it but not nearly as much as the others.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:51 PM

Number The Stars by Lois Lowry is excellent too.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:50 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Hi all, new to the Books forum, but since I am an avid reader who enjoys getting new book/author ideas from forums such as this,here I am!

I enjoy many genres in fiction and nonfiction. I tend to read and watch movies in spurts of ones that are similar to each other,such as type or subject matter,do other people do that too,lol?

For instance,I just finished reading 3 nonfiction books on the history of the Oregon and California trails and settling of the west.

I was also fascinated by the history and totally loved the two Harvey Girl historical/inspirational romance series by Tracie Peterson.The Desert Roses and Westward Chronicles series.Wish there were more books like them.Non inspirational would be fine too,as long as they are clean,don't read profanity,or explicit sex.

Right now I'm beginning a thriller kick and am reading The Roswell Conspiracy: Tyler Locke 3 (An International Thriller) by Boyd Morrison. This was a Kindle freebie for me,and it is very well rated.I love conspiracy stories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books