Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 03:26 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
As a 50 year old man I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm reading the sixth installment of the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Claire called City of Heavenly Fire. I blame my ex on getting me hooked on these damn things, but I really do enjoy them. 18% in, and it's just as good as I expected it to be!
Don't be embarrassed. All of us here are tickled to death to find an author we enjoy. It does not matter what the genre is and the sex/age of the reader should never keep a reader from reading.

Tell your guy pals that the Mortal Instruments series is about US Marines in the Middle East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 03:30 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,539 times
The Bible and The Inspirational Study Bible by Max Lucado. Also Under The Dome by Stephen King.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:32 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Mattie by Judy Alter.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:53 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Girl in the Box Series, Books 1 - 3
(17 year old girl, discovers she's a "Meta", and her subsequent adventures)

At the 90% mark on the 3rd book - don't want it to end!!
Will start looking for Books 4 - 10 freebies

Old 06-20-2014, 06:02 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,145 times
Haunted Ground by Erin Hart - for my book group

Old 06-20-2014, 10:11 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
As a 50 year old man I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm reading the sixth installment of the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Claire called City of Heavenly Fire. I blame my ex on getting me hooked on these damn things, but I really do enjoy them. 18% in, and it's just as good as I expected it to be!
I've never read that series, but saw the movie and can tell that I would like them. Nearing 50 and will admit to loving Harry Potter AND the Twilight books.

Judge away!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-21-2014, 06:52 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
No worries…we read all kinds of books

Quote:
I recently reread The Passage and The Twelve and really do love Cronin's writing style. I pray that the third installment comes out this year. He began writing these books for his daughter, because she wanted to read a book about a "girl that saves the world". They are really fascinating books!

Consider this a bump for a wonderful author.
I read The Passage and enjoyed it. Right now I am leaning towards shorted or quicker reads so I will have to wait to read The Twelve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Mattie by Judy Alter.
Added it…thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Girl in the Box Series, Books 1 - 3
(17 year old girl, discovers she's a "Meta", and her subsequent adventures)

At the 90% mark on the 3rd book - don't want it to end!!
Will start looking for Books 4 - 10 freebies
Ooh…I just downloaded it for free

Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,638 times
I'm about a 1/4 way into Defending Jacob by William Landay‎. Three different and unconnected people told me it was fantastic but I'm not feeling it yet. I'm actually having a hard time sticking with it.

Before that I read The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henríquez which I loved until the very end when I thought it dragged a bit. But totally worth a read.

Last edited by Obrero; 06-21-2014 at 07:07 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 06:59 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
I am not being too successful with my next book choice.

I started Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. My stepdaughter loaned it to me awhile ago and I was in between books. Then yesterday I took my granddaughter to the Summer Reading program at my library and we got the Flipped DVD. We watched it last night and now I have no desire to read it

Then I was going to read The Other Story by Tatiana de Rosnay and then I read the reviews. I have to pass.

Next up I was going to read Conspiracies (Repairman Jack #3) by F. Paul Wilson but now I'm not sure if I need to read that series in order.

Soo….now I think I will give The Collector by Nora Roberts a try. Hopefully that one will click

Old 06-21-2014, 08:50 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am not being too successful with my next book choice.

I started Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. My stepdaughter loaned it to me awhile ago and I was in between books. Then yesterday I took my granddaughter to the Summer Reading program at my library and we got the Flipped DVD. We watched it last night and now I have no desire to read it

Then I was going to read The Other Story by Tatiana de Rosnay and then I read the reviews. I have to pass.

Next up I was going to read Conspiracies (Repairman Jack #3) by F. Paul Wilson but now I'm not sure if I need to read that series in order.

Soo….now I think I will give The Collector by Nora Roberts a try. Hopefully that one will click

Sounds like you are going through the reading circle like me and it seems like any book I pick up I hate here lately ..I guess we all go through this crap every once and a while .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books